You are here

He just doesn't understand how I feel.

SPCAMutt26's picture

I'm new to the site and it has been a big help to know I'm not alone in all this. I've been with my boyfriend for 2 years now. He has a 5 year old daughter and we get her for Christmas and summer break because she lives in another state. She is not a bad kid and we get along pretty well. I'm not used to having a kid around and I really don't get to spend regular time with her other than a few months a year. Some days are just so hard for me as I'd imagine with anyone who has kids and still works full time. And when I need to step away and have some time to myself my boyfriend makes me feel like I don't care and gets mad. I feel like that he doesn't understand how much of an adjustment it is for me to have her around but he says that I'm just complaining. I'm not trying to push my relationship with her and just taking the role as friend/playmate. I do care about her but I don't love her like she's my own and at times I feel guilty and judged that I don't get "mommy feelings" when I feel I should. I just don't know how to talk to him about my feelings without him getting offended or feel like I don't love his little girl. We have a great relationship otherwise and I feel like we need to tackle this now or it will ruin us.

shootingstarz's picture

I told my DH the other day how I feel about his kids being around. It may or may not work for you. Read my last blog. Smile

DaizyDuke's picture

I feel guilty and judged that I don't get "mommy feelings" when I feel I should
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
What makes you feel like you "should" because your BF says you "should"? Because society says you "should"? you should NOT feel like you are a bad person for NOT loving a child that is NOT yours. Does your BF have any distant cousins? Does he love them the same as his own child? I highly doubt it and IMHO that's how I feel about my skids... like they are distant cousins... I care about them to an extent that I wouldn't wish them any harm, but would be happy to see them a couple times a year (birthday and christmas) and be done with it.

shootingstarz's picture

I feel as though they are more like strangers off the street than a distant cousin. Atleast there is some sort of relation with a distant cousin!

SPCAMutt26's picture

I'm sure deep down inside he wants us to be a family like he used to have with his ex wife but it still won't make me her mother. Maybe men just don't get it that you can't just hand us a kid and say love it and we can. I'm a vet tech and I love animals but you can't make me love a dog the way I love my dog....maybe I just have to look at it in that way.