You are here

Just wanted to say Thank You!!!

Amberelle11's picture

I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank everyone on this site for offering a safe place to go for support and for the great advice! I am not very active in terms of contributing to conversations on here (mostly because I'm so new to this situation and learning and just not sure how to help!), but I do come on here quite often when I feel down and just need to know I'm not alone! This site has helped me in so many ways deal with my emotions with my situation with my sd's (14 and 18yrs) and has helped me deal with so many situations waaaaayyy better than I would have on my own.

Most importantly, it has helped me emotionally release! I held so much frustration, anger and guilt and have been learning to "disengage"! Once in a while it creeps back up, but then I just remind myself what I have learned on here! I do still feel bad for DH once in a while, but even he has come to me and changed his ways massively due to what I've been relaying on to him! (Even his parents are on board and supporting us and our decisions as well!) This never would have been the case if I hadn't had a site like this to come to and learn how to respond to things!

Our relationship with our SD's are non-existant right now because we basically started standing up for ourselves and not giving them things when they demand it. We have learned that our relationship with them only exists when they want something or cash from us, and since we are refusing to make a relationship with them one likend to an ATM machine, we are no longer of any use to them. So for the last 2 months, they have been ignoring us completely and any of our attempts to contact them. My first reaction is to panick and try to "mend" this relationship and be angry then feel guilty about it, etc. But because of this site, I was able to go to my husband and say that I'm backing off, and he can choose to deal with this as he wishes, but please consult me if it will effect us both financially. He told me his intentions after 2 months was to just back off, let them do their things, and when they call asking for money again, he will say no, that they are welcomed to call and be a part of OUR family, which included actually caring about one another as people, but that did not include his finances (outside of child support) as they are not respectful of us and we are not an atm machine. I'm proud of him! My DH and I are moving on and so much happier!

Thank you all, things would have been soo much worse without this site!

Freshstart's picture

This is a great post. Watching someone you love get used is tough. Well done to you and your DH for making your way together. It helps to read that other couples find their way.

I also appreciate stranger's time to help me when I have hit rock bottom doing 50/50 with a teenage SD17 in what sounds like some similar circumstances.

Well done and good luck out there in the step parenting world!

stepdad_visitoronstrangeworld's picture

I've been a member of this site for only 3 hours and found so much support already. It's a blessing. Good luck to all of us on a flight back to near sanity.