You are here

any stepfamilies with a deceased biological mum?

katerra's picture

Hi I am wondering if there are any families scenarios where the biological mom has passed away? I am a stepmom of two girls. ( My husband and I have been together for 10 years now . I have been together with the girls and my husband since the youngest girl was 3 and the other girl was 6). My relationship with everyone involved has been very great, and probably could not ask for anything better! BUT, I cannot figure out why I don't feel like part of the family sometimes. I feel as though I am just the maid,or nag to see this family though until they are old enough to be on their own. I used to have the girls biological mom in my life as well, ( sounds strange, but it worked well and we got along quite well!)
Is this just because I don't have children of my own? I really feel like I have no idea what I am doing.
Thanks for listening,

Katerra.

Queeny's picture

Yup! BM dead. Have a mess at home with blending the family. Didn't expect BM's death and hate the situation I'm in. But I will say, adding a baby has made things worse. If you really want to feel like you don't know what you are doing, add a baby.

Shaman29's picture

Not me, but my SIL is married to my DH's BIL. DH's sister passed away nearly 8 years ago. DH's BIL remarried about 2 years later.

The kids (niece & nephew) were 14 & 11 when their mom passed away. BIL's new wife actually worked with and was friends with DH's sister. Which was fortunate, as it enabled her to help share in their memories.

Her relationship with her skids is pretty good, a few bumps in the road. She has a better relationship with our nephew, but still maintains a strong one with our niece.

However, despite all of this she is not happy. My BIL was very much in love with DH's sister when she passed away (breast cancer). DH's sister was one of a kind (I never knew her, she passed before DH and I met) and by all accounts was an amazing person. When we visit, my BIL sometimes with reminisce with DH about his wife/DH's sister.

I know BIL loves my SIL, however I think the only thing holding their relationship together was the kids. Both of whom no longer live at home. The last time we were there, every time my BIL said anything, she bit his head off. When he headed outside to grill steaks for dinner, she started bad-mouthing him to the kids and me. She does this all of the time know. I fear their marriage will not sustain her bitterness with his feelings towards his late wife.

Strangely enough, it's not the skids that are the issue in this relationship, but deep issues between my BIL & SIL that continue to be ignored and aren't getting resolved.