You are here

Being the least important person in the world

The Wonderer's picture

I haven't written but have read many posts and know I'm i the right place for support and understanding. I'm step-mom of 4 kids all over 20 save the 12 year old girl. This is my 1st marriage and I have no children of my own though long for one - just not in this situation anymore. My husband's ex just died of cancer a few months ago. Needless to say it's a sad time in the kids lives.

My problem is that there is, like so many others in these post, no discipline or expectations of the kids. No one lifts a finger unless it's to make a mess and leave trash, laundry, and dishes. Two to three live here at any time and have run of the house and make what messes they please for me to clean up. Friends come and go as they please, crashing for the night without warning. Left to my husband, we would live in a rat and roach infested house. Now that their mother has passed everything revolves around their grieving (understandably), vacations are planned with her family, while my family and every need of mine is left in the dust. I'm having surgery in a week and no one has asked a thing about it (it's minor, but still I'll be put under), my uncle is dying of Parkinson's but no one asks or cares, and in general, I feel like the least important person in the world. The kids are all nice on the surface but they couldn't give a damn about me. And my husband, well, quite frankly, I completely disagree with his parenting style, have little to no attraction to him anymore and no "connection". He promises change and after 7 years I'm starting to think this will be a lifetime of torture. Is it time to find a way out of this? The 12 year old is a allowed to be connected to her phone and computer all the time. Friends are allowed over any time. I'm an only child and need my space. My parents are living and I'm very close to them but they see like my only link to sanity.

Where's Super Nanny when you need her? I wish I were able to be more assertive as well as feel comfortable forming a bond with the kids as well as my husband, but I live in the shadow of a ghost and we just aren't made of the same fibers. Memories are counted and recounted with friends, family, and no one knows a thing about me. When pictures are taken, I'm never in them I recently noticed. I hate this life. I don't work outside the house but bust my a** here for sure because no one including my husband helps with our 10 acre farm. I've made it into a wonderland which is my pride and joy. But I could give that up if I could just take my animals and find a little wonderland of my own and start supporting myself.
Is there hope at all? We all see counselors, bereavement for the kids, marital for husband and I, personal for me... but nothing really changes. If I were to begin planning an escape route, how do I do it so that I can get some support until I can get on my own feet? Money sure doesn't buy happiness ya'll. Remember well.

Options? Similar experiences? Sage words of advice?

Living the dream's picture

I don't have any words of wisdom right now, but just know that you are certainly not alone.

When stepprincess15 comes over, I think I could fall to the floor dead and my husband would step over my body on the way out to an expensive lunch with her. He wouldn't want to inconvenience her by taking the time to call for someone to pick up the body; that could wait until she goes back to BMs.

I also do almost all of the housework, as well as work at least 45 hours a week in a stressful office.

Sometimes I feel as though I am just a maid and an extra paycheck, both of which allow him to indulge his kids more than he used to.

We do have some good times between us, too, when I feel close to him and believe he truly loves me. But it always goes back to the same dynamic.

I am second. I will always be second.

The Wonderer's picture

I'm glad you have your good times. And yes, you'll always be second. But WE have to put ourselves first and never depend on anyone else to do it. Good luck.

Kes's picture

A lot of things you said hit a chord with me. I'm so sorry. Wait until you are recovered from your surgery, however, minor, then start making your plan. My exit plan from my exH literally took me 3 years.

Your comment that money doesn't buy happiness - very true - but hopefully that also implies that you have some? If so, one of the major problems to getting out is sorted. But if you have to get a job - then maybe start looking around. Similarly, start getting your support circle organised. Whether this is forums like this, parents, friends, relations, whatever. If you don't have a large circle of friends, concentrate on making new ones by attending groups, classes, even something like slimming classes can be a rich source of new friends.

Like you, I don't believe in counselling any more. This is rich coming from me, because I was a relationship counsellor for 8 years. Some couples it worked for, but they were generally the ones where both partners were 100% committed to making things better. I've had counselling and therapy myself, and most of the counsellors were pretty useless.

The Wonderer's picture

Thank you for your input. We have found some decent counselors, but as you say, if both parties arn't willing to give, it doesn't do much good.
Money wise, I don't have much. A deposit and a few months rent for a low rent place at most. I'm given money to pay bills each month. Not much left over to put aside. Getting a job seems reasonable but I've also heard that that can affect any type of alimony that might sustain me while I figure out my career/plan. Any planning advice on an exit strategy would be greatly appreciated. I know friends will be divided even though many were mine first. Everyone thinks I have it made save a few close friends and despite the kids, the loss of their mother overshadows any downfalls they may have and I'll be made to look like a deserter.

So I have to ask, do you ever regret your decision?

Kes's picture

No, not for one minute. When we were still together, and I would try to visualise growing old together - it was just a void. Nothing. He finally killed off my love for him with his emotional abuse. We are friends now, talk on the phone once in a while, but I would never go back, not even if my current marriage fails.

Merry's picture

You say your husband promises change. What ONE thing can he show as demonstration of his commitment to change? Sounds like there isn't much and you've given up. And that's fine. Took me 10 years to plan my exit from my ex. Took me that long to gather strength and resolve.

What do you need in order to stay? Make sure your DH knows what those things are, then see if he is willing to work in that direction. If he is not or if he quickly backslides, you have your answer. Then, what do you need in order to leave? Start working on those things. Even small steps are empowering.

So sorry you are in this terrible situation. Many of us know what it is like to be invisible (unless something needs to be cleaned).

The Wonderer's picture

Very good questions, Merry. I think he tries sometimes, but it's just not important to him and it's easier to just ignore.

I could stay, maybe, if rules were rules, limitations were set and some degree of empathy existed, but all of those things are missing and have been since we moved in after getting married. I'm selfish for having needs of my own (a.k.a. SPACE away from the vortex of their lives and messes.)

Your points make good sense. And even the cleaning is invisible! Sad

SteelRose's picture

I went through that when ss19 lived with us in his senior year, it was like my house was not my home and all I did was work and then come home to have to clean up after teens. I felt swallowed in all the disorderliness of my life, the disrespect was not only coming out of their mouths but also in the way they treated my home (ss19 and all his 20+ friends). Once I drove up and there were so many cars that my neighbor though we were having church in my house. It was the opposite of church, it was ss19 (17 and 18 that year) and his 20 odd friends all playing foosball and loud music and smoking pot. DH was not home at the time but I called and when he came home he ripped in to ss. But it didn't get better until we kicked him out, but then he moved back in twice more before I finally said NO MORE. I've dealt with dogs and skids for so long and all I do is clean in spurts or hide and try to endure, but slowly I am taking back my home. Being on this site has helped me to get my own home back and my sanity as well. Me and my kids now don't feel like the ones hiding in our rooms anymore, now me, bs15 and dh sit around in the livingroom and ss16 is the one hiding in his room. Oh well. lol

You either have to work at reclaiming, or make an exit plan and get out. Whatever you do, do something.

Stepmomplan's picture

Oh, wow, I feel for you and I am sending you a hug. I got shivers reading your post because I can only imagine all that you are going through coupled with a grieving family. Divorce itself is grieving and now they are doing it again. I would try to do things as a family (genuinely) and build bonds with kids. Talk to them and show them compassion, but let them know you are a team that needs to help each other. It will take time, but if you can build bonds, then that will help them.

The Wonderer's picture

Thanks for the hug Stepmomplan.

Bonding is hard, especially with the 12 yr old that I've known since she was 3. It's like I'm an annoyance although I know she needs a maternal-like influence. She scoffs at any activity that doesn't include shopping and friends. I try but I'm often just given a dirty look when I ask her to do something together. I know it's her age, but dad seems to find it easier to let her do as she pleases rather than take the time to teach her things and insist on that kind of time instead of it always being some kind of unearned treat. And I'm very afraid of the path she may be choosing. I feel bad for them all really. They've never been taught any life skills.

The Wonderer's picture

SteelRose,
Good for you! I'm glad you took control and got your life and home back. I'm just not sure where to start. I'm a team of one most of the time and my methods (like throwing their trash left in the house right back into their room) is treated as if I'm the child. Ugh.

Any tactics you can suggest that don't tear apart relationships but are assertive enough to demonstrate you mean business? I can use all the help I can get!

The Wonderer's picture

Yes, all kids are in bereavement counseling although it seems to provide them with excuses to do whatever they need to because of their loss.

alieigh21's picture

My kids and I lost their father (suicide) when they were 18 and 15. It's been more than 3 years and they are still grieving. All people grieve differently and you should allow them to work thru it at the pace they need to. They will never be over it completely, but they will learn to deal with it.

My DH moved in with me and my BD (BS was away at college)for the brief time between selling his home and us buying a house together. I know he sometimes felt like a guest despite my efforts to make him feel welcome. We got thru it and he and my kids are slowly beginning to develop relationships. My relationship with SD has been slower coming. I can totally relate to you feeling like a guest in your own home and think my DH would too.

My own kids have on occasion made me feel that way. The biggest difference is how I deal with it and how I initially dealt with my SD. With my own kids I was quick to point out that they had crossed a line and demand the respect I deserved. With my SD I was passive aggressive about it. I would go to my room and hide or sulk but I rarely confronted the issue. I allowed her to be disrespectful because I didn't stand up to her.

It took me and my SD less than 2 weeks to have a blow up. She was basically treating my like her personal maid and had the nerve to complain about the quality of my services. That was my breaking point and that was the point where I stood up for myself. In hindsight I could have handled that much better but she has never once asked me to do her chores since. Once she figured out she was in my home, despite her assertion it was my and her fathers, and I would not tolerate disrespect, she has not been openly aggressive. The passive aggressive stuff I just ignore, just like I do when my own kids behave that way. If she want's something she has to ask. If she asks I can choose to give her what she wants or choose not to.

You are in a very difficult situation and your feelings should not be ignored. I know you said you didn't think couples counseling was the solution but have you considered going for yourself? Even though I have moved on since my first husbands suicide, I will never be the same person I was before. In order to find happiness again, I had to learn a lot about myself. The most important thing I learned is that people will give you the minimum you allow them to. If you aren't getting what you need say so. If you need help with the house say it loud and clear. If you need to write it down and send it in a letter to get it out then do that. I don't know anything about your relationship but I assume you married your husband for a reason?

The Wonderer's picture

Aliegh21,
I'm so sorry to hear that all of you had to go through such a tragic event. It only adds to complicated feelings but I'm glad to hear you're finding your way along with you SD. My husband and I are in counseling and I'm all for it as long as you find a proactive therapist. There has to be a chemistry with a therapist or it's not going to work most of the time.

I found your last two paragraphs especially helpful. People will give you the minimum if you don't demand it sometimes. And sometimes you do have to get a little feisty about it to get your point across rather than be a doormat. Blowups are normal and sometimes need to happen because there's so much pent-up emotion.

Gosh folks, I should have posted earlier! What a wonderful source of comfort, inspiration, and advice! Thank you all!

ThisIsUm's picture

Hi folks.
I am a new member and I’ve been reading some of the posts with a great sense of relief. I knew I wasn’t alone, but hearing similar experiences to my own has been strengthening. (And I’m still deciphering the short forms of everything!) Sorry for the long post.
I’ve been a SM to a SD15 and SD18 for the past 7+ years, and I love them and I’ve always been generous with them with my time, energy and money. No bio kids. My SO is an artist who works from our home. I also work full-time from home. I bought the house 13 years ago and own our vehicle (he sold his sports car). All my own money. We pay house expenses and mortgage together. Because of his ‘bad’ experience with his ex-wife, he won’t really talk about remarriage. I’d like to. I’d also like to stop feeling like the maid in my own home, so I need to find ways to get the family to help with the work.
We have the SDs just 20% of the time, because their BM moved them, six years ago, 100 miles away. SM is a prize: greedy, venal, stingy, ungenuine, cold, vindictive. Lives with a lawyer she pretty much cheated with before dismantling her first marriage, to my SO. We have lived through utter and endless h@ll with her.
SD18 has cerebral palsy and autism and is confined to a wheelchair. She has scoliosis and lordosis. With help, she can feed herself at the table. She talks intelligently and has a wonderful imagination and spirit. And she is a great deal of work for everyone involved in her care. (I know there is a separate forum for special needs, but this really has more to do with SD15 and my SO.) When they are here, we have masses of laundry, dishes and cleaning. My SO and I have to lift SD18 for every bathroom visit and bedtime, and she weighs more than I do.
SD15 has generally been a good kid, but lately has become a princess: glued to the iPod, giving attitude about pretty much everything, sulking, punishing us, caring only about herself and shopping and “I want” and the vanity culture -- the works. She whines and pouts about having to do anything around the house, and leaves everything where it falls.
She wants a big camera, because she likes photography (we’ve already given her two cameras). And she wants a Mac laptop. BM lives with a lawyer and they have lots of money. We have very little, but my SO feels driven to give her anything she wants. I think it’s absolutely the wrong thing to do.
SD15 claims that she does very little at SM’s house. My SO does a lot of cooking here (BBQ), but the barest minimum around the house, the barest minimum to deal with his ex-wife, and the barest minimum to discipline or teach the kids. I do all that. Or try. When I ask SD15 to help, or when I tell her I won’t tolerate attitude, I am the bad guy.
I feel like I work for them as a maid, with no voice in my own life and house. I’ve tried so many times and in so many ways to explain to my SO that I need his help, but he’s always stressed about ... pick one: the kids, the work, the art world, his mother, whatever. SD15 is years behind in learning responsiblity and life skills. And I’m really sad about all of this, because I have improved all of their lives immeasurably and SD15 needs those things. I love them all, but I’m running out of strength and steam to keep doing this.

emotionaly beat up's picture

The thing that concerns me here is that these kids were lazy, undisciplined spoilt people with clearly an overinflated sense of entitlement BEFORE mum died. Before mum died The Wonderer was treated as the maid, a mon entity. And no one saw it as a problem. Well except OP but their behaviour was certainly seen by dad as acceptable. Sure he gave op the obligatory, yeah, I'll change line to shut her up, but did nothing towards that change. The ill change line means nothing. It is said to buy our husbands peace. To shut us up, to keep us happy for a couple of weeks. But it is not genuine. They see nothing wrong with the behaviour of their children, they think they are getting on great with their kids, so therefore they are great parents, in short what they see is, their kids are happy, he's happy, and the only person complaining, is you. So they all see you as the problem. Now this behaviour that was perfectly acceptable before, will, I fear escalate now that mum has died. Not because they are grief stricken, but because every single person, counsellor a included will forget they've always behaved like this, and contribute their behaviour as GRIEF. These people now have an excuse, they are getting lots of support, they can forever behave like this, because their mum died. Who can blame them.

It has been my personal experience and the experience of some other posters on this site, that if the steps were horrible before mum died, they will be a million times worse after, and, dad who did nothing about their behaviour before, well he gets worse, because he totally puts it out of his mind they've always been like this. He is actually relieved because he too now has a ready made excuse for the behaviour of his kids and his failure to address it - THEIR MUM DIED.

My advice to you would be either stand up now and demand change, tell your husband sort it out today, or you will sort it out for him. Or just leave. Go quietly and see an attorney and see where you stand financially and if you are entitled to alimony. Sort that out and then see how you feel. But you do need legal advice to help you make plans whatever they may be. Where would you stand today if your dh died. Do you have the home, or do the kids get it. You really need to talk to a lawyer.

The power for change lies within you.

Yes we all grieve in different ways and for different periods of time. Losing their mother is particularly hard, especially for the 12 year old. But being a lazy slob in someone else's home should not be marked down to grief. The fact is there is only one child here. The 12 year old. The others are all adults. You are not the live in maid. YOU NEED TO REMEMBER THAT. YOU.

As for holidays with family. You can spend them with your family if you want to. He can go to his. That would be a good start to either making change in the marriage or helping you come to terms with the idea that you are not being respected within it, and maybe need to get out.

The Wonderer's picture

Thanks again to all of you. But what the heck is "OP"? I will stick around Beaccountable. I already feel better. And I may take some of these quotes to our next therapy session.

luchay's picture

Hi, welcome. Sorry you are going through this, hugs to you.

Take care of yourself first, no-one else appears to be stepping up for you.

OP is opening post(er)