You are here

Why can't SM's have feelings w/o being mean OR hating precious!!?

Bubbly1's picture

:? So fdh and I spent friday & saturday arguing about....*da ta da*...the sd's and bm. I do not yell, scream, raise my voice AT ALL! And I'm attacking him, her, precious sd's. I'm only telling him how I FEEL! Correct me if I'm WAY outta line here, NO one can control how they FEEL!! I'm no different!! He doesn't want to hear it. My feelings make him feel like I'm attacking. WTF? So I just stop. Stop talking, stop trying to explain, just push everything down as far as I can, to my dark place. Where only my secret "dark" feelings reside. Where they will remain. I will never again try to tell fdh how sd's or bm make me "feel" because apparently SM's are not allowed "feelings". But, fdh, as a step DAD is allowed ALL the feelings he WANTS!! Complete B! S!

Can anyone recommend a good therapist in the South Carolina capitol area?? I really need one!!!

Bubbly1's picture

Ps. Sd8 was diagnosed with early onset bipolar disorder. JUST! LIKE! HER! PSYCHO! HYPOCHONDRIAC! MOTHER!!! I need a drink, is it 5:00 yet???

Stuck33's picture

I really think a therapist would be a good mediator for you in which to have these discussions. Please look into it. You are not wrong for how you feel. He is only human as well. Plus, given this new medical diagnosis, both of you may need help learning about the special needs of a bipolar child.

Anon2009's picture

I think that if you're talking calmly and in a non-accusatory way towards him or the kids, you're doing all you can. After that, it's up to him to realize that you are truly trying to help him and his kids.

Also, has he ever told you about how he feels about your kids? How did you react, and what did you do to make changes? If you listened to him, and do what you can to make changes that would help both him *and* your kids, then you have every right to expect him to make changes that will benefit both you*and* his kids in the long run.

beyond pissed-off's picture

Because our feelings of discontent or irritation at the skids and/or BM are inconvenient to them and not what they want to hear. Plain and simple.

It is not what they want us to be feeling. And rather than listen like an adult and actually DO something about the issues, they would rather get angry at the one person who is "different" in the world they are used to - US. Frankly, there are times when I wonder why my FH bothered to leave BM. If what BM and the skids are doing is not worth the effort to change, and *I* am the one causing him grief, why the hell doesn't he just go back to her and leave me to pick up the pieces of my life?

I am so sick of the arguments. He acknowledges that they are making him crazy but it is me who he takes it out on. Apparently there is "no point" in talking to them or trying to change things with them. I think what he wants is for me to become as beaten down by them as he is and just accept it for what it is.

beyond pissed-off's picture

LOL!!! How about this one?

ME: Your son got caught with pot. Therefore, he smokes pot.

FH: No he doesn't. He just bought it....because he wanted to have it. He wasn't going to smoke it.

ME: He lays around all day, his eyes are red, he chews through a bag of Doritos in an hour....and HE GOT CAUGHT WITH POT!

FH: He is tired. He has allergies. He is a growing boy. And I told you - he just wanted to buy it so that he had it - he was not going to smoke it. You just don't like him.

ME: You are an IDIOT!

stepmomof5's picture

This is my life exactly.

My SD12 poured my expensive lotion in the now clogged sink and stepped on the lotion as a p.s. "I REALLY dispise you". I took the flattened lotion bottle, showed it to my DH, and said, "The sink is clogged because your daughter poured my lotion down the sink".
He said, "Well, what were you doing looking in the sink?"

Bubbly1's picture

I always, always, always approach it with a calm and reserved tone of voice. I'm non-confrontational, I spent 9yrs with an abuser. I *hate* fighting, yelling, confrontation period. When he comes to me with my bio's issues 9x's out of 10 I agree wholly with him and we come up w/a solution together. My kids Bd is not in the picture. He has been gone for three years. Fdh is the only "father" they have. And he is a wonderful man/father/partner, with the exception of the sd's. They are the *ONLY* reason we argue, honestly. If not for those two we would be perfect. Sd8's bipolar is one thing I've been trying to point out but, when I said it "you just hate my kid" now they have a Doctor's diagnosis and its accepted! I don't know what I'm doing wrong here? His reaction to my feelings IS making me hate them, plain and simple.

unwillingparticipant's picture

I have straight up told DH "I'm allowed to feel however I want!!" in the heat of an argument. This might be a crazy dumb question but have those words come out of your mouth the fdh yet? Maybe if he hears you say it, he'll understand?

Bubbly1's picture

I haven't. I have said "I feel what I feel, I can't help THAT" didn't help. He's very stubborn and pigheaded. An attribute I usually LIKE. Unless its directed at me. Which is whenever we "discuss" the sd's.

EarthLove's picture

I totally get your frustrations...

You are 100% completely entitled to how you feel!!!

The first year and a half of being with my now husband were really difficult from many directions with regards to his 2 kids, and no matter what I said or how gently I "tried" to say it, he took affense, shut down, got mad at me. He is only recently been able to listen to me without taking what I say as a personal attack. I wish I could tell you what exactly it was that made the shift...but it's a combination of things.
I'll share with you what I think from my experience...when I read that you stop talking and pushed your feelings down, this is EXACTLY what I did. Stopped being self expressed and I'm telling you, not only will it eventually ruin your relationship anyway, it will be far worse what you do to yourself, emotionally, mentally, and even physically. I actually started to get physically ill and I am not a sickly peron at all. I became depressed, and I have no history of depression or depression in my family. I lost my appetite and could barely eat. It was literally killing me.
I eventually went into therapy a few months ago because I was at the end of my rope, and it was my last ditch effort before I left the marriage. I've gotten support and a safe space to express my feelings. My therapist shared with me that blended families take about 4 or 5 years to settle and resemble any close to a family unit, I was shocked and relieved at the same time. I no longer felt like a failure since after 2 years, we were not a "family", at least for me, this did NOT feel anything like a family. I felt like the intruder, outsider, I was lonely, exhausted, unfulfilled, unappreciated, uncomfortable, miserable...I could go on and on. And this is nothing like my personality AT ALL, I assure you.
My therapist also suggested couple's therapy, which we are now doing. And, regardless of how my husband reacted to my feelings, I started sharing with him I how felt. If I can pass anything on to you- don't suppress how you feel. It won't do anyone any good ESPECIALLY YOU.

This really is an issue between you and your husband. For so long, it looked like the skids were the problem, and I'm not saying they make it easy, because they don't, and often they make it worse. You and your husband being on the same page will be the thing that makes the difference. And that includes being able to listen to eachother, get where the other is coming from and move forward as a unit.

I suffered so long in this household...and I just found this website, which makes such a difference. I hope this helps, and message me if you have any questions.

Best of luck to you.

Bubbly1's picture

EarthLove (love the name, btw) thank you for taking the time to share your story. I am looking for a counselor at the moment. I'm not sure how I feel any more. I resent the girls for "causing" the discord. I agree the problem is Fdh. I'm not attacking him or the kids. But, he thinks I am.
I can tell you, since I've shut down, my stomach ulcer has gotten worse! I've had to double my meds!

EarthLove's picture

You're welcome Bubbly1. Smile
I am not surprised at all about your stomach ulcer...
Hang in there, focus on taking care of YOU in the meantime and if you need to vent- let it roll!!!

planningMyEscape's picture

I haven't read through all of the responses, but my SO is the same way. I can't bring up Skids to him (unless I am telling him how wonderful they are) without being attacked, and him saying how awful I am to them. I have never been ANYTHING but nice to them, btw. He is SO defensive of them...he is kind of out of touch w/reality when it comes to them. Like he will say they are doing well in school, and I see there homework, and it is almost all Ds and Fs. That is just one of many, many examples. But I totally feel ya. It sucks.