You are here

Spoilt stepdaughter is like a queen and she disrespects me, her father doesn't take care of it

honey0's picture

My husband and I have been married for a few months. He has a 14 year old daughter and so do I. He also has a 21 year old daughter but she lives in another country and does not talk to us often. We had a daughter together before we got married though, she's 2 years old now.My daughter has an OK relationship with him-not close, but respecting and kind. I tried to have this kind of relationship with my SD but it's not working. I have been in her life since she was 8 and she's 14 now. So that's 6 years.
Here's the situation: Her mom died when she was about 5 years old. She had coped with it and it all seemed to be fine. About three years later her father met me. When he first introduced us, she didn't say one word, just stared at us angrily and ate her dinner (he took us out for dinner and told her). She has been causing some issues over time but it all was minor and we went through all that. He managed to calm her down and discipline her. She did not see me often,she wouldn't and her dad did not force her. it's like he had a life with me and another with her. But, when we said we're getting married she got really angry. She was pissed,but she didn't yell or do anything that we expected, she just said that she can't believe what she's hearing and walked out of the room. He talked to her again and calmed her down but now.. It's hell. On our wedding she was very angry and all she did was talk to her sister (that came unwillingly and di not disrespect me but it was obvious she didn't like me or the fact I'm marrying her father)and they either laughed hysterically or stare angrily. Her sister went back home day after that, but the sd..Omg. She started disrespecting me, calling me names (stupid, bitch, ugly cow,etc.), and we even pushed eachother. She started it but when her father walked in she started crying and said it was my fault and I attacked her. Her father believed her and we argued but we settled it down and he asked me to be kind with her. And I have been. Since I met her I've been trying to form a relationship with her, I did everything I could to make her comfortable, I said I'm not trying to replace her mom, I took her shopping, to get her nails done, I bought her presents and talked to her,watched movies..She isn't ungrateful in the way that she does not say thanks..She said thanks and got me gifts on my bday (she has her own money since she was like 10 but I'll talk about that later) but she disrespects me often and is just really bad to me. She said something like this:"youre here' now but I'll change that, don't get too used to this". And honestly, I think she may separate us. My husband does love me, but he can't discipline her. She has always been the golden child of the family-straight A's, goes to competitions in math, and foreign languages, she dances and wins prizes for that, she's responsible and all that he asks her to do will be done flawlessly,even better than adults. she goes to family gatherings, weddings, celebrations, and she's always the positive center of attention-she's like a grownup:elegant, graceful, with style. When you look at her, you'd say she's PREFECTION. She's the pride of the family. Her whole family is rich, her husbands parents have a lot and lot of money and they give her money and expensive stuff often. Her aunts, uncles (and she has a few) give her money too. (That's why she has her own money) and so does my husband. She's very responsible with it and always manages it that way that she has a LOT saved. she dresses and acts good for her age, and the only problem is with me. That is why he can't,actually won't do anything about it. She's so perfect and if he tries to tell her something about her bad behaviour towards me, she starts crying ,sobbing and pretending to lose breath and saying stuff like '' im so good but youre never happy,you dont love me, you prefer her'' and then he can't do anything. Her mother's parents are dead and she had one sister but she lives far away and is a soldier so she can't take care of her. the girl is stayng with us. Her sister is in college and ofc she can't live with her. She's here to stay. I tried talking to her but she yelled and wouldn't talk nicely. idk what to do,i realy don't like her because she's horrible to me.
also her step sister, my daughter is disciplined,but they don't get along. my sd attacks my daughter and she ofc defends herself..then the SD plays the victim and starts sobbing. Her father sides with her because he can't take her tears. her sister 21 year old doesnt like me either. and basically i have this 1 year old that should be treated fairly, right? but her dad, my husband, does not have time for her because he has to deal with his 14 year old. She requests attention and if he does not put her at the center of his life on a pdeastal she sobs that he's neglecting her. so now he neglects our 1 year old when i told him that he got very defensive and after that he promised to give her more love but as soon as he picks her up the 14 year old pulls him away. They do have 1 on 1 time but she still does it.
Also her grandparens, the parents of my hubby, have a lot of money and they made a will that they're leaving everything to the 14 year old SD. NOTHING to our daughter together. nothing. and they have so much that this girl will probably not know what to do with it. They have houses in several countries , apartments in big cities, beach house, and a lot of money. expensive furniture in them, antiquities and such. they know about our 1 year old daughter but they don't like me, so they dont like the fact their son has a kid with me and they refuse to love the child.
I don't know what to do. I'm hurt, and bitter. and his 14 year old is a fuking boss in this family. what she says has to be done because she's smart and perfect and god forbid if she's unhappy. they all cater her like a queen,and call her their angel, beauty, pride, gold, and they call my 1 year old baby " the child "
I don't know what to do. I'm at my wits end but I don't want to leave this man because when it's not about his daughter, hes amazing, supprotive, loving and caring.
oh also. if he shows me affection in front of her she walks out and wont talk so he doesnt do it anymore. it+s like were strangers we don't even sit next to eachother when shes around.
Please don't tell me to lave him because I love him so much and we also have a child .i want her to have a father.
and idk how to solve this. Don't suggest therapy for all of us because this girl would refuse it. she hates to spend 1 minute with me.a nd he won't force her to that, he won't force her to anything.
we live together but shes often out of the house-dancing, hanging with friends ,etc.
she's like a queen. not a princess, a QUEEN that has absolute control of her family. for example if they wanted to go skiing and she wants to go have lunch-15 people will go do something SHE wants, not what they wanted.
if they wanted to go to idk mcdonalds to buy food, and she wanted burger king, they'll all eat burger king. she felt like it and it's a command to them.
what do i do?!

honey0's picture

Btw our daugther is 2 years old now but she turned it this september so I'm still kinda used to saying my 1 year old. :?
also my sd completely ignores her and won't even look at her. it's like she doesn't exist. when she was born she didn't come to see her. for her birthdays she ignores her too and she goes out of the house when we threw celebrations. 2 birthdays-and she had stuff to do both thimes. eh.

Anon2009's picture

I don't know what to do about the relationship between SD and DD. Forcing her to stick around for celebrations for DD may drive her further away from DD. All you can ask is that she be civil and kind to DD.

But as for her disrespect towards you, go take a look at the Adult Stepchildren Issues forum. So many people there wish they had called out their skids on their $hitty treatment of them when they were growing up, and not waited for their husbands to do it. The husbands wound up not calling their kids out. Don't wait for DH to call her out. He won't. When she shoots you a dirty look, say, "Is there something in your eye, SD?" clearly. Firmly let her know that you're not going to take or tolerate her bad behavior towards you.

See if you can get your DH on board for marriage counseling. Maybe counseling and working on your marriage will help him start to PARENT SD and grow enough backbone to make her go to counseling.

honey0's picture

I'll ask him to go to counseling when he comes home today. I have to do it.

But with her.. When I let her know that I don't want to tolerate her, what will I do when she flips out? Shes used to being worshiped and if I say something to her,idk what could she do or say..
What if she reacts horribly? and she probably will. I know that no one could calm her down if I demanded anything,even if it's just respect. how to deal with that?
And thank you for your reply. Smile

oncechoosetosmile's picture

Sorry, honey, that you go through all this.It is really hard to not recommend the things you don't want us to advise.
See. my clue would be DH's behaviour in that scenario.He puts her first and even chooses her over you.I could not accept that.What his 14 year old and her whole family does can't be controlled by you, she seems to be a mean and manipulative monster.Without DH's full support and even protection I can't see you being happy since you are in a very vulnerable position.She should have been deeply in trouble for what she is doing and saying, but instead she manipulates her own dad.
Sorry, hun, but it doesn't sound like a good position to be in- especially because you have two kids who are treated badly by that girl.
The only hope I would see for the marriage is if DH would start changing -did you read stepmoster btw?

honey0's picture

He said he'll go to counseling, but in December because now he has no time because of work (well he does work a lot actually).
I said he was hurting me and that he would hurt our child but he stared at me and said that he's not doing anything wrong. I said that he's letting his daughter treat us that way but he said that I'm overreacting and that's shes a nice girl and that if she's bad to me it must be from both sides. (wtf its NOT) I tried to explain how it is but he got mad and said that I'm jelaous of my sd. (WTF AGAIN) and I said I was NOT jelaous,but he just claimed she's a good girl and she wouldn't call me names, and if she did I did it first.
She tells him I call HER names and I don't. I just told her once she was manipulative but she said I insult her and I DID NOT. She heard us arguing outside and she knows that I told her father about that. when i was sitting int he living room, she passed by.She gave me not a DIRTY look, she gave me the look of Hitler and Stalin combined. I asked her "What is wrong?" and she said "You'll be sorry." I asked "Sorry for what, Kali?" I sounded firm and not scared, but that did not really change her behaviour. and she said "Everything." I said "I don't think I will be" she said "I'll make sure you will", and then I said "I don't like your behaviour towards me, i'm trying to.. (i was gonna say i'm trying to be nice and your friend but she interrupted me) so she said "I don't like the fact you're here. And if I don't like something, I change it" Then she walked out of the house. She did not come back yet. she sent her father a message that she'll come home in the evening.we barely went back to normal from our argument earlier today. :/ I dont know what is she planning to do and honestly im kinda afraid.
her aunt invited us to dinner to a restaurant this evening at 20:30 and I'm nervous because no one there likes me, and now that she said she was gonna make me sorry..idk whats gonna bee. Sad
people what do i dooo ?! :O

honey0's picture

She did nothing specific last night. She talked about something with one of her aunts (that is just like her , maybe even worse) and they laughed often. In the end of the night, when we were going out of the restaurant they were still talking and everyone else was saying goodbye. So when the aunt's husband pulled her away, she just smiled at SD and said "deal" and the sd smiled back at her. I have no idea what were they talking about but I can imagine it was related to me.
next time she talks like that (which will probably be soon as she's spending the afternoon in the house and in a few hours she'll have to go all bitch on me) i'll try to record and show my husband this evening! my last hope.

thank you all for helping. Wink