You are here

Boundaries and Respect

TroubledSM's picture

New to this forum and feel like I am at the end of my rope. I feel like I have no say in my house when it comes to my SS. His dad is very protective and let's my 10 yo SS make most decisions. When my SS is here, he hangs on my husband, sometimes it's uncomfortable because it's too much. I have no privacy in my bedroom; n knocking, and he chooses to use our shower and not the one he has solely for his use. When my SS and I are alone,he constantly asks where his dad is, he won't go anywhere alone with me. He used to go with me now it has stopped. Often, my SS calls to come over when he is bored at his moms and my husband drops everything to go pick him up. Sometimes, I would just like some time alone with my husband. I feel like I can't say no because he gets angry if I say anything about this. He says he does not need my "say" for anything about his son. And to top it all off he has a half brother and sister from his mom who get invited...so...during the time my husband and I have alone together, we have three kids. We spend a lot of time with his son, we go no longer than a few days without him and my husband coaches football and we run him all week and weekend to practices, etc. Other times, my husband arranges for my SS to come over to do something (on the moms weekend) and I am not even considered. I understand that children are important; I have 2 of my own. My SS is a good kid. Am I crazy to ask that we protect our free time together and that he respect that I have the need to spend time without my SS? I feel like my needs are not being respected but when I try to talk to my husband he just gets mad and defensive. I don't know what to do. I am turning into a witch because I feel out of control in my own home.

TroubledSM's picture

I appreciate your input. I am not saying I have to be consulted by any means. What I am saying is my husband literally does whatever his son wants; whenever. Yes, sometimes it would be nice to have quiet and alone time. I can't get it when my SS is here. If I leave the house, then I am considered a witch. If I go in my bedroom and shut the door, then I am being cold. I do have my own two children so I understand what parents feel. I am not trying to take away from my husband and SS time, just trying to figure out where I can fit in and feel like we are truly a family instead of him and my SS, then me. It is very much that way. I was always raised that parents and spouse work together to make children safe and secure. I am a third wheel. That's all.

TwoOfUs's picture

How old is your stepson? My DH is a really great guy, but early in our marriage he would also drop everything to do the beck and call of BM or one of the skids. Once, he left a dinner we were hosting for another couple to go pick up SS. The other couple was about 15 minutes from leaving...and he just rushed out the door with a: "Sorry! Have to go get SS!" It was incredibly rude, and the other couple looked shocked and then actually made a subtle comment about how rude it was. I was incredibly embarrassed and brought it up to my DH later...he got defensive. What was he supposed to do? He had to go get his kid! He even tried to argue that the other couple was rude because they said they were heading home at 8:00 and it was 8:10 when he left to get SS (no specific departure time was ever mentioned...just that they had to get home early-ish for the sitter). I think some parents think that their kids provide a convenient excuse for any kind of behavior. Keep in mind...this wasn't an emergency where DH was needed or should have been by his son's side. It was just BM asking him if he could pick up SS from a party because she was tied up. But so were we! I'm sure SS could have stayed at the party for 15 additional minutes, no problem.

We work from home and there was also a time when DH would drop everything to take something to his son, who is incredibly forgetful and clumsy. His school ID. His sports uniforms. Lunch. Meaning that he'd have to drive to BMs (15 minutes away from our house) to get the missing item to take to the school (just 5 minutes from our house...the other direction). A 40-45 minute interruption to the work day that happened once or twice weekly for a while. Until one day DH called me in a panic to ask if I'd take SS his ID. He was about to head into a meeting. The conversation went down like this:

Me: "No. I'm at work."

DH: "Are you in the middle of something?!"

Me: "It doesn't matter. I'm at work. You're at work. If we didn't work at home, our bosses wouldn't just let us drop everything to take SS his ID twice a week. We need to be our own boss on this. He doesn't call his mom because she's at work. We need to teach him that we're at work, too."

DH: "He's bought a temporary ID twice already this week for 50 cents. The third time it's $5 for a temporary ID!"

Me: "OK. So you're telling me that your son forgot his ID 3 out of 5 days this week? So he has to pay the $5. 45 minutes of my time is worth more than that."

DH: "He doesn't have $5 with him. Could you just take him $5? That's just a 10 minute errand!"

Me: "No, I'm at work."

DH: "If he doesn't get his ID or a temporary ID he has to go to detention after school!"

Me: "And?"

DH: "He'll miss German club!"

Me: "Aren't natural consequences wonderful? We don't even have to punish him for being so careless."

After this, DH and I had a long talk about what he was teaching SS by always being available to solve his problems...about natural consequences and allowing kids to suffer a little bit for the greater good. This time, he was incredibly receptive. We both refused to bail SS out when he forgot something, and he became somewhat more careful as a result Smile

I think some recently-divorced dads are so afraid of the "deadbeat dad" stigma that they go overboard...ignoring common sense and good parenting in order to "appear" to be an involved, engaged dad. I was able to make my husband see that being a good, involved dad doesn't always mean doing exactly what the kids want. It could be that Disney Dad is just the divorced dad counterpoint to Stepmom who tries too hard for fear of being labeled a "wicked" stepmother.

So...to the good news for you. As the kids have gotten older, the BM has had less and less power over my household...has begun to feel much less intrusive. And DH has settled into his role. When I met DH, he had been separated for five years, but was still a month away from being officially divorced. We married just a year after his divorce...and I think a lot of guys are irate about the "deal" they get in family court and try to overcompensate because of that. My DH got completely screwed financially...and, on top of that, officially became a NCP overnight. I think it's a shock to the system. Now, it's settled in. Again...skids getting older has its own challenges, but it goes a long way toward helping dad calm down about "losing" his kids, in my experience.

Here are some practical things you can do to get your seat at the table back...some things that have worked for me. 1.) Tell your husband that you're sorry he can't have his son every day. That you know it must be hard. I've said this so many times to my DH. Notice, I'm not saying that I wish they were in my house more or that WE could see them more. I'm simply acknowledging that the situation sucks for him and isn't fair. I can say this honestly, and it helps DH realize that I am on his side in this. 2.) Tell your DH he's a good dad...praise him for it. My DH had so much insecurity about his role as dad early in our relationship that he overcompensated in bad ways...as illustrated above. Divorced dads are insecure about the job they're doing as dad, about their role in the kids' lives, about losing their kids. They're more insecure about it than the kids are, in my experience. You reaffirming this role verbally...telling him he's doing well...pointing out instances of good parenting...will go a long way toward stopping the Disney Dad behavior. Look for some things that dad does well with his son...things that don't hurt you or your couple relationship...and tell him. 3.) Prompt your DH to PLAN for extra time with son. It sounds like a lot of your problem is the impromptu nature of these extra visits as well as not being consulted. It was the same for me early on. If you have a BM that's open to extra time...be preemptive about it. Encourage him to take the son out...outside of your home. Our BM was always open to letting us have more time / involvement, so I would suggest outings for DH and one or more kids. Find things that you know SS likes (preferably cheap!) and point them out to your husband. Say: "Hey, look! You should take SS to this next week!" Be excited about it. Don't offer to go. I found that the more I encouraged my DH to see his kids outside of regularly-scheduled visitation, the less defensive he was when I said no to something else or asserted my right to be involved in the calendar decisions. And the less likely I was to come home to three skids lounging around my living room, TV turned all the way up, while dad was down in his basement office working. Encourage engagement from your DH...not just "time" for its own sake. 4.) Be preemptive about spontaneous visits, too. Odd as it sounds...as much as I hate the disruption to my life and my home...I actually do miss and want to see the skids on occasion. For short visits. If you EVER feel this way toward SS, take advantage of it. I would usually suggest something outside of the home that had a definite time-frame to it. Like: "Hey! It's a school holiday today. Want to see if any of the kids are free for a quick brunch?" I set up the time expectation in one sentence, chose something cheap (breakfast as opposed to lunch or dinner) and put it in the skids court. Let's see if they're free. I knew I was up for an hour or so of skid company...that I could do it with energy...and I jumped on it. Sometimes, the skids wouldn't be available. And, sometimes, believe it or not, DH would say..."Nah...I'd rather just the two of us go get some brunch."

My main point in this long expose is that you being preemptively involved can solve a lot of problems. At the very least, it will calm your DH's fear that he's "losing" his son if he feels he has someone in his court, looking out for him. And it will make you feel less left out and hurt. Notice that I'm not saying that YOU need to do MORE for your SS. All you need to do is affirm your DH's role in his son's life, encourage him to be proactive and plan for time with his son. Leave yourself out of it and keep putting it back in their court...in a positive way. I'm not saying that our relationship is now perfect...I still have a lot of resentment about the baggage, especially financial resentment. But there's a lot more peace, and I no longer feel like a non-entity in my own home, like I did at the beginning.

TroubledSM's picture

Thank you for this advice. I think this could be helpful. My SS is 10 and means the world to my husband. I don't want to interfere with that, I just want my place in the family and home. I will be trying this out starting today. I think we are going to try counseling too.

The Tyrant's picture

This is true. I have had bad experiences with feeling insignificant and feeling like we (being me and my wifes kids together) are less important when it comes to her son and his dad. We have always had to adjust our plans to accomidate for his dads plan which are often impromptu or when most convenient for him. She just goes with what is best for him and says she feels bad that he cant be with him but its really guilty parenting on her side and taking advantage on his part. I have had to "encourage" her to force him to make a scheduled plan as early as possible and stick to it. I will no longer be adjusting my plans to accomidate his. I'll go on with what i have to do and she can catch up later or miss out completely.

notasm3's picture

It's not the skid. You are married to a major ahole. It's up to you how you deal with that fact.

You can either accept it an STFU about crap that offends you or you can make a new life without a ton of bullsh*t - your choice.

stepinafrica's picture

These men are just jerks who use their children as props. I'm pretty sure if the kid was not there he would still be a jerk.

moeilijk's picture

Looks like if you want the rules to be followed, you'll have to enforce them. I'd be reminding DH often. And I'd ignore all of his defensiveness next time, just say, "Ok, but what about the problem we're trying to solve together?"

TroubledSM's picture

Thanks for the input everyone. I have very much been thinking the same thing but then questioning if I am being too witchy. I agree that this is my husband, not my SS. Just have to figure how to make him see my side without getting so defensive. I can't even talk to him about it now. Just sick of this. I contribute fully to the household and feel I deserve a seat at the decision table. He is clearly acting as a single father, he was for years before we got married. Guess I thought he was open to me helping out but now believe he does not think I am adequate enough to help with his kid. Sucks.

TroubledSM's picture

Sorry to keep on... But what are your thoughts on vacation? Is it reasonable that if we can afford to take two vacations that we do a couples and a family one? My husband is upset because he feels like we shouldn't go without my SS on any vacation.

The Tyrant's picture

I know I'm an awful person for this but my wife can't afford to even mention a vacation so I have about 100% control (i hate that i have to use this) over the vacationing. Ss14 will be leaving to college in 3.5 years, by then our kids together will be 8 and 7 at that time and I have spent the last 3 years avoiding vacations until he is off to college and I plan to plan the vacations when school is in for him and out for my two so we can go without him.i kinda feel awful, but i kinda dont...

hereiam's picture

If your husband wanted his life to revolve around his kid (and 2 kids that aren't even his), he should not have gotten married.

But he did get married and if he values the marriage, he will work with you to find a balance.

The two siblings of your SS need to stay home. We all signed up for a life with step children, we did not sign up for all of BM's other kids.

Was this something that was happening even before you got married?

As far as vacations, married couples often take vacations without kids, even in intact families. I can remember being left with my grandma occasionally, when my parents took a trip without us kids. Big woo.

TroubledSM's picture

Both kids from BM were before we got married. One kid my husband was a step father to for a few years. My husband feels sorry for these kids so many times, when we do something for my SS and those kids are around, my husband includes them too. Here's a good example, we stopped in to see my SS at his moms and when my husband remembered today was a school holiday, he encouraged my SS to go to our babysitters instead of staying at his moms for the day. Then my SS asked if his brother and sister could come too. He wanted all three to stay the night at our house so they could go straight to babysitters before work. Well, of course I got a little upset about the stay all night so then it changed to my husband driving 20 minutes out of his way to pick all three up to go to babysitters(this is like a play place for kids). To top it all off, he offered to pay for all to go. Should I not have any say in that? I do contribute significantly to our finances and home. All three kids had a place to stay for the day.

TroubledSM's picture

Right. I get tired of being the entertainer. It would be different if the child didn't expect entertainment. We get called to take them to the movies or other things when they are bored or don't want to go somewhere with BM. She doesn't care if or when they come over. My husband feels guilty saying no. In my mind this is no different than managing any other kid who doesn't want to do something; you shouldn't feel guilty or responsible to swoop in and save them from boredom.

beyond_fed_up's picture

Boundaries! Gotta set them. Hubby is obviously not giving you any consideration. I'd explain that you signed up for ONE SK, not 2 more that aren't even his kids. Sounds like marriage counseling is in order - you need a 3rd party to step in. It's nerve racking, but sometimes your spouse will listen to a 3rd party, even if they're backing up what you already said. You need to set up at least one night a week for one on one time with him.