You are here

Birthday manipulations and mystery text.

stepmomdavis's picture

MY DH's birthday is this Friday. He is turning 64. I thought it would be nice if the whole family celebrates together. I always invite his kids to spend their Dad's birthday with him and sometimes they come but often they do not. But they always have a celebration for him later where they exclude me.

This has been going on seven years now. So this year I told him that I want to be included in the birthday event with his kids. My brother will even be here from Chicago and I want him to come too since he and my DH really like each other. So we get a call from the oldest SD that she is "scared" of me and does not want me there! She said this after she came to our house to borrow towels. Apparently I am fine to borrow towels from but too scary to to be included in DH's birthday.

But wait! It gets weirder. The reason she is "scared " of me! Her dad apparently woke up in the night and sent her a text about what time they were getting together the next day and mentioned he wanted to see her roommate. Her roommate happens to be his son's ex girlfriend. He told his DD he didn't send it, I must have! He accused me because I guess the daughter thought it was weird that he mentioned wanting to see the ex girlfriend. Okay first of all, if I want to send a text to his kids I will text them from my phone. He read me the text but would not show it to me! Still hasn't shown it to me.

His mother has alzheimers, I went to his doctor a few months ago and begged them to test him as I was seeing some really erratic behavior like getting mad at me for conversations we didn't have! For turning the stove up to 500 degrees and leaving it like that until the room filled with smoke. So I could see how he could send a text and not remember it.

Now the irony is I saw him with his phone that night, the light even woke me up. He was talking and I rolled over and went to sleep. He does weird stuff and says stuff all the time in his sleep. He even remembers being somewhat awake. His phone is right next to his body but according to him I got up, blind without my contacts in the dark. Went all the way around the bed missing the dog stairs and dressers and stood there and texted his daughter.

So when she got upset he threw me under the bus says she doesn't want me there so I am not welcome. He called me mentally ill and schizophrenic using the fact that my grandmother, who I saw 2 times in my life , was a schizophrenic. He told me he didn't want me there when I first asked to be included so I knew something was going down. I know he is just using this stupid text to shut me out. I told him you should have told her the truth, that he sent it and probably forgot. And he should have stood up for me.

Now I don't want to throw him any kind of party. I am sleeping in the guest bedroom from now on. I knew when I told the SD who was "working" here that I wanted to have his birthday together and she got her typical sour look and said nothing that they would figure out a way to cut me out. But this is manipulative even for them.

dancemom33's picture

I agree with Sally. If this odd behavior is new, he should see a doctor. If your old way of having 2 parties was working keep doing it. I can understand the feeling of being left out but I think that would be easier to deal with than the stress of dealing with the Skids who don't seem to like you. Yes, trying hiding his phone at night.

Ruby55's picture

He is throwing you under the bus. Plan your exit strategy and if does have Alzheimer's let his wonderful kids care for him!

notarelative's picture

Alzheimer's.
Could be, but this is where hippa gets bad. You said you went to his doctor and begged them to test him. The question is - did they test him? (Or was he referred to a neurologist for testing as usually happens) Did you ever hear about testing or the results?
If H is at the beginning stages and he told them not to tell you, than you would not even know.

My advice is to double check all your financials and keep a close eye on them. Be sure that the arrangements that you expect are still in place.

peacemaker's picture

At this point why bother trying to be closer to the s kids?...If something happens to dh...they will be gone from your life anyway. It is a hard to face reality...but when i finally embraced the truth of the matter...I started living my life differently regarding s kids...

ETexasMom's picture

All of this name calling and being hateful towards you is emotional abuse. First he tells you you can't complain when your hurt and then he turns around and calls you mentally ill. Why are you still there?

notasm3's picture

And why do you want to have anything to do with any of these asses? Your dh being the biggest ass of all.

stepmomdavis's picture

You are all right. Except I don't feel like working on my marriage anymore.

Anyway, I wouldn't go to his thing with his kids if he paid me. His doctor said the only way they could test him was if he asked for it. So no testing. I went to his oldest brother who I am close to when I started seeing signs but he didn't care enough to even discuss it with DH. I give up. I have an audition tonight anyway and I will focus on that.