You are here

Father's Day Present WAAY over the top

newmom35's picture

SD got her dad this really loving father's day card..."when I ran into your arms and cried daddy daddy!..." it went on like this on both sides of the card. And a $50 gift card!! I can't compete with that. and I know it's not a competition, but I don't even come close.

newmom35's picture

Of course I did. Now it's stupid. A pad of paper with all our pictures on it. Probably cost $10 and I took him out to dinner. She's 12. Where did she get $50 for a father's day present? She doesn't even get us anything for Christmas.

Anon2009's picture

I know you're frustrated, but be happy he got acknowledged at all. Be happy YOU didn't have to pay for her present and that she, at the very least, found alternate means of paying for it. I don't know your sd but it sounds like she put some effort into it.

So many of the sks here do nothing for their fathers on Father's Day. They don't care about their dads or anyone else. She cares about her dad. That's a good thing.

SMof2Girls's picture

^^This.

I'm sure he's happy with his gifts from both of you. Some dads get nothing. If he's grateful, then there's no reason to feel slighted by being "outdone" by his kid.

twoviewpoints's picture

But your gift is not 'stupid'. It's not about money. Your gift was a meaningful AND useful gift. Gift cards take very little thought. Actually gift cards seem rather like a 'dime a dozen' type gift. You put thought into the pictured notepad. I'm sure your husband enjoyed his gifts and his day.

Unless SD earned the money by doing chores, you can pretty much know that gift card did not come from her. It is a bit excessive. Think about it. If SD had really thought 'I want to give Daddy a gift card', she'd be just as happy to have given him a $10 one with money she had actually earned the hard way (cleaning up her room, doing some yardwork, whatever).

mama_of_many5's picture

I'd be happy and surprised she even remembered/acknowledged. My SD is 12 too and didn't even clue in (even with the other kids running up to DH and wishing him HFD and giving him their homemade school gifts etc. It wasn't until SD asked me for something that I said "Sure. By the way, were you going to wish your Dad a HFD today or no?" She looked down and said she completely forgot. Yup. We hear that excuse a lot. She forgets everyones birthdays too including her dad's. I wonder if BM helped your SD get the $50 gift? DH *used* to get mothers day gifts for SD to give to her mom and keep smooth waters but it didn't stop BM from being a total wench so we stopped the effort. Don't get down on the gift you got your DH. Quality time at dinner with you and a token gift with sentimental memorabilia attached is much better than money

stormabruin's picture

It's Father's Day...to celebrate our fathers. It isn't Husband's Day. ANY gift from you is an extra perk. Don't make it about one gift being better than the other. $50 is more than I spent on my DH, but I don't think it's necessarily over the top. My DH got breakfast & a card from me, a text from his daughter & a phone call from his son to explain that they couldn't make it out to see him because after hitting the tanning bed, the game store, Walmart, & the movies, BM was too tired to bring them out.

You were both kind enough to think of him & put forth the effort to let him know you appreciate him. Your DH scored with 2 people who love him & took the opportunity to let him know. That's all it's about.

newmom35's picture

Thanks for the comments. The gift from me was from me and my son, just an fyi. I just needed to vent. All your comments are helpful.