You are here

Cables, tin foil and broomsticks, oh my!

Heyjude's picture

Hello. So awhile ago I blogged about my annoyance with wife and ASD.  I was feeling unwelcome and disrespected in my own home, and as the only one with a real job (career) I was ready to give everyone the boot.

Some of your responses brought me back to earth.  I sat down with wife and we divided our money and split the bills in a way we could both agree on. (Thank you).

i bought 6 new chargers and cables: two for wife, two for me, 2 for SGS IPAD.  I gave all old chargers to ASD.  I then explained to everyone that I would like my chargers to remain where I put them, and that extension chords when not being used should be put away.

I bought 2 new throws.  A blue one for me and a tan one for wife.  I gave the old ones to ASD and emptied a shelf in a piece of furniture for her to store one on the main level  I asked her to store the others in her space or basement.

When I mentioned being glad she was keeping the upstairs clean but I like to sweep daily so would appreciate her returning broom and vacuum to broom closet, she told me she had brooms and vacuum in basement I could have.  I dug through the stuff she threw in piles in the basement.  I found brooms, sweeper, paper towels, light bulbs, wax paper, etc.  I took her ratty brooms and sweeper upstairs to her closet and brought mine down.  They are now stored in my bedroom closet and I am happily maintaining my hardwood floors once again.  The kitchen supplies joined the ones I have been supplying the whole house with.

Finally, I came to terms with some facts:

1. As long as ASD lives here I cannot plan on spending any of my time in the living room.  I will enjoy it when she is not sprawled from end to end.

2. I chose to raise her son a few years ago, not to be a mommy to her.  I will work on keeping my relationship with her as functional as possible for his sake, I am no longer going to offer to help her out with life.  I have agreed to give her a place to live and to raise her son,  The rest is up to her. (She will most likely remain on my sofa until I die)

3.  While we have a large room upstairs where we allowed her to put her sofa and tv, we do not have a lease with her specifying use of space.  I have begun hanging out in there with grandson when she is in living room.

4. She will never pay much attention to GS even though she is technically his mother.  I am okay with that.

5.  Getting angry at wife because I am inconvenienced by her toxic relationship with her AD is pointless.  I knew how dysfunctional it was before I ever agreed to let her live here.  Years of therapy haven’t changed anything, my grumping about isn’t going to.

I will make changes where I can, adapt when I must.

When little annoyances get the best of me, I will find a safe outlet and move on.  This website is such an outlet.  I am going to get into therapy.  I wish my wife would too, but I realize that is on her, not me.

Thanks for being an ear and for all comments and advice.

Heyjude's picture

He came home with us when he was born and he is the LIGHT of my life.  We did try to talk her into putting him up for adoption (even though our hearts would’ve broken, the best thing for him would’ve been to be raised in a stable environment with parents who weren’t in their 50s.  Barring that, we are the best place for him and I want to make sure he knows his potential and grows up knowing support and love.  

I made a HUGE mistake when I let ASD move in.  While it is supposed to be temporary, I don’t think it will be.  She has only been here 3 months so far.

Heyjude's picture

I was in a miserable marriage for over 2 decades. I kept believing it would get better.  It took a lot of therapy to realize it wouldn’t.  My wife and I are good.  We are comfortable in each other’s company.  I love being with her and with GS. 

Heyjude's picture

She has had a very hard life.  She has conditioned herself to be afraid of ASD, so much so she doesn’t realize how much she kisses her ass.

That being said, if I make something specific she gets it and gets on board.  She just can’t see it herself.

I never had kids of my own, left a bad marriage in my mid 40s, came out the next year.  My wife is Far from perfect, but so am I and somehow we fit.

For the first time in my life I love the person I come home to and enjoy being with her.  We can talk about both religion and politics and love to, we love to dance and sing, we still send each other romantic texts.  It is easy and right.

I don’t expect life to be perfect, and while I’d love to boot ASD, and may if I figure out a way that doesn’t bring crazy drama, right now I just want to make things work for wife, grandson and me.

Rags's picture

Reclaim the living room.  Incrementally limit the space in the home that she has access to.  Out the cable and internet control in your phone and only activate it if you are in the living room.

Technology is a great tool for injecting a state of abject misery into the lives of toxic people in your home.

Keep tightening the reins until she launches.   Work on obtaining guardianship of GS for you and your wife so that you can continue to mitigate the toxic influence of his mother.

Keep adapting your plan as you work the plan.   What. You are doing seems to be working.

One thing I would not do is surrender your home, marriage or family to this waste of skin BM/SD.

Mandy45's picture

Sometimes you just have to grit your teeth with certain things. Not let someone ruin your whole relationship. With there misery. Sure it will get to a point at sometime where your wife will get sick of her daughters bull. Will kick her out. Just make sure you lock the door forever when she does.