You are here

Saving Text Messages

SouthernBelle04's picture
Forums: 

Has anyone found a good system for saving text messages? The BM in our lives constantly text messages my SO. He has asked her numerous times to either call him (so that we can record the conversation) or to email him (so that the conversation is documented). She will not email him because "I don't know who's on the other side emailing me back". She says that she doesn't get good enough telephone service to call so text messaging is her only option. I have gone through our cell phone provider and they say that even with a subpoena, they cannot release our text messages because they don't save them. Are there any effective ways to reproduce text messages that can be held up in court if we need them to be? Her behavior in them is often threatening, calling SO all sorts of names and in some cases outright lying to him. We have thought about just cutting off his text messaging but it is the main way that we communicate during the day. Any advice would be SOOO helpful!!! Thanks!

Jbee27's picture

I can forward text messages onto my email address. Maybe if you had the text messages forwarded to your email address and have the billing records of when the texts were sent to match up with what's in your email, that may help.

melis070179's picture

Well all I know that I can do is move them to my SIM card. I told my ex that I blocked texting, even though I would text with everyone else, just to get his to stop texting me. He still sent them for a little while, I just never responded and acted like I had none of the info he sent in the messages, within a week or so he stopped texting and started leaving voicemails Smile

"I child proofed my whole house, but they STILL get in!"

imagr8tma's picture

Great Idea Melis........

We forwarded BM's to email and printed them out.

********She doesn't have to love me or even like me - it doesn't change a dang thing..... So get over it and move on BM!************

SouthernBelle04's picture

If you forward them to email and print them off, can you use them in court since there's no way to prove the original sender?

I saw another post on this site that mentioned treasuremytext.com but it has the same basic issues as forwarding emails, where you can't prove the original sender and thus the authenticity so I'm not sure of the legal standing.

I know it seems dumb but we really would rather not cut off the text messaging. My SO works outdoors and can't talk on the phone and although he's explained this to BM, she always insists that he's ignoring her calls on purpose and that if he wanted to answer he could. When we told her that his messaging was cut off just to try and get her to use other forms of communication, she just wouldn't tell SO when there were emergency situations with the baby or she would call and not leave a message so that SO would never know if it was an emergency that he needed to call her back at work over or not. SO was left so out of the loop and taken off guard that he felt like it was necessary to tell her that he had his texting put back on so that he wasn't cut out of information, especially those emergency situations.

stepmom008's picture

there's a website called treasuremytext.com. it's completely free and you just forward the messages to the number that they give you. the only thing that sucks is that you have to manually change the date and time of the text but i've found it to be very useful.

luckykell's picture

What kind of phone do you have? Some of the newer phones have "screen shots" that you can email and print out. This has been very very useful in our situation b/c same as you BM continues to text after repeated requests to stop!

"Live well, Love much, Laugh often."

Purpleflower09's picture

I'm not a tech geek...if I were your SO, what I personally would do is absolutly refuse to respond to ANY of her text messages. Do not reply, do not call if she texts " call me" nothing until she call or starts emailing. She is not in control, you and your S.O are...so don't respond to her texts at all.

Purpleflower

Rags's picture

She really is an idiot if she is trying to convince your DH that she has poor cell coverage and can't call but can text. It uses the same cell connection to text as it does to call.

DipShit! I love stupid people. They are so entertaining. Your Skid's BM counts by the way.

Best regards,

Success is rarely final. Failure is rarely fatal. It is character, courage and consistency of effort that count. Vince Lombardi (with some minor Rags modifications) To each according to their performance, screw Karl Marx. (Rags)

Wicked.Step.Monster's picture

Actually where I live there are several places where we can get a text to send but can't get a call to go through, so there might be some truth to what she said.

Amazed's picture

Oh I can't stand when that happens! When I lived in my condo I could never make a call from inside but I could text all day and all night. It really sucked. If I wanted to talk on my cell I'd have to go outside or sit by a window.

~“For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone"~ Audrey Hepburn

Rags's picture

I have the same problem in my living room at home. Intermittently I can call and I can text but neither will connect consistently. I often have to resend texts that fail to deliver as well as make several calls to get through a single conversation.

My point was that if one works the other will work if only intermittently.

The joys of modern technology. 25yrs ago no one had cell phones, now we seem to be lost without them. Me included.

Best regards,

Success is rarely final. Failure is rarely fatal. It is character, courage and consistency of effort that count. Vince Lombardi (with some minor Rags modifications) To each according to their performance, screw Karl Marx. (Rags)

Stepmomtogirls's picture

I do screen shots of all the txts I get from my ex, it REALLY helped me in court. Can you guys do that with your phone? Or maybe upgrade to a phone that can do screen shots?