You are here

their. dog. gave. me. fleas.

sjbrown2210's picture

Let me, preface this by saying I am in love with the most wonderful man in the world. He makes me laugh, he's my voice of reason and one day I would like to marry him. He has twins (a boy and a girl, 13yo) and I don't really have a problem with his daughter. I am not fond of his son (his voice, topics of conversation and manners make me want to throw up and eat it) but I have learned to tolerate him (read: ignore, although, I'm learning that the proper term is "disenage", which I have to read up on). My BF and I have been together for 2 1/2 years and lived together for 1 1/2 yrs. I, myself, do not have any kids.

On occasion, my BF will bring the kids' dog to our apartment with him and the children when they come over on his weekend. That is perfectly fine wth me. Their dog is a sweetheart and I like it when he comes over (I never had a pet when I was growing up). About three weeks ago (the last time the dog was over) I noticed that their dog was itching like a mad man. I asked my BF about it when we went to bed and he says that it's because the BM gives the dog too many baths. Having no prior pet knowledge, I took his word for it and went to sleep. Later that week, I noticed that I was getting little bumps on my lower legs, ankles and on the tops of my feet. Summer had just started in a hot and nasty way at about that time, so I assumed that they were the first mosquito bites of the season. But then I noticed that the bites were not going away and that they were itching like hell. I mentioned it to my BF and he dismissed them as mosquito bites, and now that I think back on it, he may have been getting defensive thinking that I was bad mouthing his dog (Which I wasn't. I understand it's not the dog's fault).

But I digress. On Saturday night, he mentioned to me that he saw two fleas on his person when he stepped outside for a cigarette. Sunday morning, I saw two on me while I was in the bathroom that the dog liked to sleep in. Sunday night, my BF caught 12 (12!!) fleas IN OUR BEDROOM before he went to bed. We have BRAND NEW carpet throughout our apartment so it can't be from another person living here (plus we've been here for 1 1/2 years!). It has become clear that we have an infestation. Because of the fact that the infestation seems to be the worst in the bedroom, I refuse to sleep in there, and consequently, I can't sleep with my BF. I am on a level of pissed-off that I have never been before. The reason that I am so super-livid is that I have lived with a number of pests in my childhood and I have strived to keep them out of the homes that I reside in as an adult. I think I am mad at the BM for not checking the dog (who lives with her for 99% of the time) for fleas and allowing them to be transmitted into my home. I think that people will think that I am dirty (which I will NOT tolerate) or keep a dirty home because of the infestation. I asked my BF if he asked the kids if they have any bite marks or notice anything. He said that he didn't want to scare them (which is total b.s. They are 13, why do they need to be babied when it comes to things like this?).

I did some research and learned that fleas can hitch rides (like on/in bags/clothes that the kids bring from BM's house) and be brought into another place that doesn't have them. If this is indeed true, I will have some hard descisions to make. Like:

1. If, after we bomb the apartment (which we are doing tonight!), vacuum and all the other stuff you do to get rid of the little buggers, we still have fleas, how do I ask my BF tacitly to check his kids for fleas? (God, that sounds horrible)

2. If we get another infestation due to the fact that the kids are bringing the fleas with them, (and this suggestion KILLS me every time I think about it) am I in the wrong for wanting to live separately until this matter is rectified?

I really don't want to do the living seperately option; it is a last ditch effort, mind you. But if this infestation continues after we have taken the proper avenues to clear it, I don't know what else to do. I don't want to leave my BF; I love him far too much but I can't have these filthy pests in my home, I refuse.

Please help if you can.

Anywho78's picture

Hi SJ,

I totally understand your being upset by this fiasco! There are quite a few simple(ish) procedures that you can do...there is a flea killing carpet powder that can be vaccumed up & if they keep bringing the dog over, pop a cheap flea collar on him/her. Normally, fleas won't get too bad if an animal doesn't live there though. Are you sure it's fleas?

I'd suggest washing the Skids clothes as soon as they arrive too & having them shower.

I used to foster dogs straight out of Animal Control & the fleas were insane but manageable once I got it down.

I can imagine that he may get offended but at the end of the day, if that's the only animal that you've been around, there really isn't any other source for infestation.

It's a toughy though, good luck!

sjbrown2210's picture

hey anywho (love your SN btw),

I would wash their clothes, have the kids scrub down and steam clean their bags if I could, but the BM is a prime, Grade A control freak. She won't let me try and bond with her daughter (but that's something I've learned to deal with on my own) let alone wash their clothes and make them shower. My BF tends to take the path of least resistance and avoids conflict with her. So I wouldn't know the first thing about knowing how to breach this subject... I guess I should spray the car too...

Anywho78's picture

Have you asked your BF where HE thinks the fleas came from? If he can come up with another source (that makes sense) I could understand him being resistant to the idea but if the SKids with dog are the only possible source, he's going to have to back YOU up instead of taking the "path of least resistance". Remember, this is YOUR home too & you need to feel like you have a say in the protection of your home whether it be from robbery or from creepy-crawlies!

That path (of least resistance) is a HUGE pet peeve of mine BTW...my SO & I have nearly broken up over it a few times. There came a point where I felt like that path was just a way for him to say "how high to you want me to jump" & BM Nasty took/takes advantage whenever the opportunity is given to her.

Back to the issue at hand though...to keep the fleas from infesting your home without having to do anything with the Skids...go to Petco or Petsmart & purchase a flea powder. You put it into your carpet & leave it there for a few minutes. Vacuum it up & dispose of the bag right away. Do this before & after their visits plus wash any bedding & you should be good to go. That's I guess the "easiest" way to deal with it. No one's feelings will be hurt & no one's toes will be stepped on Biggrin

I'd also suggest mentioning flea prevention to them...as responsible pet owners. Never too soon to teach them how to care for their pets properly & flea/heartworm prevention is a HIGH priority. It may well fall on deaf ears (my SD14 is an animal lover but is also a redneck like her BM, so any information given falls on deaf ears), but at least you'll have done your part.

Again, welcome & GOOD LUCK!

sjbrown2210's picture

They are the only people who have a dog and that stay for long periods of time. It really bothers me that I have these things in my house. We are nipping this shit in the bud. As soon as I get paid, I am buying powder, spray, every damn thing Walmart has to offer (I have to go to Walmart because it's the only place open after I get off 3rd shift)!!! Any advice on how long an infestation can last if I get all banzai about ending it? I need to know so I can plan my tacit comments accordingly.

Anywho78's picture

Once you treat the carpet & wash the bedding, your problem should be sorted out.

Technically, the cycle is about 15 days from grown adult to a hatching egg...so if you do the carpet treatment about 2 wks from tomorrow, you should be good.

I'd reiterate though that putting the flea powder into the carpet before & then after the SKids visit, you should be good in the future.

If you have a chance, after your trip to walmart (for your initial move against the bugs), def. try to hit up a Petco or Petsmart as they have a wide selection of really good flea powder products that aren't available at Walmart.

Best of luck!

stepfamilyfriend's picture

We have had five dogs, several cats, horses chickens and more, all at once. Unfortunately I am very familiar with fleas and every so often we get them in the house again.
The Program is the most effective , safest, solution. Pricey....
Vacuum every single day, disposing of the bag, at least twice a day, until all eggs have hatched.
I have read about fleas hitching rides on people but that is unlikely.
Bombs and fumigation are toxic.
Unless you know for sure, suggestions if his kids bringing over fleas, will not be taken well , I would think.

Kes's picture

I have run up against fleas quite a lot, as I lived on a farm for many years, and our chickens, as well as dogs got them occasionally. They can be quite difficult to eradicate if they have become established, as the eggs can live in a dormant phase in carpets for up to years in some cases. For my dog, I use a "Spot On" type flea preventative, which is a tiny tube of liquid which you squeeze onto the dog's skin, first parting the fur, once a month. It is most effective if you dot it all down the spine rather than just dump the lot between the shoulders, as it usually says to do in the instructions. This stops fleas breeding on your dog.
However in summer months, your dog may still pick up the odd flea and if you see him scratching a lot, you can give a pill to the dog which can be bought over the counter, to kill any fleas currently on the dog.
Also, to deal with any fleas and eggs in your house, you need to buy a spray to treat the carpets/floors once a year. They say spray the furniture as well, but this isn't necessary, as fleas and eggs all fall to the floor if you brush the furniture, they do not adhere to fabric or clothes or anything else.
If you choose to buy the dog a flea collar instead of using a spot on treatment, you need to get one with an effective insecticide, such as diazinon. If it says on the packet that the active ingredient is piperazine - this is useless.
Hope that helps.

sjbrown2210's picture

Update!

My BF apologized for doubting me about the fleas. Now my only problem is the fact that we both feel gross and kinda down about this whole situation. I don't want to ban the dog but if the dog isn't flea-free for at least a month, he can't come back here.

mama_althea's picture

Late to this thread, but had to chime in...

Fleas are gross and itchy, but it doesn't have to be a big deal. If the skids don't live too far away is it possible just to helpfully offer to treat the dog's fleas? It doesn't have to be dealt with in an accusatory or dramatic way with BM. Yes, we desal with BM craziness, so I know how important the approach is. She probably doesn't want fleas either, though.

There are very safe and effective products out there that maybe BM isn't familiar with. I deal with fleas (and other animal stuff) professionally. For your home you should use an area treatment spray that also contains an Insect Growth Regulator ingredient to kill all life stages of the fleas (adult, larvae, and eggs), following the vacuuming and square foot coverage instructions on the label. BM should do the same since it's safe to say their house is infested as well. On the pet you should use a veterinarian approved product, such as monthly topicals (I don't know if specific mention of brand names is permitted here, but Advantage/Advantix or Frontline are 2 that are easy to find) or pills. Topicals have longer residual effect and you wouldn't have to worry about the dog coming to stay. Please be wary of discount or off-brand topicals or collars- even though they say they are "like" the name brands, most do not contain the same safe ingredients. The better products will cost more, but depending on the size of the dog, $10-15/per month is worth it for health and safety at both homes. Also, even some of the better products for dogs are not safe to use around cats, in case BM has other pets at home.

sjbrown2210's picture

mama_althea,

My BF has offered the flea pill that you get at the vet to his ex-wife but she hasn't given it to the dog yet. And she also claims that she "doesn't have fleas" and my BF noted that they have hardwood floors so they don't notice the fleas as much. Maybe the fleas are tired of sucking on her because she's a sour bitch. I'm sorry, that was immature....

As far as cleaning my house, we have bombed and I have sprinkled fleas powder and vacuumed a couple times. I have only seen a couple holdouts and I took to spraying the room with a flea spray that claims to kils fleas at all life stages. I don't believe that the BM has another pet at the house.

I do have another question, though. Can one be allergic to flea bites? My bites have gone nowhere despite all the measures I have taken to relieve the ones I have and they seem to be very sore.

I am SOOOO pissed off about this and I want to be mad at someone but I don't know who to be mad at. I know I'm not mad at the dog but this new problem with my bites is really, really upsetting me. My legs used to be so pretty. I didn't ask for this.