You are here

My child too much for step-dad.... anyone else's kid the topic of distress???

testingdestiny's picture

Anyone the bio-parent of the child that is being out of control? Lots of step-parents complaining about their step-kids but my DH is saying its my daughter. Anyone in the same situation as me? Anyone who actually admits to it being their kid? Anyone that has made it through it and how did you do it? How did you make the DH feel better?

my.kids.mom's picture

Do YOU think it's your daughter? Remember, your DH is a step parent, too. What do you think? Is his complaint valid?

testingdestiny's picture

Well, I originally wrote a post asking if he was valid. After writing it all out, it seemed to me like she was causing the problems. None of the things that he is complaining about are things that I want my child to do. I worry that she is too young to grasp the things that are causing the difficulties, and I worry that I am not giving her enough credit and selling her short, making excuses for her. I have had this fight many times with BF and always promise to fix things. Then, it comes up again in 2 weeks because I have fallen into the same pattern. I am a firm believer that if you always do the same thing, you will always get the same result. I dont know if it is my natural parenting style or if I am just lazy. Bf will suck it up until he feels that he cant take it anymore and then it explodes to a point that he doesnt even know if he wants to be with me. I cant seem to stop the cycle. When it gets to this point there is no making him feel better or calming his anger. We have the same issues with my SS sometimes, but I am focusing on my DD because it is the current issue. I am torn between being on my daughter's butt all the time (which is what it feels like BF wants from me), and letting her just be a kid, a 4-year old. I dont know where the boundry lies and dont know how to get BF to stop looking for the negative. How to help him let go of resentments so that we can move on and so that every little thing doesnt push him further over the edge. He tells me that I am going to have to deal with his frustration and resentments until I have proven that things have changed. I dont blame him... it is really aggrevating.

alwaysanxious's picture

Why don't you sit down with him, make some explicit rules put them on the fridge and go over them with her. Consistency is key to parenting. Even at 4 years old.

It also sounds like he could use some venting therapy here. I guess if you are here though he wouldn't get much anonymity.

Oh and I think its wonderful that you are really trying to see both sides here.

hippiegirl's picture

It's natural....I didn't want my new stepdad in my house when I was around that age, either. She's "causing problems" because she is just a kid who does not like these changes being made about her life without her say-so. She grow out of it soon. Smile

testingdestiny's picture

We came up with a solution of writing her rules down and enforcing it with a behavior chart and consequeces. The problem is, BF is so mad that he is still acting out towards me and fighting with me even though we have come up with a plan. How do I help him feel better? Do I just let him be angry and mad and take it out on me until he gets it out of his system? He says he doesnt know if he wants to be with me even though we have a game plan. He has been pushed far, I can admit that. Now how do I make it better.

alwaysanxious's picture

I imagine he doesn't really trust that you will follow through. Maybe he needs some time to see that you two are going to really handle things together now.

I don't think you should just let him take his anger out on you. When he gets mad, you both should time out and talk about what is going on.

alwaysanxious's picture

all you can do is try to show him you've changed. Try a family counselor who deals with step parenting issues.

testingdestiny's picture

Natural or not, I dont want my daughter to develop coping skills like that. I cant take the risk that she wont grow out of it. She needs to learn better ways of handling herself. Some of the things have nothing to do with him and its just plain self-centeredness. The things that are pushing DH to the edge are things that she will need to learn in life. Not inturrupting or taking attention from others.

RaeRae's picture

My kids are little assholes. I say that lovingly. They have their good, wonderful, loving, caring side... But when it comes to authority and rules, my ex husband was not the best example or teacher for them. They do not give my DH the respect he deserves. They have gotten much better since I divorced their father, and especially since I married DH and they have a good male role model in their lives. But they still have a lot of room for improvement. I'm sure hormones are playing a role in this too, as two of them are experiencing the wonders of puberty at the moment....

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

Your BF sounds like me when I'm pushed too far, which for some odd reason, my FDH always likes to get away with as much as he can for as long as possible--until he is on the verge of losing me and then he gets that "AHA!" moment.

I think it would benefit everyone if my FDH just took my "talks" with him as something that I would like to see DONE, not just a mere suggestion or food for thought. The way to avoid having them on the verge is to implement change the moment that they seem to be uncomfortable, not when they can't take it anymore. You don't stop a dog from jumping on your AFTER it's already trampled you over twenty times, you stop him the moment he has an inkling of trying to do so.

This is me and perhaps what is going through your BF's mind (as I have said his exact words to my FDH when it gets too much): I can only be yo-yoed so much before I say "screw this, I don't have to deal with this, with you, and your lack of conscientiousness when it comes to my feelings."

ALL children benefit from structure and discipline--there is no excuse for bad behavior, not even "she's only 4, she doesn't know better", "she's only 2, she doesn't know better." You implement age appropriate control and keep with it. I think your BF needs to see you can follow through with your promises, because if you can't, to him it will feel like he's been lied to and stayed because he was led to believe things will get better. It's not fair to him. The length of time I lash out and get angry increases every time FDH doesn't do what he says, and it will only get longer and longer until one day, I won't come back.

It's a good step you're taking, don't be lazy, and be firm even if you don't want to be. The fact that you understand your daughter is affecting your relationship and that her behavior is unacceptable means you're on the path to mending your relationship. It might take a while, but trust needs to be gained back and I think you can do it. I wish you lots of luck.

testingdestiny's picture

I appreciate all the help! I know what I need to do even if DH decides to leave. That is how I know that DD needs this. Its not because of DH, its what is necessary for her to be a good person. I need to find a way to help DH heal. I hear that my actions are what will do it, that is what he says too. Just hope that I get the chance to do so. I also hope that I can find what it is inside myself that lets my DD get away with it. I dont always see the things that DH sees her do. Makes sense when he points them out, but by that time he is pushed too far.

alwaysanxious's picture

He sounds like a lot of us. We just let it build until we blow up.

Good luck to you!

alwaysanxious's picture

It would make me feel better if SO would parent his kids properly instead of being a guilty dad. It would make me feel better if he didn't sneak R rated movies to his daughter behind my back even though we agreed she shouldn't watch them. It would make me feel better if he wouldn't yell about how horrible it is that his daughter gets bad grades, but then does nothing about it. I would feel better if he didn't act different around me when his daughter is with us.

Honestly, I've given up and I just don't have much to do with him or his kids anymore. I don't like family outings so I avoid them, I don't have opinions about how they are parented or raised anymore and I don't help them with things. That's all his problem. I gave it a long time a trying and its just not worth it anymore. When they are here, I make my own plans and just let him deal with them by himself.

At this point, its best if he just accepts my being disengaged.

testingdestiny's picture

He has a little more against him than most. It gets worse when it is his weekend with his son. He says that my DD goes nuts when SS is here and it ruins his time with his kiddo. I feel like he is so tense when his son is here that its almost doomed to be that way forever. His kiddo goes back to his mom's today after a weekend that DD drove DH nuts. Now I am doing the new discipline and such and it is just going to anger him that my DD is behaving since his DS is gone. I feel like I am trapted in a no win situation. I have to get on DD's butt but DH will resent that it all changes once his son leaves. His son leaving is not why it is changing.... It is just bad timing. DD does behave better when DSS is not around. I dont know why. Its so complicated and frustrating. My DH and I have an amazing relationship when its just us. I have to find a way to heal all of this. Sad

testingdestiny's picture

I dont think its men. I think it is human. i think it is a lack of accepting responsibility and I think that it is the messed up way of thinking. I catch myself worrying more about my DD's happiness than what is best for her. I think all parents have that issue.

christinen's picture

I think it's great that you are recognizing there is an issue and working to fix it! I agree with the others, your DH definitely needs to SEE a change and not just hear that there will be one. I say this because I am engaged to a man with a 4 year old daughter. We have been together 2 years and living together 1 year and SD is the ONLY thing we EVER fight about. We have her every other week for the full week and that time is ROUGH. But the weeks it's just the 2 of us are great. I am one who builds so much up inside me & then finally explode, yelling, throwing things, slamming doors- things I NEVER used to do. It's HARD. I think as long as you are able to see that there is an issue though, and as long as you do the things you say you are going to do, you will be ok! The biggest problem I have with my fiance is that he's all talk. He will say whatever I want to hear to shut me up but he never actually changes anything.

testingdestiny's picture

He refused to hug her goodnight last night. Does unconditional love develop with step-parents? He said he was too angry and I make him feel like he has to cater to her. Is that just mean or is it understandable? He would never refuse to hug his own kid. He is holding onto so much resentment. I dont know at what point I say it is not worth it and give up.

Patsy's picture

Your little girl wanted a hug from him and he would not give her one? I think I would have a very hard time with that! How long has he been in her life?

Disneyfan's picture

That's pretty quick for a 4 year old to go from just mommy and me to living with mommy's BF.

Have you thought about getting your own apartment and just dating your BF?

testingdestiny's picture

I agree that we moved really fast. We clicked so well in the begining, and when it is just the 2 of us that we just went for it. Now we are in too deep.

christinen's picture

My fiance and I moved in together after being together 9 months too. Now it has been 2 years since we have been together & 1 year living together and still not any better. It has actually gotten a lot worse. However, I try not to take our fighting out on SD and if she wanted a hug goodnight, I would give it to her.

Patsy's picture

In my opinion, he should be willing to give a little at this point. My SD's step father still has nothing to do with her. He will not talk to her or show any kind of affection and he has been in her like since she was 18months old, she is now 15. I think this is what is really causing a lot of her "daddy issues." I can tell you feel this is not right and as a bio and step mother I know when I feel something is not right it usually isn't. I would have to really find out where my BF stood on this before continuing on. I feel step parenting is at least twice as hard as bio parenting. Do you feel like he is cut out for this? How old is he?

testingdestiny's picture

he is 32. i think he resents me cause i have full custody of my daughter and he has every other weekend. he says that he shouldnt have to do everything with my daughter that he does with his son because his time with his son is special since we dont have him as often. It is twice as hard. Im getting to the point where I dont think it is going to work no matter how much I love him. Doesnt help that I just miscarraged his child Jan 2nd. He is still raging mad 2 days later. Screaming at me and saying that I have forced him to put up with so much. I dont know what to do.

testingdestiny's picture

that came out wrong... the emotional toll of the miscarriage is still there and stressing him out. he never screamed at me for it. sorry that was confusing.

Patsy's picture

Then maybe he doesnt understand that he would want his sons step father to be good to his son. It really does sound to me he is still so new to this he doesn't know what to do. I think you are right he is holding his resentment about his ex against you! I personally think he is being immature about all of this. He may grow up, but do you want to wait around for that to happen? You only have your kids until they are about 14 then they figure they know it all until they are about 25 again. What i mean is this is all the time you have to really make an impact on their morals by 14 they are into what everyone else does around them. Don't waist this time wondering if your BF will come around. When I got with my DH I thought I was ready to take on the responsibility to be a step-parent. In reality you are never really ready, but you know you want what is best for your SD and significant other. If he is too wrapped up in the past and in himself he will NEVER move on. It is not your girls fault, I know you know that, but does he? Can he see himself being there for your daughter even when you are not around? Do you see yourself ever leaving your girl in his care if need be. Even if a child is a complete brat a step-parent has to be able to be there for them when the time comes. I am sure he is not a bad guy, but some people are not cut out to be step-parents.

frustratedstepdad's picture

The fact that you are willing to recognize that your daughter MIGHT be the problem is an important step. Like others have said, you might want to consider family counseling, and giving him an outlet to vent.

testingdestiny's picture

It worked! Amazingly enough my plan to outline expectations worked and my DH is finally talking to me again and being the sweet man I fell in love with! Turns out that there were many expectations we had for each other that were not the same or that the other one was not aware of. I was able to lower my standards for him to a more fair and reasonable manner. And I was able to understand where he was coming from. The biggest moment, he was hurt that I dont trust that he will make the best decisions that are in the best interest of my DD. He was hurt more than anything else and I had to let go of the idea that he was just out to hurt my DD. He made it clear that he didnt hate my daughter and that he forgives her as she is a child. All things that were wrong but I was holding against him. He feels as if his time with his DS is special as he does not have him nearly the same amount of time that we have my DD.

I never would have been able to live up to his expectations because I didnt know what they were.

Here are few of the expectations we laid out for each other:
Always be kind.
Be approachable and open to the SO's opinion and feelings.
Trust that the other SO has the best intentions for the SD or SS.
Always be there for the SD or SS when needed.
Forgive the SD and SS. They are children.
Bring up issues before they are too much to handle.
Always be aware of our own children's actions so that they are not hurting the step-parent when the bio is not looking.
Trust that when one parent says something is going on, it is actually happening. No need to question each other.
Talk about these issues after the kids are in bed or with their other bio parents. Not in front of them for 2 reasons: it undermines our authority and it ruins the limited amount of time with SS.
What we give our children are based on their needs. Not the expectations of the other parent. Things are fair but not always equal.
Expect that we want the same things for both children. (behaviors, happiness, etc)
There are to be consequences for actions.

We left it as an open dialog. There will be more added as the situation changes, but FINALLY we have a common ground to work with. I suggest that everyone do what we did. I wrote down my expectations for him as a dad, step-dad and a SO. He did the same. Then we discussed them and were able to add, take away and change then into manageable, obtainable goals. We are on the same page and now we can move together as a family! It is going to be hard work but we can do it!!! Together!!

my.kids.mom's picture

The things you have stated she does are TOTALLY age appropriate. It seems like your dh is being SUPER highly sensitive, and a butthead I might add. You are GOING to have things that you have to work on with a 4 yr old. ALWAYS. But it almost sounds like they are things that drive him nuts that you agree need to be disciplined, but at the same time, if they bothered you, you would have disciplined for them in the first place. For instance, I can't STAND it when my bf's daughter baby talks. It doesn't bother him at all. So he lets her do it. Every parent has different pet peeves. When I read the first post or so, I thought your daughter was older. But when I read she was 4, I couldn't believe that a 4 yr old could cause a grown man to get so upset. Put it all in perspective.

That said, my dd is 9. I have her full time. Things are great when bf doesn't have his kids. But bc he treats my daughter differently when he has them, she acts out. Grown women on here who experience the same type of thing can barely control their emotions when their SO does this. How can we expect children to handle it better? I'm not sure of all the behavior issues, but you and he need to understand that it's going to take a while for your daughter to adjust. If he can't accept that, then he will probably never be able to accept your daughter.

testingdestiny's picture

She is more mature than the typical 4 year old. She is brighter in most areas and is in advanced placement kindergarten. Plus, I didnt list all the issues and the stuff that she is doing is hurtig people. I cant let that go on no matter what age. She is going crazy to the point that his 2 year old son ends up hurting everytime they play. She has 5 rules that we are working on. She earns a smiley face at the end of each day if she follows the rules.

1. Do as you are told when you are told to do it. The first time.
2. Put others before yourself.
3. Worry about yourself and what you are supposed to be doing. (She bosses the younger kids around)
4. No lies
5. Keep yourself calm and under control (When she goes cray she knocks people over and "accidently hurts them)

None of these are things i want for my kiddo. No matter how the SO feels. Smile

my.kids.mom's picture

I can't wait until your dh tries #1 and 2 with his 2 yr old!

The one thing I want to hit on is #3. My daughter is just like yours, but she is 9. She's a year ahead in school, very perceptive, intuitive, intelligent, energetic, etc. While it's annoying when kids are bossy, in charge, telling others what to do...you need to realize that it's NOT to be a pain. I have figured out that my daughter does a lot of the "bossing" because she really thinks she is helping. For instance, when she tells her brother(10) what to do, she knows it's something I would do/say, so she is doing it so I don't have to. I am constantly having to tell her to worry about herself and not everyone else. But I *do* make sure that when her "bossiness" is helpful I acknowledge it. In other words, don't go against everything she says just to show her her place. For example, if we are trying to decide where to go eat, and she says, "We should go to X because A,B,C," if her point is valid I recognize that. Often we are tempted to never give the child an inch for fear that they will take a mile. But with this, you have to pick and choose your battles. You may find that your daughter becomes a very helpful little "boss" when it comes to taking care of your ss. Cultivate that, don't stomp it out!

Do you have any pets? Does your daughter have anything she is in charge of? Even if it's a fish...they learn a LOT from having a pet. Also, what extra-curricular activities is she doing? She needs to be involved in something outside of school/home. Whether it's art, music, dance, sports, scouts, etc. you will find that a lot of things work themselves out when other adults who have certain expectations have authority over her.

testingdestiny's picture

I am interested in how DH handles 1 and 2 as well. But at least I have been through it so i can come from a place of compassion.

Little boss might be helpful when she can do what she is suppossed to. Until then, she doesnt need to look at others doing wrong when she is not doing right. She will build hate and resentment in people if she holds others in higher standard than herself. I know, that is what I was doing.

She goes to school everyday. Pre-K, not daycare. and She has sea monkeys lol

ctnmom's picture

I might get pilloried for saying this, but I wouldn't be with someone who resented my kid that much AT ANY TIME. Not happening."Put others before yourself"? A little harsh for 4. That's an ongoing teachable trait-still working on that w/ Perfectson22, and he's a fabulous, successful man. Also, kids have built in bs detectors. My SF used to do things like give me dirty looks and make fun of what I made myself for dinner (between school and my job ages 15-17 ). It hurts, but esp. when your mom allows it. Again, I know I might be in the minority, but not happening under my roof. Actually, my psuedo step CTBB's "real" SM hated him, that's why we got him so much, he couldn't go to his real dads. And I hate her to this day for being so cruel to him. He's not perfect but he was a pretty mild mannered kid, one time she threatened to bake him in the oven! (witnessed by his 2 sb's). Think about this and the long term ramifications,TD. Try and be objective. He just might not like your kid.

testingdestiny's picture

If he didnt like my kid, he wouldnt care about her grades and how she is doing in school. He wouldnt hug her when her BD lets her down and breaks her heart. He wouldnt bother tucking her in at night or taking her shopping for Christmas. I lived with the idea that he just didnt like her and that is not fair. How am I suppossed to have a family if I am thinking that he is just out to get her? Did you read my expectations post? It hurt him that I thought he would do anything other than what is best for her. I want my kids to think of others before themselves no matter what age they are. My 2 year old SS is able to think of his sister by sharing. My standards for my kids are my standards. Not the worlds standards. I plan on spending the rest of my life with this man, they are our standards!!

Agreed. Often the only reason we as steps resent the kids is because the bioparent is not doing their part. Sometimes biopaeents think we're out to get them.

For example, I had a huge fight with SO over birthday presents (and presents in general) because he wanted to send presents even though BM was throwing them away. I came up with an alternate solution of putting money in the bank for SS and when he comes to visit, we take him shopping with it. I got accused of not wanting to give the kid presents and only wanted to do everything at arms length.

I flipped the F out and reamed him a new. I told him that out of all of us (him, his mom, BM, his brother and sister in law) I was the only one who was actually thinking for the ultimate good of the child, that because I wanted him to actually get the presents, I was willing to wait.

Wheras him and his family wanted to send presents because they wanted to 'show how messed up BM is.' Who is such an action benefitting then? The kid doesn't get anything and all you are doing is trying to prove a point. I asked if we were dirt poor, would he waste money on proving a point or would he want the presents to ultimately go to the kid.

Anyway, he apologized and saw how hurt I was he could even suggest such a thing. But it was the first time I put my foot down and he realized I was the only one fighting for the ultimate benefit of SS. thats just one of the battles we've had to work through and i'm sure other steps have had to worse degrees.

testingdestiny's picture

Thank you! It seems to me like we need to look at ourselves. You can only change yourself. And what is best is not always what is easy. Good for you working that one out.

Personally, putting others before yourself is a lesson to be learned at any age, and the tasks which manifest this lesson should be age appropriate. Things like, when taking turns, allow others to go first, when you eat, you pick what you want only after everyone else has taken their's, you only speak after others have finishes their part etc.

High expectations are not wrong, and neither are they harsh. I grew up with those exact rules as a child (although I never got smiley stickers for them... It was just expected.) and I grew up respectful and gave my parents and the people around me very few things to worry about.

Thinking 'she's too young' will often result in never getting that child ready oe used to these principles. It's not like she's being abused every time she doesn't follow them. Anyway I think those rules are awesome. Remain consistent!

testingdestiny's picture

Thank you! She gets smiley faces to earn the privaledge to watch a movie on Friday night. She is earning something for her hard work. She also gets sad faces if she breaks a rule and it is teaching her that things need to be earned. It is important to me that she knows things in life are not handed to you and that hard work pays off.

Wow! I'm sure if we got to earn more time on tv or movies, we would have done our chores far more happily. LOL thanks for this idea! I will probably use it when I have bios.

ctnmom's picture

I never said "she's too young". I said it's a teachable moment at any age and for it to be a rule is harsh for her age. I stand by that. If you knew me in real life you would laugh because I am a tradtional eastern european Catholic Mom with high expectations of my kids and how they treat others. TD, you said "I lived with the idea that he just didn't like her and that is not fair". To who? Him? What gave you that idea? Did your maternal instinct kick in and then you talked yourself out of it?

testingdestiny's picture

It was not fair to him for me to hold resentments against him in a way that made it unworkable. It wasnt fair for me to trust him to do what was best for me and not for her. He doesnt have to step up and do anything for her and he is doing it all and I was too controlling to trust him.

testingdestiny's picture

I felt bad for her, became defensive of her, and dismissed alot of it because I couldn't see things from the other POV. >>>> this is exactly it!!!!

ctnmom's picture

Mazzy, I certainly respect your point of view, but laying it out like that is not going to change my mind. I've been on both sides of the step situation, and as a SD I can tell you I smell a rat with this posters situation. Sad

ctnmom's picture

Yes, please read them because my opinion is this guy has issues with a normal 4 year old and this poster is trying to talk herself out of that fact because she wants to be w/ this guy so bad. Maybe I'm menopausal today, and I'm not saying there weren't days when I wanted to throttle psuedo step CTBB, but as moms I feel if we don't put our kids first who will? And I realize my own issues w/ MY SF might be coloring this too.

testingdestiny's picture

I realized that it doesnt matter who brings these issues to light, they are issues and behaviors that I dont want my DD to have. I am on both sides of the step issue as well. I have a 2 year old SS, but I am not worrying about any of the SS issues at the moment because it is my job to make sure my child grows up to be well adjusted and a good person. It will be much easier to address any SS issues with DH if I have my own issues under control. Plus, I am not trying to be a hypocrite and attack him when I dont have it all figured out myself. Who knows how much better the SS will be when the older DD decides to make the right choices? Why am I a rat? Because I decided to take responsibility for my part in all this? Because I believe in the general goodness of my DH? I dont understand how wanting the best for my DD means I am a rat.... What is best is not always about making her happy. Sometimes its about making sure she is a good person. I will not tolerate her telling us, not just him, lies. I will not tolerate her knocking her step-bro down and not caring that she hurt him. I will not tolerate her taking a toy from a 1 year old baby because the baby's mom told the baby to give it to her (she is not that baby's mom). I will not tolerate my DD running around Walmart running into people and having her 2 year old Step-bro follow her. She needs to learn it is not polite in inerrupt when people are talking. That is manners and rude. Please explain to me which of these behaviors I am supposed to let my DD grow up without learning? She is not going to grow up being ignorant and rude to people. I am not setting her up to fail in life.

my.kids.mom's picture

I don't think anyone is saying you shouldn't parent your daughter appropriately, but it does seem like the stepdad has already gotten angry because she isn't ALREADY performing to his expectations and his expectations may not be age appropriate. It is normal for a 4 yr old to WANT to run through Walmart. It is normal for a parent to KEEP a 4 yr old from running through Walmart. Thinking there is something wrong with a child wanting to run through Walmart is an issue, and I think that is the kind of thing you are dealing with. Him acting like there is something wrong with what you are doing or with what she wants even though her behavior is normal...is a problem. In other words, it's NOT your fault she may want to run through Walmart. It's because she's FOUR! Apply that to anything...just an example. I don't shop at Walmart LOL

"She needs to learn it is not polite in inerrupt when people are talking. That is manners and rude. Please explain to me which of these behaviors I am supposed to let my DD grow up without learning? She is not going to grow up being ignorant and rude to people. I am not setting her up to fail in life."

Here is another example. Yes, she does need to learn this. At what age are you expecting her to get that down? Because expecting a 4 year old to not interrupt is setting you both up for failure. It is a PROCESS. It is going to take time. Telling her twice, 5, ten times, isn't going to be enough. And if your dh doesn't get immediate results, what will happen? Children are BORN self-centered and selfish. It is our job to teach them otherwise. It seems as if your dh believes the opposite, as if you have done something to create these "problems."

Mark my words, when dh starts having problems with his son as he gets older, he will blame them on the bm since she has him more. He doesn't have the answers, but he will know who to blame, and it won't be HIS fault...you will REALLY have fun then (yes, that's sarcasm)

testingdestiny's picture

Understood that it is normal. What is not normal is me making excuses and getting defensive instead of trying to teach her the right way. He is not angry with her. He was mad at me. The frustration is that he believes she can learn these things and I was too worried about her being happy. He was angry with her when she hurt her brother and just kept playing. Then did it again a few hours later. There are some behaviors that are unacceptable.

ctnmom's picture

I just got back on my computer and almost plotzed. TD, I never, NEVER called you a rat. I said "I smell a rat." Very different. Now to your new posts. All of the behaviours you described ARE unacceptable, I would certainly discipline any of my kids if they did these things. But read your post again that starts out "I realize"- it seems like you want her to be perfect! Like you are dissecting her every little mistake! AS A 4 YR OLD. Who knows, you might ride her until you get the perfect kid. But what will you do when your SS has bad behaviour and SO lets it ride, while you on the other hand created the perfect Stepford kid for him? I'm really not trying to make you mad, just trying to give you food for thought as a SD myself.

testingdestiny's picture

I am not mad. I welcome all points of view. And I am not creating a perfect step kid for him... I am creating a decent person for my daughter. So she can succeed in life. If he doesnt do the same for his son than what harm did it do my daughter? she will still have the fundamentals of a good person. I dont expect her to be perfect, but I do expect discipline and awareness from myself. I expect she will not be perfect, but I also will not give up and just let her continue with behaviors that will hurt her in life. I believe in her. I know she can do this!!!

ctnmom's picture

Well when you put it that way I can't help but agree. I too love it when my kids live up to thier potential. Just know ,that like all of us, she will occassionaly stumble and make mistakes. Your SO also needs to be reminded of this too.

testingdestiny's picture

He believes in her as much as I do and that is why it hurt him so bad that I didnt trust him to do what is best for my DD. He is a good hearted man who wants this to work out just as much as I do. We both want this. Not just him. We know that she is a bright girl who can do anything when given the right guidance.

testingdestiny's picture

I cant live my life with "what ifs." What if he raises his son with the same standards and I lived with the assumption that he wasnt going to? I will take it a day at a time and see what happens. Who knows if we are even going to live that long or what other dynamics are going to change. Plus each kid is different so we will handle it when it is his turn. Right now, I have to do what is best for my DD. She needs to be raised right reguardless of what might happen with her step-bro.