You are here

Hard Subject

MommaBlueJ's picture

Ok, I need some advice/tips/venting spot cuz I am truly heartbroken tight now. My fiancee and i's sons first birthday is arriving soon, mid June and I like to plan things way in advsnce, just so i can get a good headstart. Now my fiancee gets his daughter two weeks in June, one of those times will fall when our son's birthday will take place, which i had hoped for. The only problem is that when i brought up to my fiancee what i was thinking for the theme....his FIRST question was whether his daughter would be there. I was focusing on our son and HIS BIG DAY and all he cared about was if his daughter was going to be there. I got an extreme feeling of hurt and shock. Am I being unreasonable to just want him for once to maybe focus on the child we are talking about? I mean I had already double checked the calendar to make sure she would be able to be a part of it, but my fiancee's remark made it seem like she was the focus. I'm sorry but OUR son should have both parents focusing on tg his one important date for him. As a true FTM I'm just saddened at his response.  Thank you in advance for all tips, advice and ed ven criticism from tg hose who beli ed ve I hate my soon to be strong daughter.

tog redux's picture

First off, engaged men are FIANCE, engaged women are FIANCEE.  Sorry to be Ms. Grammar Nazi.

Secondly - I get being annoyed, but the extreme nature of your reaction seems really, really out of proportion. It's his FIRST birthday, not his medical school graduation.  He won't even care about anything except the boxes his gifts come in and screaming miserably because he needs a nap and he's stressed out by all the people and gifts.

DH has two children, and it will take time to settle around that for him. You may not care about SD as much as he does, but for him, this is a question of whether his first child will feel left out and he'll need to sort that out.

MommaBlueJ's picture

I understand that, but he should know, from past FCC et tog ed theres that I have made certain she be a part if, that he shouldnt even have to ask. I did answer his questions with 'of course will be there'and he kept making it about her on like 'oh well you know I'm going to be focusing on her that day right?' That's what made me ask this forum my question 

tog redux's picture

Well, did you have a conversation with him about why? Does he feel guilty that he had another child? Lots and lots (too many) parents give all kids a gift on one kid's birthday so no one feels "left out".  Is he afraid she will feel he loves the other one more?

Monkeysee's picture

Giving a child a gift on their siblings birthday breeds a culture of ‘it’s not fair’. I’m speaking from first hand knowledge because I’ve seen this in my SS’s. I had to break him of the habit of keeping things ‘fair’ on my SS’s birthdays because they started whining any time one of them got something when the other one didn’t. 

I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to put up with that crap. Regardless of age, a persons birthday is the one day a year that’s about them. Making OP’s sons birthday about SD won’t make it ‘fair’, it’ll teach her that she doesn’t need to consider anyone else on their day.

Im not saying she shouldn’t be there or be ignored at the party, but she does need to take a backseat. It doesn’t matter if the baby is only 1 & the party is for the parents. Every other day of the year where both kids are together can be about the both of them, save for SD’s birthday which should be about SD. Kids need to be taught to celebrate for other people & they don’t always get gifts because someone else is getting one. 

SteppedOut's picture

Why would he be focusing on sd when it is your shared child's birthday? I agree with tog, you should ask him directly why.

And, I get it, my formerSO and inlaws used to be the same way and it really bothered me. Like, if it had something to do with my son, everyone had to be important so the poor poor CODs didn't feel left out. But if it was something for them.... it would be SO OVER THE TOP about ONLY THEM. If it needed to be fair, fine. But it should be "fair" for everyone, not just the "blessed first family" leaving other's as 2nd class. 

STaround's picture

I think a first birthday party with no other kids will have more adult foods, Ones with toddlers may have different planning.  

Let it go.  

MollyBrown's picture

I read your other post.  I think you need to take some breaths and slow down.   Looking for pain in the littlest actions will only hurt you and your relationship.  

MommaBlueJ's picture

How is a first birthday a littlest action? And by the way, I have put up with her almost suffocating my son because he was crying....due to teething, so yeah almost killing my child is NOT a littlest action!

SecondNoMore's picture

That seems extreme. I know it’s a moot point, but I don’t understand why someone who would react like this would choose to be part of a blended family. I also think that your love for your child has made your response disproportionate to the actual offense; so it should be easy for you to understand how his love for his other child makes him want to make sure that she’s included. Imagine if someone leaves your kid out of something once he’s old enough to understand. (To be clear I understand that you weren’t going to leave out SD, just that DH wanted to make sure she wouldn’t be.) Just think about how your love your child, and understand he feels that way about SD.

At this point you want to build a happy life with this guy, so you’re going to need to come to terms with the fact that while your focus is solely on one child, he has to balance two. I’m sure there are going to be bigger challenges ahead with shared resources/attention, so you’ll need to learn to let the little stuff go to make things work. Of course, there may be other situations where he is in the wrong, I just don’t think this is one of them.

sunshinex's picture

Both kids should be focused on and paid attention to because they're KIDS, regardless of the day. But both parents need to emphasize that it's ONE particular kid's "special day" and it's about them. That doesn't mean ignoring or not included the older sibling, it just means older sibling should be reminded ahead of time that it's XYZ's birthday and they will be getting lots of attention, presents, etc. and there should be no jealous outbursts. It's the same regardless of whose birthday it is. It's the same on her birthday, right?

But you need to understand that these are BOTH of his children and it should be celebrated as a FAMILY event. SD should be included in the celebration of your little one. I get the feeling that SD makes everything about herself and DH goes along with it? If so, sit down and explain to her yourself that this is her brother's birthday and you're happy to celebrate as a family but you expect her to let the day be about him - just like her birthday is about her. 

My SD used to have jealous outburts, ask "why don't I get that?" when I bought BS things, etc. but eventually, before his "half birthday" (Yes, I celebrated his 6 months as a half-birthday - I made a cake and everything!) I sat her down and said enough is enough. You are part of this family and you are expected to act like it. No more outburts, no more attention hogging, none of it is acceptable anymore. Your brother can and will be the center of attention sometimes. Your brother can and will get toys/things you don't get. You are no longer allowed to throw fits or act up. You will be sent to your room when you do. 

I also explained to her that there will be plenty of times in life where SHE will be the center of attention and SHE will get things he doesn't get. This is the way it works in families. Unfortunately, the young baby/toddler years are filled with this simply because they are learning, growing, becoming little humans and there's a lot of little celebrations/new age-appropriate purchases that come along with that. I explained that one day, she will reach an age where there's lots of little celebrations/new age-appropriate purchases too. This happens a lot from middle-school onwards - graduating, first day of highschool, first time driving, etc. 

We all have phases in our lives where there is a lot of change and the family needs to experience and celebrate that change together. She needs to understand that she also had a first birthday, her first steps, her first time sitting on the potty, etc. and they were enjoyed and celebrated by everyone around her too. After I explained all this to my 7-year old stepdaughter, she really came around and started acting like part of the family. In fact, I'd say she started truly loving her brother and feeling more included. 

Thumper's picture

Would you feel differently if this was your second child with your boyfriend? What would you do then, hide child number 1 somewhere so you can just have a party for child number 2?

Here is an idea...get two cakes. Celebrate with your boyfriend, you and baby just the 3 of you first??? Is that possible?

THEN pull out cake number two and have a party?

That what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Jcksjj's picture

We just had my YDS 1st birthday and I was fully prepared for the event to somehow be made to be about SD because of how family members have acted in the past so I get where you are coming from. 

DH also used to insist that any event be planned around when SD is there but he has backed off since then. I think some of it is that he is afraid of being judged if she isnt there. But the reality is that she is going to be gone for alot of events because she lives half her life outside of our household. My parents also overcompensate because they dont want to be seen as the evil step stereotype. Its really annoying. Theres a difference between being inclusive and making everyone revolve their lives around one family member.