You are here

8 Year Old with Princess Complex

not_your_m0m's picture

I'm new and uncertain of if a similar issue has been covered.
I married a guy who has a daughter 1.5 years older than my daughter. My husband and I now have 2 new babies (4 girls in total).
The issue is this: his daughter has the "Princess Complex" and it has been fostered fot at least the first 6 years of this girls life- which would be fine except this is not 1) what I tolerate or 2) how I choose to raise my kids.the BM is living through their kid, and my husband tries to compensate to their daughter for the failed marriage. He's in denial of a lot of her mis-deeds and often takes up for her when I confront him about her. She's bossy towards my kid (as she's 8 going on 42), has been groomed to be an adult because the BM didn't have time to raise a child, and I have decided to disassociate myself from her while she's with us visiting. My husband makes me feel like I can't say anything to her because when I do, "its just a correction".
To be fair, there is background info regarding his divorce and how he came to become co-dependant with his kid...but my concern is that he won't care for our 2 kids nearly as strongly because we're in a mostly-funtional marriage.
And with that to start, I absolutely cannot tolerate his kid.
I do appreciate opinions outside of my own for learning purposes, does anyone have any opinions on this "watered-down" vent?

I'm so glad I found this site accidently!
Thx.

livinthedream's picture

We all know who the queen is & thats you. The queen is the one who has the final say so,right. Back to reality...its ok for you to put sd in her place & not let her get away with stuff. I understand how it is when skids are put in power because they have had to pacify their disasterous parents who went through a nasty divorce & inflicted their codependency on their kids as a result. Standing your ground with her will do you alot of good in the long run,but its difficult in the short term to have to give her tough love & let her know where her boundaries are with you.