You are here

For those who have been following me on here.

Igiveupsotornupinside's picture

god damn inlaws! I know they just have to step in and ruin things. Just as I was getting better with the disengagement from SD19 and moving along, of course what was I to think, life was going smoothly so I should have known bad luck would hit.

so in laws after saying all those nasty things about my lovely DH and are throwing a baby shower for SD19 must have talked to SD19 because SD19 just sent me a text message:

"Hey this is SD19 this is my number I would like it if you would come to my baby shower on Sunday I'm sure you have heard about it and I really wanna see the girls I don't know whats been going on with you and aunt (insert name) and them but would like all my family to be there. So if you want to come and if its too short of notice its okay."

Ok, I haven't heard from her in any nice form since June and haven't heard at all from her since August and now I just supposed to take the girls and go to this shower where there is bad blood between the inlaws and myself and haven't seen her in months and just supposed to be ok and happy?! WTF. How about a "Hey I am sorry" Haven't heard one of those in 4 years from her. Then the garbage that the inlaws say about DH. Forget it. Its too late. She kept me out of the pregnancy and only to call me back a month before its too late? I am sure its to hear me say no I cant make it and then for her to yell at me. I sent her a text back and I was pleasant in it on purpose but stated the facts and I am sure I will get yelled at in text form and pushed to the ground again unless of course a miracle has happened and she changes and says hey I am sorry. I am so mad. I just want to get through Christmas without SD involved at all! I just started to like the way things were, working with my therapist and building my life back. I am sure she would not have texted unless they had talked to her and obviously they have filled her in since she mentioned that she doesn't know what is going on with us and the inlaws..bull shit. I am sure they told her all about it. For some reason they want me to turn on DH and run up there and be part of their family. Sorry I am a stand by man person.

Ugh so irritated. Today was good too. I ate healthy, exercised and I was on the way out the door to go for a tan..yes for myself, its cold here and I want to lay in a warm tanning bed! I get the text and boom, I cant drive because I am a mess! Sorry about the miss spellings and the run on sentences I am just upset. Fuck them! Sorry about the language too!

momof5_1969's picture

That was my first thought too, was that she just wants gifts. Don't go. I wouldn't even respond to her.

Amber Miller's picture

That was my first thought as well. She just wants attention and presents. She wants to sit her pregnant ass in the center of a room filled with people swooning over her.

We have already backed out of Christmas on his side of the family due to the rotten things SILs said about DH, I just don't want her coming back into our lives now where I will then feel obligated to invite her to my side of the family. 4 years of hell with her and I cant even get an apology...My guess is its a combination of SIL telling her all about everything and basically letting the drug addict know that she is right about her father along with SD wanting more gifts. She is a user, its going to take a lot more then just an invite to allow me back into her life. I am just pissed. I just want to be left alone. Thinking about dropping my cell phone, I never use it anyways.

True. ya know even though the message was for ONCE not yelling and crude and mean, I am still pissed off. I don't know why I am but I am...maybe its the hell I have been through. Even DH is pissed off at it. Says she wants to see the girls?! Really?! What about apologizing to them. They haven't heard a word from her since June 2nd. Does she just think that everything is hunky dory because she is having a baby? Besides I know she hasn't changed, I stumbled across her facebook (been doing good at not looking at that until I got this message) and it had a picture of her with her druggie friends and I swear she looks stoned as hell...unless she was crying...fucking stoned look on her and she is due with her baby in a month. God I am pissed!

jennaspace's picture

Do you think having a baby may be making her want you in her life more? Since you've been a mom to her, she might be hoping you'll come back in her life with a baby coming near. She's going to be very emotional now with hormones (at least I was) so she might say something crazy.

I totally understand the shower-stress. It felt like every time there was a shower in DHs family it was filled with my "last people on earth I want to sit down with" list. All gathered together in one room. This may be part of what's so stressful about the invite. It's not the venue you two need to reconnect. The shower itself would be stressful enough without all the added issues of SD.

If this is truly a peace offering, and if she is coming off the drugs (I hope by now!), you might want to suggest a different place to meet her.

At her age, this invite may have been her version of an apology. Of course it isn't, but I think it's possible it was an attempt.

Would you be willing to meet her apart from other people? What would you have to see happen first?

jennaspace's picture

I just saw your post about FB (we must have posted around the same time!). If she is still on drugs I would hold back too.

You're angry for good reason. She's childish and myopic enough to not realize how much she has hurt you. You're right to be very careful and feel hurt.

There can't be reconciliation without her acknowledging what she's done to you and the family. That's where she needs to start. If she's willing to enter into these types of conversations (not just acting like everything is normal) and has gotten off the drugs, I think it would be worth pursuing.

I have to add this is a very tender time in her life. You may just want to meet with her alone and see where she is at.

godess-clueless's picture

Since dealing with steps I have learned that there is a difference between being notified that there is an event and actually being invited.
I must confess that I am of the older over 60 generation. IMO when I invite anyone to an event, I pick up the phone and talk to the person I am inviting. I send out the same invitation well in advance to everyone I am inviting.
A text message with a request that you call her for the details of the event THIS SUNDAY? seems rather short notice and only done as an after thought.

I am 36 but I think like the older generation. There has been so much hurt to her father and to our bio daughters by her and it has caused me physical health issues and she is well aware of that. I would think she would call me like you said and first start off with admitting that she is sorry for what she has caused me and I don't know, making up with us and then inviting us rather then a text message. I don't know if you have read many of my posts but I have book marked them if your interested.

I understand that some on here are saying to see her and I know why, there is a baby coming and yes that is a huge hurt for us but we have been through hell and she has never ever had to own up to causing it and seeing my health go down the drain, my daughters who are only 8 and 3 (my actual children who I gave birth to) hurt and especially what it has done to her father my darling DH. I cant just act like nothing happened and just move on because she is having a baby. Her BM has been there, she has her. She has all of her aunts who have no clue the road that DH and I have been on trying to save this girl to the point where it almost cost our marriage, caused emotional distress to my daughters and caused me to not be a proper mother to my OWN children because I devoted so much effort into trying to keep SD19 in our lives. I am done. I cant do it.

yes a actual phone call would have been so much different. In a text, I cant tell if she is clean and sober and if she is sorry. I cant. A text is so fake.

Ugh, thank you for listening.

godess-clueless's picture

I know from my own experience that my DH's girls and his adult gd's are capeable of sending out invitations well in advance to the people they wish to invite. I have seen my DH get nothing more then a last minute call from one of the other family members to mention that a baby shower, marriage, or graduation party is to be held on such and such date. He of course will jump in the car and travel out of state to attend.

Since I am the one they prefer not be there, they know that he will jump at any possibility that they will include him in their life. I see these tactics as a way to really not invite us but to invite him. The half hearted invite of hearing from one of the other relatives that an event will be taking place has never been what I consider invited. But then my DH does jump up for the few scraps they throw him.

emotionaly beat up's picture

Speaking as a mother and grandmother, I say you should've just deleted the text and not responded to it. I say you should not go. How does her having a baby mean that your two daughters need to have a drug addict and her friends back in their lives. How does her having a baby make her wishes to see them more important than what's good for your daughters.

We are not talking about a normal situation here. We are talking about a drug addict. A drug addict that you and your dh have bent over backwards for, a drug addict that you busted a gut trying to help before taking that final step on the road to tough love. She hasn't changed, you know she hasn't, this sudden contact is a good excuse to collect her Christmas present. Stay well away.

I remember the saga over Christmas and the water park and the impact that had on two perfectly innocent little girls. Her wanting you at her baby shower doesn't cancel out what your girls have gone through. She doesn't get special attention and rewarded for being a druggie. It's just too bad what she wants. All that matters now is what you and your dh want, and don't be afraid to tell her and your husbands family that.

Thank you! I know every time you respond your so wise! I needed it. Every word you said. Thank you! I am again mad at myself because my anger (even though I try to hard to hide it) my girls know their mom...they knew tonight something was bothering me and she won again, I responded and I am the idiot.

I really need to stick it in my head that she is not going to change until she wants to and its going to take a long time for her to prove it to us. If she really was changing it sure wouldn't be through a text message 3 days before her shower knowing full well we live out of town. I shouldn't have responded nice back, I really thought she would come back with something mean and nope, she sent nothing, I should have let it be me that sent nothing back. My gut tells me that she just sent that to make herself look good or get presents for both shower and Christmas and I wouldn't be surprised if the in laws set her up to make me feel like this. They don't care, they haven't cared about anything with DH and I. We have medical bills up the ass due to my health issues, they don't care. We did, we bent over back wards for years. I am not giving in to her.

I plan to change my cell number. Its just crazy that I get all the emails, Facebook, and text messages from DH's side of the family and SD but NO ONE goes to him. He wants them to so he took my phone and is not giving it back to me, he gave me his so I have a phone. He said we are swapping them to protect me from it. I haven't been receiving anymore emails and SD doesn't even know my email and well Facebook, they are all blocked. They are all trying to get me to think that something is wrong with DH and not them or SD. This is just totally unbelievable. When will it stop? I so wish I could be free.

Today I was on a good kick...planned to continue therapy, go to church, started to exercise again, eating right and was happy....the only thing I can do is to continue on. DH wants them to contact him, I really wish they would leave us alone and when they do want to talk to go to him...its HIS family. Now to just pray she doesn't show up at my parents door step on our Christmas celebration. If she does I am taking the girls into another room and letting DH handle it. I feel so sorry for him, he has grown cold about her, I have never seen this and never thought the man with the heart he has would ever turn cold like that over one of his children. I know the baby is innocent but she will use it as a pawn. She has learned from her mother how to do that. She already does, she even uses the baby as a pawn to her own mom to get money.

I am letting DH handle it all. He will protect me and the girls, he always has through out this. It is not that he doesn't love her, he just doesn't want the toxicity and he also still has that big heart, he plans to put something in a card through each holiday and birthday that she keeps the grandchild from him so that one day if he is ever part of the babies life in a good way and not as a pawn, he will give it to the child. I know that the grandchild is what hurts him but not enough for him to give in. He has grown more of a set of balls in the last 4 years then I have ever seen in a man. Proud of him. I just need to get me to go with the flow. I think I just answered why they all contact me and not him...because I am the weak link. Its time I toughen up.

Thank you emotionally beat up.

I know, I can't let her in, she has not even began to prove herself. She only wants gifts, its her MO. Yes the child is already used as a pawn. She has been using it as a pawn from the moment she got pregnant and we also know she most likely planned this pregnancy because she is doing great living off the state out of refusal to work and its a great pawn to her mom, dad and I to give her money and anyone else. She has now won over DHs side and they are her next victims. Only they said things that cant be taken back so they lost DH probably forever.

I feel horrible inside for the baby. I really do. This is not what I saw for this girls future back before she met the father of her baby. She was such a good girl and so full of promise and so beautiful inside and out and then the drugs took over. Its sad.

jennaspace's picture

I just perused through some of your bookmarks. I didn't "know" you until a certain point and thus missed some of what SD did. I was looking for the fountain incident. Still didn't find it, but I can see why you don't want sd back in your life.

I saw that your SD had stolen your car 7x's! Also, I reviewed the tremendous hurt and cost (financial, emotional, physical) she has been to you. I think you are right on expecting more than a text. Especially given her past of contacting you before events for gifts.

I have a nephew who is a thief and semi former drug addict. I don't even trust him enough to invite him to Thanksgiving. I'd be wondering what he might take every time he went to the bathroom.

People like this don't deserve our trust. They've taught us that. Drug addicts are generally entitled takers. My sister was and her son is.

Yes, I think you will need to wait to see major changes before you trust her again.

ctnmom's picture

Gosh, I would just ignore the text, after all you've been through. And it's a half assed invite at best- where's the MAILED invitation with the baby elephant/tiger/lion on it? You need to disengage for real, for your health and for your girls, I think. Don't give those toxic people space in your head. You've done WAYYYY more than your share, dear. God bless.

Robyn27's picture

I agree. Just let it slide. Don't give them your power. You know in your heart it's just the same bullshit as always and yes, I want a gift/money. And to try to get into your business too. People never change and if they do, make them prove it before trusting them. Go and enjoy your tan and just let it go!!!

Update: First off thank you for everyone who commented and supported me and gave me advice.

I found out, not that I was snooping it was brought to my attention that this Sunday might turn out to be a laughing matter. See SILs stick their nose where they don't need to and have jumped on my DH about him being a horrible father for giving her some tough love and blah blah blah! Like we never tried to help her or anything, they have no clue because they were not there to offer any help or even show any concern. So anyways talking to my older SD, apparently they want to all have a little discussion with SD19 about how she needs to get away and leave her boyfriend (father of the baby) since he is bad. Ok I am currently laughing while I type this because they have no idea what they are in for because WE, DH and I have already tried this numerous times and now you have a baby in the mix...ummm pretty sure she is not going to listen to them and pretty sure she is going to freak out on them like she did us or anyone else who tried to tell her that her boyfriend is trash. Besides, he may be trash but I have to give him some props, he got himself a job I guess for the last 4 months he has been working and wanting to be part of his babies life and I am all for a father who wants to be part of their child's life. However SIL doesn't see it that way because her daughter had a baby and they were able to chase the Dad out of the picture. Not going to happen with SD19.

Another thing that happened. SD19 responded to me with its ok and told me about the baby and its name and that she has gotten things for it and thanked me because she wouldn't have any idea what she would need to do if it weren't for being able to watch me with both my pregnancies. Said she has been in the nesting stage and older SD verified that she has been really cleaning her place up to make a little home for the baby. Now, I am happy for her BUT I am taking it very slow and very careful. I sent her back just a lol, glad I got to teach you something but I have to go now because I am late to pick up DD8 (I wasn't late, on time actually). I have a feeling she is trying to get back in or she is wanting stuff for Christmas (most likely) but I am not inviting her. I refuse, now if she is still cleaned up and nice next year and has been all year then sure but not this year.

And this part is what I am hoping doesn't come for a while but incase it does I am mentally prepared for this: if she wants to see us to talk things out I am telling her that I don't want to talk things out because I don't want to rehash what she and I already know and she already knows how I feel. I am letting her talk with DH and that is if DH wants to speak to her. This does not mean we let her back in fully, she will not be allowed to just move in or anything (which I don't have to worry, she is out starting her own family, she wont move in here) I also am staying away because I don't want to get sick by rehashing it all to her and listening to her excuses and I know that DH will say just exactly what I would want said and that there would be the test on if she is changed or not, she will either listen to him and take the blame with dignity or she will flip out like usual and if she flips out then goodbye.

Also if and that is a big IF DH lets her back into his life and our lives I know he wont put up with shit to me or our daughters, I will be civil as long as she is civil and only see her when its necessary and I am with DH. I also will never love her like my own daughter again, too much damage has been done, I am now just a SM to her. I wont go and tell her this but she will see the difference through time and that is a big IF too as far as if she will want back into our lives.

I am thinking this is just about the presents though and the holidays and a bit of hormones since the baby is due January 23rd. Its right around the corner.

I must say I do get a chuckle when I picture his overbearing sisters cornering her about her boyfriend...its not going to fly and IF she is changing its not going to fly with her to hear them bash her father either. That part is if she really is changing. Who knows...I don't care, not chasing her, she will have to chase me, my kiddos come first and my DH is on the same line to me as my kiddos so what he says, goes. Smile

Also in about 15 minutes DH and I are switching cell phones Smile Yay. I will have a new phone and if she wants to continue texting well it will be DH that gets them because she cant remember DH's old phone number and besides I am not telling anyone that I have a phone (maybe a few close people to me but that's it). Only having the phone to keep me and my kids safe out on the roads. I am letting everyone else know I know longer have a phone and DH now has it. Smile

That way I wont feel I have to respond...that's something I have to tell my therapist, I always have to have the last word and sometimes the last word is not necessary!!

jennaspace's picture

Might want to let her know through DH that you won't have a phone. She may send new texts and never know you didn't receive them. This would cause unnecessary offence.

Yeah we figured our plan out. Actually since I never use my phone and never really text at all I am going to tell a fib...I think I deserve one fib. I am saying that I broke my phone and since I never use it anyways don't plan to get a new one right away and to just send anything to DHs phone. I like that idea better, don't have to switch anything and if my friends need me or there is an emergency on hand my phone number is still mine. I forgot I put out applications with that phone number and I have it on the emergency forms at school. I don't want to give up mine but she lives far from us and its not like she will see me with a phone because I wont be seeing her for a while..DH is not ready and I am actually relieved that he is still not ready to have a discussion with her. He said he has too much he wants to say if that ever comes up and he is certainly not doing it while she is pregnant and then with her drug history watch the baby go into pre term labor and then he is blamed for causing the stress. I told older SD that my phone broke and that if she could spread the word to family at the shower if they need anything to go through DHs phone and that way all his family and SD19 know my phone is not operational Smile That way if they have anything to say they will know its going to him which will prevent them from saying anything at all because they know with DH they wont affect him as he just lets it roll of his shoulders. Sorry for the huge run on sentence lol. When I am on a mission I just keep typing! Smile

I will just be careful on who I carry my phone around for a while. I don't mind, like I said I never even use it, just have it for safety reasons.

emotionaly beat up's picture

Nope, tell her nothing. All the texts will go to the right person. Her father. Your plan to
Switch phones Is excellent.

Have you ever heard the expression, sometimes less
Is more. Well sometimes silence is the loudest and most effective last
Word. Practice that with her and your SILs.

Your SILs plan for this little intervention has left me gobsmacked for a couple of reasons. One, they would know She sent you that message and she wanted your little girls there, and what. Start This little intervention process in front of your kids. I can't imagine
The damage that could cause your girls. Secondly. Who The hell are they to stage an intervention without her father present. Without his input or opinion.

I never looked at silence being the loudest and most effective last word...I just learned something new Smile

Yes they are plain old NUTS, CRAZY, LOCO, I didn't even look at it that way, IF they did set her up to send the text, they know that I would bring the girls...that would be the LAST thing I would want them to see.

Oh emotionally beat up I have something funny to tell you: DD8 had secret santa at school today and she bought presents for her Dad, Me, SD22, DD3 and she decided to buy for SD19 and I found what she said hilarious. She told me she bought her make up and at first I was like oh, ok (thinking in my head I will stick it on top of the closet until god knows when SD19 grows up and then she said "do you know why I bought her make up?" I said no, why...she said "so maybe she will look at it and say, Hey, maybe I should grow up and make up with my parents" OMG..I looked at her and she was laughing so hard that I started laughing and then so did DD3!

I know right!? DD8 is my jokester though...she comes up with things that will make you go hmmmm. She gets that from DH...a bit of smart ass in that one. Poor DD3 is like me, her heart is too big... her and I need to learn to let our hair down a bit and become smart asses too. Blum 3

I agree. SD and his side of the family do that all the time. They all know that DH will not take any crap. Little do they know with therapy and the strong desire I have to stop the madness for my own children and the strong desire to give my girls a happy childhood with a stable mother....they one day will realize too not to go through me. I am learning how to stand up for myself, how to handle difficult people and how to set boundaries. My kids are finally having fun again in their lives and I wont let anyone screw that up for them. His side of the family has so far already backed off from emailing me..I blocked them on facebook so they cant contact me, I think they stopped because I would not back down on defending my DH. My DH has been there for me through the most horrible time in my life, which was sickness and he has taken care of me for 12 years..I will be doing the same for him. He does not deserve to be accused of and called what they called him. He is a good man. They will see one day what they lost. As far as SD if she truly ever changed and showed us for a period longer then a day...like a year or so, she may be welcomed back because she is his daughter and we don't have to worry about her ever moving in since she is an adult establishing a family with her boyfriend and loves to live on her own. As far as his sisters and the 3 nieces that wont keep their nose out of our business and said those horrible things to him...he says they are banished forever.

Thank you and I am slowly getting there. I have not spoken to her and wont. I have been seeing my therapist more often and its been helping. I hope what I am feeling is true that I am finally moving forward with this. Its been so hard but lately I find it easier. Going to have my first Christmas without his family and with out my SD19. If all goes good without a hitch, this might be the best Christmas I have had in a LONG time. Smile Praying that it goes good.

I am sorry that you have had a similar situation...its not easy, my heart goes out to you.