You are here

Trapped in the bedroom

Orángejello LeTayTay's picture

I'm not looking for solutions because there obviously are none. I read about all the poor folks trapped in their bedroom every other weekend. I'm one of the poor unfortunate souls trapped in my bedroom the OTHER twelve days. Don't even have a bathroom. I use a milk jug. And tonight as our guests arrive, "You aren't joining us? I'm so glad I can depend on you!" Yeah, well if your son didn't act like he was in a barn! I've taken my fourth anxiety pill and I can't manage to make it to the bathroom to get ready, heaven forbid stay downstairs and enjoy friends!

lieutenant_dad's picture

You're the adult. Presumably, you're paying a good chunk of the expenses on the home. Take your home back!

witch.hazel's picture

It is obvious that your mental health is being seriously damaged by staying in this situation. You are peeing in a milk jug to avoid leaving the bedroom and taking so many anti-anxiety pills that you cannot get up and do things.

Where can you go from there if you do not leave? I'm worried for you.

I will survive the SD from HELL's picture

As a fellow bedroom dweller, please get some outside help! I myself choose to be in my bedroom to avoid the sd15 and her constant trashing of my house, and eh choosing not to do anything about it! But I also have a bathroom and mini fridge. You need your base needs met. This IMO, is doing you more harm and zero peace and nothing about it is getting your sanity back!

I will survive the SD from HELL's picture

I can't seem to stop thinking about you and your situation. Probably because it looks similar to mine.(bedroom dwelling) Please let us know how you're doing! Disengagement is to give you your freedom and sanity back that the skids have sucked dry, not to turn you into a self induced prisoner in your own home.

SugarSpice's picture

you are the king or queen of your own house. start acting like it.

i used to be like you and tip toe around the skids when they were staying with us. i stayed in the bedroom afraid to disturb their royal highnesses. this did not last long.

eventually i owned the authority i had in my own home. i did not cater to the skids schedules (who were sleeping in thanks to being hung over), and i got up when i wanted to. i did chores on my own schedule. the skids expected me to be silent until noon while they sobered up.

bm even told dh how i should set up my house for the comfort of her children. i laughed and did not even dignify her comment.

Kes's picture

I endured years of being trapped in the bedroom EOW - it's no way to live - just about OK but not very, if its only once per fortnight. If it's most of the time, then IMO it's time to act to end this, as it's no way to live.

notarealmom's picture

If it's that bad that you're using a milk jug to go to the bathroom, changes need to happen and fast. How old are your steps?

Does your husband support you? My guess is no, since you're in your room peeing in a jug.

hereiam's picture

It would be a very cold day in hell before I would be trapped in my bedroom, peeing in a milk jug, due to a step kid.

Seriously, WTF?

And, there are solutions. Take your home back, for one. You are choosing to stay in your bedroom.

You need to do something, if this is affecting your mental health this bad.

sammigirl's picture

OMGosh, don't do this to yourself. Only you can correct this.

I don't want to sound harsh; buy you are doing this to yourself. Take control of your life. Flush that house out!

Taking control of your own life is very difficult. Once you set your boundaries and stick to them, they will either like it or leave.

Think of it like saying "no" for the first time; it gets easier each time. Do this! Don't lock yourself up anywhere.

I took the opportunity, at a family meal, one morning, (37 years ago) to set it all straight. I didn't raise my voice and I didn't tell DH ahead of time, I just did it. Little did I know, it was the beginning of hell for me. Things got rougher, but now it is peaceful and much easier. It never stops with skids, but you can level this out to your benefit.

You have to protect yourself at whatever the results will be.

Stay here for support, vent here, and keep us posted.

((((hugs))))

skatermom's picture

I do this occasionally when just the skidmarks are there and I can't look at them any more (not the milk jug part). The best thing I ever did was buy a house with a master bedroom and attached bathroom, it's a MUST for a "blended" family!! Please start looking for another place where you can be comfortable

hereiam's picture

Please start looking for another place where you can be comfortable

That's just it, as an adult and homeowner, I am comfortable in any area of the house where I choose to be.

And that's how it should be for all of us.

ESMOD's picture

Look, I am all for the option of being able to retreat to a sanctuary like a bedroom when overwhelmed. But, taking it to the extreme point of not leaving to go to the bathroom and popping anxiety pills. That your husband would allow you to isolate yourself so drastically and not try to have compromises in your home speaks pretty poorly of him.

I mean, I get it, I'm a bit of an introvert and being around a lot of people and especially people I don't like is hard. If it is my CHOICE to go have a quiet time in my room and read, then I shouldn't be given any flack for it. But if your husband is allowing the children to make the balance of the home uninhabitable for you... so your isolation is practically not a choice. that's bad.

You need to work with a therapist to learn how to assert yourself in your own home. You should be able to go to the living room and say.. "adult swim" all kids go to your rooms to hang out. Or.. out of the kitchen, I'm cooking etc... Perhaps one of the solutions would to be let the kids have a TV or their video games in their room? When they try to camp in the living room.. redirect them to their own well appointed hangouts.

Beyond that.. whatever the kid is doing wrong.. address it with either the child, or your husband. If he won't back you up with the kid, HE can clean the bathroom floor misses or whatever else the kid is doing.

Again, I am an absolute proponent of a step parent being able to disengage and go off to have some alone time in their room. But I wouldn't term it so much hiding as recharging. Your situation seems rather extreme.

I just wanted to vent because I can relate with what many of you are going through. Funny, many of you assumed I was a woman. I am a man, and I hope that doesn't change your perception of me. People are people.

It's not that easy to just move out bite is that easy to just take the home back. We both have weird degrees and are stuck in a town that doesn't work for us. There is nowhere to go for free time. No money to do it with.

It isn't black and white. It isn't that I have some horrible wife. It is more complicated. We are polar opposites when it comes to parenting styles. It is so much better than it used to be. But it is to the point that I'm beaten down. I simply don't condone hardly any of his (11) behavior on any given day. He is clingy, needy, too loud, stomps around, and I just can't look at him sometimes.

It is to the point that I can no longer tell the difference whether the problem is him or me. And with my wife, save for this one thing, we have a great relationship. Lots of friends, communication, sex, more communication. More than I've ever had. Six years ago I was told the newness would wear off. It hasn't. It keeps getting better. Honestly, and it will never happen, I just wish he would go live with his dad. I mean Jesus Christ, that is the entire reason wet sacrificed our lives and ruined our careers. Only for every other weekend?

Thanks for listening.

hereiam's picture

Man or woman, doesn't matter, you should not feel bullied into staying in your bedroom. You are going to have to show your step son who's boss. Don't let HIM run around the house like it is HIS domain.

Hiding out in the bedroom is just giving him more power. Take your power back.

Cooooookies's picture

Peeing in a cup stuck in a room is where I would draw the line. I wouldn't even care if I lived a cardboard box. You are NOT living. Go. Anywhere. Why would you even do that?! You always have a choice. At this point, any choice is better than pi$$ing in your own bedroom to avoid humans while being amped up on meds.

Really. Anything.

WTF...REALLY's picture

Seriously, be grateful that it’s only every other weekend. I live with a stepkid I can’t stand full-time.....been doing it for eight years.

Every other weekend sounds like heaven to me

Thumper's picture

If you can find a bus station or train station...pack a bag, two or three and go to your family for the holidays.

It is disgusting and frankly gross that you wrote you use a gallon jug since you don't HAVE a bathroom. are you saying you do not have indoor OR outdoor plumbing?

Where does the child bathe and go to the bathroom. You do realize not having plumbing is a real issue when a child is present.,,,correct?

Cooooookies's picture

They have indoor plumbing...he's so miserable he has taken to hiding in a bedroom and peeing in a bottle to avoid skid.

advice.only2's picture

Just curious does your spouse appreciate that you pee in a jug and then what??? Do you cart it out to the bathroom once your SS is gone? What about needing to have a number 2? Do you put some paper down on the floor like you would for an animal?

If your spouse was doing these things would you respect her more or less? Would you want to be intimate with her considering you knew she was squatting in the corner peeing in a bucket just so she could avoid your kid? I mean seriously? Does your room reek of urine and feces because you have such "anxiety" of seeing even a mere glimpse of your SS to use the restroom?

I think this might just be a unicorn.

Amazing. Some people thought I was some poor wife with some crappy step kid stuff. But now that I'm a man, well that's different. Many people here are in a totally crappy situation and holidays no doubt make it worse. Like many people, the solutions aren't too simple as there are many complex issues where everything simply isn't black and white. But I'm just disgusting. I don't count.

hereiam's picture

I don't think anyone's opinion changed because you are a man. Even when people might have thought you were female, the advice was the same - take back your home and do what you need to do for YOU.

Peeing into a milk jug because you won't leave your bedroom, IS disgusting, whether you are a man or a woman. And man or woman, you are the adult and should take back your power and your home.

skatermom's picture

If I had the right plumbing, I would of peed in a jug once or twice, totally understand you bro

And, I'm not bullied. I'm more than welcome and free to go anywhere in my house that I want to go. However, the step sins behavior coupled with a ridiculous living situation has gone on for so long that I can't stand to be around him poor even have to look at him.

It's hard to give praise over some little victory when a hundred other things every single day are just wrong. I didn't raise my daughter to be like that and I don't condone the behavior. Even when he is doing nothing wrong, he is dOing something wrong. He simply doesn't know how to act in a house. And I'm not going to be around it implying that I'm okay with it. I'm not. I eat when I know he is asleep. And now that school is out, I try to stay up all night so that I can spend as many of his waking hours asleep.

It's gone on too long for too many years. This is beyond mere disengagement. I simply wish he didn't live here. I can't be myself as long as he is in the same house.

I tried to prevent this from happening years ago at the beginning. Now I just don't care. I simply want him to stay in his room, keep the door closed, and shut up. No stomping up and down stairs. No constant making stupid noises. No spending all his free time centered on the steps so that he is annoying no matter where you go and there is no getting away. No habitually shouting, "Mom!" Everytime he hears a noise (like me trying to sneak to a kitchen or to the bathroom. No asking his mom to do simple basic baby things for him. Learn how to use a fork. Close your mouth wHen eating. Stop finding ways to somehow get BEHIND me with unpredictable jumpy twirky noises and movements. Stop talKing an hour to go to bed. Stop coming back downstairs an hour later while I'm trying to enjoy friends that already want to go home. Just stop all of it. Disengagement is a serious understatement.

ESMOD's picture

It's hard to give praise over some little victory when a hundred other things every single day are just wrong.

Look, you have to start somewhere with kids. My SD's were a bit feral when I met my DH but over time and a lot of working on things by both my DH and myself, things improved.

If your DW/SO won't back you up on reasonable corrections and behavior improvement then you don't have a Skid situation, you have a spouse situation. And, it's no more fair to expect a child to stay locked in their room as it is for YOU to do that to yourself. It's everyone's home. He is a kid... they aren't born with manners. Some kids (and people) are just more annoying than others.

Maybe, just maybe if you try to have a bit of empathy for HIS situation.. parents didn't teach him.. he lives with a guy that hates him etc.. how would you feel in that situation?

You need to start with your wife on coming to agreement with acceptable standards of behavior. Kid behaves... he gets to be "in public".. kid refuses.. he can be annoying all by himself in his room. I am guessing you are just at the end of your rope.... But, trying to not care so much about the kid might help.

And thanks everyone for listening. And I apologize for playing the stupid man card. Life is hard for many of us. Peace.

And yes I know it is disgusting. You are talking to a man that washes his hands a hundred times a day and spends more time getting ready than his wife. I don't want someone misunderstanding and thinking I enjoy the milk jug. It just gets that bad sometimes. And I am far beyond the point of knowing how much is the step son and how much is me.

I need therapy. I start seeing someone in the middle of January. And I really DON'T want him to just go away. But my wife and I are polar opposites with discipline. She suffers too. So at least it isn't totally me versus them. I had it too easy with my own child. She's an adult now and we have a great relationship. Since she was young, I was clear and consistent. But with my step son, I don't know how to just jump in the middle when everything is wrong.

ESMOD's picture

Maybe something that could help is picking your battles with him. No, you can't come in half way and fix every issue overnight. In fact, some of what you are dealing with may just be differences in your personalities. Not everyone "likes" everyone and not everyone has to but people should treat each other with RESPECT if they live in the same house.

So, what are your non-negotiables? Is it that he chew with his mouth closed? Is it that he doesn't sneak up behind you? Is it that he gives you your own personal space. Like when you come home from work he gives you some peace for an hour so you can decompress. Is it being willing to ask him to play quietly in his room or read or watch his TV when you have guests over?

Can you enlist his mother in trying to work harder on the non-negotiables?

What can you try to live with and work on over time? What qualities does he have that you can try to see the good in him? (other than he does leave sometimes lol).

I know it seems pointless to praise the small victories, but if you were only getting negative feedback, even when you tried a little bit, why bother trying at all?

Hopefully your therapist can help you figure out a way to have peace in your home.

Ispofacto's picture

OP, we are in the same boat, I completely understand. I began hiding six months ago, tho I do have a master bathroom. I arranged my work hours so I am asleep most of the time when Killjoy is home and awake, but that means I also almost never see my DH. And I have to hide most of the day on alternate weekends. I'm working on ways to get out of the house those weekends, which means I see my DH even less. I dread school holidays.

I want to banish Killjoy from our home, but sending her back to her mother is not an option. I am an introvert. Killjoy has always been belligerent with me, but she really traumatized me when she sexually abused my GD and lied about it, then got caught stealing repeatedly from me and MIL, she invaded every corner of my bedroom in doing her thieving, she never wanted to have anything to do with me but she wanted to go through my things. She lies with no compunction. At first, DH accused ME of lying, in front of her. When all the sh!t when down she was completely shameless, still very much in my face, still very entitled. A switch flipped, and after 8 years of taking her abuse, now I just f*cking hate her. I can't stand the sight of her, the sound of her, the smell of her, the idea of her. There is no turning back from here. DH is now finally working to correct her behavior but it is too late. She is who she is, and she is gross. She disgusts me. It is her attitude. He says she is better but from what little I have seen, that glint of ugly malevolence is still there. She's done this so many times before, and as soon as she could get away with it, she has always reverted to her usual bad behavior. She gives me the creeps.

I have a good friend who works for the DOC. He has his degree in criminal justice and abnormal psych. He says personality is SET by age 7.

I know what happened to you but I don't know how to fix it. Killjoy is 13.5, so I have 4.5 years till she is finished with highschool, which is an eternity, and even then I don't know what is going to happen, community college or away to university, and then home for visits or not. I vacillate between thinking DH is worth waiting for, and thinking he's not. I told him if Killjoy or BM do one more thing, I don't know what will happen, I almost feel like doing something drastic. Then I feel like I shouldn't be in a relationship that causes me to fantasize, however briefly, about standing in front of a moving train or going on a killing spree. DH did put Killjoy on notice that if she does one more awful thing, he will banish her from our house forever, so now he thinks she won't do anything. I don't think she can help herself, she has a compulsive need to invade others' boundaries, like a freaking serial killer. Just like BM.

DH says he understands how I feel, but yet he wants us to have a happy family Christmas together. I don't want to watch the revolted, enraged look on Killjoy's face when she opens any gift she didn't specifically ask for, to her exact specifications. She can't hide who she is from me, and I get along with everyone else, so I know the problem isn't with me, except maybe I waited too long to disengage. MIL and SIL have seen it too, which helps.

OP, it isn't you. You have a long wait ahead of you, and if I were you, I'd take my credentials and get out of Dodge.

Cooooookies's picture

Why are you waiting, Ispo?

Me, I just think that ruining a wonderful marriage to a great man over a brat isn't worth it. That's why I stay. Like you, though, I avoid SS15 as much as I can without it looking too obvious. I get ready in the morning so that I either leave before SS gets up or I'm upstairs when he's downstairs, etc. If I'm on second shift I wait until he leaves for school and then get out of bed.

On the other hand, SS isn't a lost cause. He's a kid who has special needs. He has a bio "mom" who'd rather spread her legs hoping to catch Husband Big Bucks than spend more than 5 minutes per week being any sort of parental anything. Because of that very fact, my DH is riddled with guilt and rather play It's A Precious Snowflake After All in Disneyland Dad than to be a proper parent.

It's not SS fault. It's not my fault, either. The problem is I am a rational adult who realizes that SS is a KID who got dealt a sh*tty mom and a dad who means well but is lost. So I can't quite turn away completely.

HOWEVER if I never saw the skid again I wouldn't shed a tear. He's weird and he's gross. He is like a 3 year old in a teenage body. He is, at this moment, pooing himself again. All he wants to do is be up in his room playing video games and yelling at his online friends about what a M'er F'er they are for not playing exactly the right way.

He'll ask you what your favourite wild animal is or what your favourite country is or what or what your third favourite city is and why. Can't hold a conversation and any he does start is only about what he likes and is interested in. Meanwhile his egg donor lives like as single, childless slag whose knees haven't seen each other in a decade.

So it's really really REALLLLLLLYYYYYYYYY hard to bond with a pants sh*tting teenaged toddler who hides up in his room all day screaming at people he's never met, whilst Mommy Dearest is in another country doing whatever the heck she wants.

Our DH's have no flipping clue what it's like to deal with their baggage. I told DH last night I am resentful. Here I am dealing with SS and all of his issues and where the hell is she? Doing whatever and whomever she wants. I shouldn't have to be this substitute because SS has a crappy "mother". SHE should be dealing with this crap. I am NOT his mother!

DH gave me a big cuddle because he could see that I had reached my limit. But do the really really know? They couldn't possibly begin to understand this crap.

Ispofacto's picture

Thanks, Cooooookies. I don't know how much longer I will last. The loneliness and boredom are wearing me down. At least I am better off than the OP: Killjoy is older, I have friends and family near, and we are well off financially. If things were any worse, I'd be gone. I may leave in any case.

Speaking of fault, reminding myself Killjoy was not responsible for having a horrible mother is what has kept me here too long. But adults are responsible for their actions, and that responsibility didn't happen overnight the moment they became adults. People are 0% responsible for their behavior when they are 1 day old, and it goes up gradually from there. At 12-13, brain development allows humans to understand the affect their behavior is having on others. They begin to understand abstract concepts, like motive, a bit more. At this age, Killjoy should have figured out what a toxic POS her mother is, it is glaringly obvious to everyone. Killjoy acts out BM's hostility towards me in my home. And it was all so hilarious until the gravy train stopped. Killjoy is 13.5, and I feel she is at least 70% responsible for her own behavior. So f*ck her. At this point, I don't care why she behaves the way she does. BM is mentally ill, if you can even call sociopathy a mental illness, and BM is still 100% responsible for her behavior, IMO, I don't give a rat's arse about her past life either.

Almost no one has an ideal childhood. There are plenty of people with toxic parents, myself included, who choose not to victimize others.

DH is a nice guy who takes great joy in being kind to others. This situation sucks for him. I told him I wanted to opt out of Christmas this year, and told him why, and he asked me how I can still be angry. This isn't anger, this is hatred. He doesn't seem to believe me. I wonder how he would react if he ever figured it out. This is a permanent condition.

You are right, the BPs have no idea what our experience is. And for that reason, even if they say they want to fix things, I don't think they can even begin to try.