You are here

Patrick Mahomes, II’s “family”

SMto2's picture

The things you notice as a SM. lol. First, I am NOT a football fan. I watch the Super Bowl for the commercials. Lol. Along with everyone not living under a rock the past decade, I was aware of Tom Brady, but hadn't heard much about the other QB, Patrick Mahomes, II. Googling him, you see tons of images with his mom, dad, and 2 siblings, a male and female looking like a sweet, happy family. Or, you see pics of Mahomes and his girlfriend with the same male & female siblings. Then you start reading about them and learn the parents are divorced but amicable (cool). However, then you learn although the brother depicted in all the photos is a full brother, the younger girl is BM's child with another man. Apparently, dad also has two other daughters and a son, who are half siblings, just like BM's DD, but you never see them depicted. 

Obviously, there could be many reasons you don't see the other half-siblings (maybe they don't want to appear, maybe they're not close, etc, etc.) it just struck me that the BM's child is there regardless. I also realize this half-sister also lives with BM, so she's around and has been raised with Mahomes. (Oh, and I couldn't help noting BM is described as raising them as a single mom, yet she did not work and stayed home to raise her kids--I'm sure paid for by CS from her boys' father, who was a professional baseball player.) 

Still, all this reminded me of the fact both my SSs have posted pics of "family" on social media of them with BM and her DD with her current DH. They've never posted a pic with or of my DSs, nor would they. I'm sure they don't consider them "family." Only their half-sibling from BM is family. Thankfully, my DH would never pose for a family pic with SSs and BM (and especially not with BM's DD in it, too.) And maybe Patrick Mahomes, II's dad doesn't have a significant other to care about him posing with them. The whole thing just made me stop and think. If I were not a SM, maybe I wouldn't give it a second thought, or would think it's just fine, like the rest of the world probably does. 

Stepdrama2020's picture

I agree. Us SM's ,and ex SM"s like me. will look at it differently. I did that for our last president and wondred how the First Lady could stand her DH and SD in the limelight together. No other presidency had the "first DD" so prominently displayed without the first lady being there too. That is probably because the first DD considered herself as first lady and daddio didnt want to rock the boat for his princess.

tog redux's picture

Well, to be fair, your SSs barely consider your DH to be family, much less your sons. 

SMto2's picture

That's very true. I doubt it would make a difference if SSs were closer to DH, however. That probably would make them want to exclude DSs all the more. To be fair, my SSs also have never posted a pic with or of BM's DH. I don't think they consider him family, either. BM is the be-all, end-all. Lol

advice.only2's picture

We were watching Saved By the Bell the other day when Jessie's dad got re-married and how the dad basically put Jessie in her place and told her he was marrying the woman, regardless of how she felt. I told my BD that's not how it really works, in reality the dad would have put the SM in her place and told her to accept however his daughter treats her because that's his precious princess. My DH gets a bit annoyed when I bring up SM situations, but that's because he knows he was a Disney Dad who almost lost his marriage over it.

MissK03's picture

Brady's oldest isn't Gisele's.. They always appear to be a "happy" blended family. Who knows the truth though. 

Many sceniors like this in the famous world.  

CLove's picture

When you enter the Step-world, its like your eyes have been opened and you see things that you normally would not and that others in the non-step world do not. And when you mention it to non-steppers, they shrug their shoulders and go "oh, hmmm" and its on to the next thing.

No one truly understands unless they are in it.

Rags's picture

Pretty much the same thing with Megan Markle and her F'd up blended family as a kid.

In Mahome's case, his paternal half sibs may not recognize him as family or he does not recognize them.  If the typical STalk blended family opposition BM is any measure, Mahome's paternal half sibs were not tolerated as his family by his own mother.  The paternal half sibs' mom(s) may have done  what Mahome's BM likely did with Mahomes and made it clear that only the fruit of her loins mattered.  It certainly is not beyond the bounds of possibility that Mahome's BM  could not ace out the father of her cash cow NFL SuperBowl winning quarterback son who in all liklihood was close to his father who was heavily involved in his youth sports activities.

Just brainstorming.

WwCorgi7's picture

Agree. Who knows for sure but definitely possible. This is my situation and we are actually labeled "the second family" by SD herself lol! Any children that did not personally exit BM's birth canal is not really a sibling or so I've been told. 

relationshipguru's picture

I think we need to keep in mind that what is portrayed on social media is not always reality. I pretended to be all happy as can be with my blended family at the time. It couldn't have been further from the truth. The reality was there was a lot of unhappiness, resentment and jealousy. The relationship was also lacking a lot of things.