You are here

OT- The girls with tourettes in NY

stepintexas's picture

Okay, I have seen alot on these girls, and I will put it right out there- I think it was/ possibly still is an act, if it hasn't turned into involuntary actions. I wanted to get opinions on this forum- as we all know how teens can play their parents.
There are just too many inconsistancies for this to be environmental or bacterial. The population would show a diverse group of people with it if it was either of the two, IMO.

doll faced sm's picture

I haven't followed the story very closely, but my honest to goodness first thought was PANDAS.

PeanutandSons's picture

Pandas?

bearcub25's picture

Acronym for an illness...

Comments (Add comment)
Doctor: NY teens have PANDAS-like illness
On Monday night, New Jersey neurologist Dr. Rosario Trifiletti updated HLN’s Dr. Drew on the Pediatric Autoimmune Illness Associated with Streptococci (PANDAS) testing he has been doing on teen girls in Le Roy, New York, who have been affected by Tourette-like outbursts.

“We have some early results on some of the children,” Trifiletti said. “We’ve gotten the results, so far, [for] six of the nine children back. I can tell you that they are testing positive - each one is testing for either streptococcus or mycoplasma, which are known triggers of the PANDAS syndrome.”

stepintexas's picture

I concede that it is possibly PANDAS- but wouldn't a more diverse section of the population get it?
Isn't PANDAS related to a bacterial infection?

doll faced sm's picture

It is, it's related to a strep infection. But not every kid who gets strep is affected neurologically by it - in fact the vast majority are not.

Auteur's picture

I think it is a FB collaborative. Somehow everyone is MUCH too ill to attend school. Sadly I live about 30 miles away from said "ground tear-O"

File under: Salem Witch Trials

stepintexas's picture

Auteur, I am tending towards the same, although I did read some on PANDA and cannot rule it out completely. But intuitively, I think the girls started this behavior of their own choice and are now committed to playing the part, as there has been national attention payed to it, and alot of money, time and energy put into finding out what it is, so the girls probably feel like they must continue to commit to the role.
Plus, PANDA seems to be something that young children could be affected by and there are no cases of toddlers and small children having it yet.
Environmental causes I think should be ruled out- based on the fact that the affects would be spread through a more diverse setion of the population.

jojo68's picture

I seriously have my doubts about the validity of the whole thing too...the first thing that came to my mind was the "pregnancy pact" that happened a few years back. If this is a true illness then I hope the best for them all and hope they get better soon.