You are here

Honeymoon phase?

StepBackandObserve's picture

I've heard of an apparent honeymoon phase with the stepkids. I think I'm experiencing it, but I'm so over it. Two of the three stepkids (SD11 and SS11) sort of act like 5 year olds. I'm honestly not sure how 11 year olds are suppose to act because I haven't been around children enough to know, all I know is that I never acted this way and neither did my younger sister when she was that age, but all kids are different I guess.

They just always want to help. I feel like I can't wipe my a** without them asking if I need more tissue. Whether I am cooking, or fixing the baby bottle, washing dishes, or simply going outside to get something out of my car, they always want to help me do it. It's weird because their mother complains to their father that when she asks them to do chores around the house, they completely ignore her and nothing gets done. So why are they so eager to help me, when I don't even ask. Needless to say, it annoys the h*** out of me. SS14 pretty much ignores me. He just sits around watching tv or playing video games. I've seen a lot of stepparents complain about being ignored by the skids, but I absolutely love it. Call me a bad person if you want, but I love the fact that he stays out of my hair and I stay out of his. Is this normal behavior for 11 year olds? I feel like SS11 genuinely wants to help, but SD11 mainly only wants to help when SS has already asked to do something. If he's mixing a bowl of pancake batter, she comes and takes the spoon because she now wants to do it. Whenever she does this, she always looks at me, like she's waiting for me to say yes or no. I usually let them figure it out, but lately I've been sticking up for SS, because I see it annoys him probably more than it does me. When she is the first to come, I still feel like it's just to beat him to the punch. It's the same way at meal time. She gobbles down her food first, just so can be the first to claim any seconds she may want. Majority of the time she doesn't even eat it all. One morning, her father made breakfast. He didn't cook enough toast for me and him. All three step kids got 2 slices, but there were only two slices left, one for me and one for him. When he noticed he hadn't made enough, he popped a few more slices in the toaster. Before he could bring it to the table, he stepped into the living room to answer a phone call. The four of us (skids and I) were sitting at the table, eating our breakfast. SD gobbles down her breakfast, jumps up while her father is out of the kitchen, grabs another slice of toast and another piece of sausage. If the kid was truly hungry, it wouldn't have mattered at all. But she takes one bit of the toast, and I couldn't even tell if she ate any of the sausage. It just looked like she tore it up with her hands (basically it looked played over). What happens to the extra food she didn't eat? It went in the garbage. Even when she does manage to eat all of her seconds, she's forcing herself to choke it down. Surprised she hasn't made herself sick as a dog yet by doing so. Anyway, not my problem.

But I am sick of the steps. SS14 is cool. So far, I can honestly say that I can tolerate him around the clock, sun up from sun down, all year round if I had to. But the twins.... Yeah, not so much. 
My BF is really at his happiest when he has all of around, his kids, our DD, and me. But I'm not so thrilled. 

Rags's picture

Inform her that because she tends to be rude by taking the last serving when others are still eating their first, and she tends to not finish it, she does not get seconds until everyone else has finished their first serving and can have a second.

End of problem.

As for the over helping, not really a problem all things considered.

IMHO of course.

StepBackandObserve's picture

Great advice, but I really don't want to intervene and try to correct this behavior, especially when my BF is sitting right there at the table, and he sees it just like I see it. I was mostly just venting about the situation. I do think that this behavior has spread to other areas, and I'm sensing that her brothers have started to resent her because of it. For the sake of their relationship, I hope her parents will correct the behavior at some point.

Yes, the over helping isn't a bad thing, it just annoys me so much. The minute they hear me stirring, they pop up to see what I'm doing. I'm starting to find ways around it. Like cooking the meal at my home, and bringing it over, so that while I'm cooking, I'm not constantly bombarded by kids. Or, making a batch of formula at night while they sleep. I never see them do this to their dad. If he's in the kitchen cooking or if he's doing some sort of task, and needs some assistance, he has to asked. They're not right there like his shadow. Having help is great when you need it, but I don't need it all the time. 

Rags's picture

Wink

I get the frustration.  Even with BioKids, there can be incredibly annoying kid stuff to deal with.