You are here

Girlfriend's parents refuse to accept me

Incitatus64's picture

I have a son and my girlfriend has a son and a daughter. All of them are teenagers. She got divorced 5 years ago. Her ex husband and her have joint custody over the kids, but her kids mostly live with the ex husband. We are in our forties. I am a widower.

Her parents are my problem. They and her ex husband are friends, and they belong to a very strict Christian Protestant denomination that views divorce as a sin. As far as they are concerned, she sinned by divorcing the ex, and the only acceptable relationship would be for her and her ex to get back together again, because, in their eyes, any other relationship would come down to adultery - there is some passage somewhere in the book of Matthew that says as much.

Due to financial reasons (she's a teacher and doesn't earn much) she lives in a garden cottage on her parents' property. I am an engineer and do earn a good salary, and have my own home. She and I would like to move in together, which is, naturally, also a mortal sin in the eyes of her parents. Her parents therefore absolutely refuse to even acknowledge my existence, and will for example not even greet me when I go and pick her up at her house. They are also threatening to have her ex keep the children away from her, and having her censured by their church, to which she also belongs. I eventually wrote a letter her dad that surely God wants people to love one another and be good for one another, but he was having none of it.

I am pulling my hair out in frustration. I don't want to ruin her relationship with her parents, or cause issues with child custody, but really, I have big problems with old people interfering in a relationship due to their 17th century views.

JadeMom's picture

You're both in your forties. Her parents' opinion shouldn't even matter.

And if their opinion is crucial for your girlfriend, I'd view that as a huge red flag. She's not a kid who needs mommy and daddy's approval to date, or to move in with you.

And if she thinks she needs their approval now, what else will she need their approval for?

Her parents honestly sound very rude and controlling. Sounds like they (and your girlfriend, probably) have a lot of growing up to do.

If your girlfriend requires you to win over her parents, I'd leave her.

Thumper's picture

Why hasn't her parents shunned their daughter AND her ex husband since they sinned the an awful, unforgiving sin in the eyes of "their" church.

One can not shun in part.

Do you see what I mean?

What do YOU know about the sect they belong to. I use that term for a specific reason.

Thumper's picture

Tomatoe---I realize they want the back together.

However IF IN FACT the sect is a firm believer and I do mean following strict rules THEY would have booted them out of the church because of the divorce.

I am trying to find out by OP what sect/church it is.

Cant have it both ways. Either they are against Divorce OR they are not.

Thumper's picture

OK I am taking the chance of being booted off Step talk. Here is goes.

OP get over it. Unless you refused to discuss with your girlfriend about her parents core beliefs, isn't it true that YOU decided that she,, with all her background, and upbringing , has to be the one for you. YOU knew this walking thru these many months.

Her parents will NOT accept you. So go ahead---stick with it. Sounds like a great foundation for a successful relationship.

SMH

I miss people having common sense.

advice.only2's picture

Really the issue here is you thinking you can change the opinions of people who are staunchly entrenched in their religion. The parents beliefs are not going to change just because you want them too. As for the girlfriend it sounds like she it doing whatever she wants. IMO the real issue here is you want the parents to change their morals and values to suit yours, and it's not going to happen.

Grace Galloway's picture

You can't ruin the relationship between your g/f and her parents. They already think she's a sinner so there is already bad blood there. I know you probably love your g/f and would love for this situation to get better but its already starting off pretty awful (unacceptance, threats, not cordial, etc). Imagine how much worse it will get if you move in together? They might disown her who knows. Either way, its up to her to manage and mediate the relationship between herself and her parents. Its not too late to walk away because you are in for years of heartache and turmoil with this one, if you both allow her family to dictate your lives in any way.

SugarSpice's picture

never underestimate the power of parents and skids to make your life miserable.

ideally the partner or spouse would be able to make up his or her mind about the relationship but its not as easy as that.

there are not easy answers.

marblefawn's picture

This is trouble for so many reasons.
She is in her 40s and still financially reliant on her parents - not good. In turn, the parents have no problem asserting the control she's given them by living off them. Scary!
The parents might make good on their promise and accuse her of things regarding her kids that will force her to leave you or leave them. Either way, that will be ugly.
Even if you do manage to be together, the ex will be a bigger part of your life than normal (which normally is way too much) if the parents harbor him and reject you.
She is from a freaky religion that you should probably share or at least be inclined toward to make this work - but instead, not only aren't you talking about marriage, you're talking about shacking up. Yea, not so 17th century.
And then there's this: if she's so religious, why DID she get divorced? Why would she even THINK of shacking up if she's so religious? There's something off with her claiming this religion but doing so many things the church opposes. Seems she's taking what she wants from her church and leaving the rest. That tells me she might shack up with you now, but will find your beliefs (or lack thereof) repugnant down the line when the bud is off this rose. And then she will run back to mummy and daddy - like a child, not a grown woman.
Nah...I know it's been 18 months, but I think you're not asking enough questions. Never mind the parents and the ex. She sounds very...um...what is it?...immature? Perhaps you are rushing things - rushing isn't just about endurance and time. It's also about seeing who else is out there and getting your feet wet in the dating thing again. Have you dated others? Do you find it hard to meet women so you've lasted 18 months in this crazy situation? Are you just really lonely and she's hung in there so this is The One?
Look, dude, you're an engineer. You're smart. You own your own home. You have a son. You're successful. But like most engineers, (and I know a few), you might not be as savvy about women as you are creep crack growth. You are saddling yourself with two stepkids, an ex-husband, and two parents - none of whom are cheer-leading for you and you're doing it all for her. But is she worth it? Look more closely at her. She is not self sufficient and she's not even raising her own kids. She's harnessed to her parents in an odd 17th century way. She's talking out of both sides of her mouth on this religion thing. I'd give this way more time to...simmer. And besides - you have a son. You can't screw this up - he's been through enough already with your wife's death. If this woman is so great, why aren't you talking about marrying her instead of shacking up? If she's not worth marrying, and she's not worth driving that far to date, why would you shack up and co-mingle your son's daily life with hers? I really hope this works out for you. I think you have a lot to offer someone and should give yourself a few more tries to find a situation that's more welcoming to you and your son. I'd start by getting a dog Smile

Aunt Agatha's picture

Marble makes some excellent points. What are you really getting here? I started out as a teacher, realized the pay wasn’t livable and got out. She’s not taking care of herself. She will go from her parents taking care of her (who she has spent much of her life under their control), to you taking care of her.

Is this really what you want for you and your son? Add to that the already considerable step family challenges, lack of cheerleaders for you in her life, and finally, the costs of alimony and divorce should you get married.

What’s the rush? She needs to learn to be her own woman who can take care of herself and not find a nice guy who will take her considerable baggage on.

NotMySelfishLazyLoudFatKid's picture

I completely agree with Marble. You've got too much to offer. It's gotta be a two way street and it won't be with this woman. An engineer you say? Totally inappropriate, but if I was single, I'd want to get to know you too. My Dad's a senior mechanical engineer and I'm going back to school for Cell Science and Tissue Engineering.

Rags's picture

I take the position that I do not tolerate toxic people in my life. Family or not.

I would suggest that you and your intended focus on your own relationship and her parents can get on board... or not. As for the Church censuring her... if that church is important enough to her she can be pro-active and go see the minister and deal with him directly. That cuts her parents and the X out of the mix. Better to pro-actively neuter that crowd than continue to tolerate their manipulative crap.

If her conversation with the minister does not result in a tenable situation .... there are countless Protestant alternatives that would welcome her.... and you.

All IMHO of course.