You are here

Dating a Man w/ Children

editorgrl's picture

I recently rekindled a romance with an ex that I dated more than five years ago. In the past five years, he got married and had two children, ages 4 and 2. His wife cheated on him and now they are going through a rather amicable divorce. At least, she was amicable until he started seeing me.

I have told him that I do not want to involve myself in his children's lives until we are very serious about the direction of our relationship. He seemed to respect this but has recently thrown out the idea of me coming to stay with him while he has them for the weekend. I said I was not comfortable with it.

When would be an appropriate time frame to meet his children... and/or also meet/talk with their BM? I don't want her to think that I am trying to somehow make up for her or trying to intrude on her relationship with them. I want everyone to remain as amicable as possible.

I have never dated a divorcee nor someone with children, so this is very new to me and I could use the advice! :?

Ommy's picture

run....get in your car and drive far far away...

Take it slow. There is NO right time, and there is no right answer. I would recommend when you are ready for that step to go very slow, let him handle all the responsibility involving his kids. A lot of us tried to be supper SM and it ended up biting us in the butt and we got walked on/hated by our Skids. As far as the BM is concerned, Put it off as long as possible. She is his ex, and you dont have to speak with her, and you do not have to be her best friend.

Dont let him pressure you into meeting his kids/ex wife. Take things slow and make sure that you are happy.

editorgrl's picture

I am extremely happy at the way things are progressing with our relationship right now. There are really no complaints.

In the past, I was a teacher, and I know how attached children can get to new people in their life. I've reiterated to him today that, even though I would really love to meet his children, I do not think it is appropriate at this juncture and certainly not until his divorce is completely finalized.

editorgrl's picture

So maybe I should meet them after maybe six months? See what it's like and proceed from there? I doubt they'd be too bad considering their young ages...

Ommy's picture

My soon to be 3 year old step daughter appears very sweet. She has given me black eyes, told people that I beat her, ripped my ear ring out when she said she wanted to tell me a secrete. The reason why, she thought it was funny to hit, kick, and over all abuse me. One night I was reading, FDH asked her to find out what I wanted to drink, she walked up and slapped me in the face. BM the lovely had convinced her that it was fun to hit me, not to mention it when she did she got new toys out of it.

The point is, age means nothing.

stepmisery's picture

Given the young ages of his children, here is something to think about.

How long has he actually been parenting them and caring for them on his own?

How much of his motivation for you to come and stay is actually based on you doing the cooking, cleaning, and minding of the children.

You need to make it very clear that even though the children are very young, you are not a substitute mommy. He will be cooking their food, serving it to them, teaching them manners, cleaning up after them, doing the bathing, pj'ing and nighttime routine. He needs to stay on top of their laundry, keep their beds clean, keep the home in order.

Make sure he does all the actual parenting. You don't really want to be the mommy at his house because those kids already have a mommy.

It's very common for a divorce to start out amiable and then go to hell in a handbasket. For one thing, attorneys thrive on conflict because there's more money in a high-conflict divorce.

Step back and let this man get his life straightened out before you get in very deep with him.

Read on here about how SM's who have subsequent children and what they deal with.

editorgrl's picture

May I should add that we are in a long-distance relationship (it's a travel-able distance on weekends, just not every day) right now. I made it clear that I would not make our relationship "official" until the divorce was finalized. When I said he wanted me to come stay with him, it was only to visit for a weekend, not for a live-in situation.

He takes care of his children alone most of the time since his ex sometimes goes away for a couple weeks at a time for training for her job.

There divorce is so amicable that they have decided not to involve attorneys or mediators.

stepmisery's picture

If they can work that out they can sure save a lot of money. I've never known of a divorced couple with kids who did it on their own.

If she's not that amicable anymore, your presence in his home on the weekend her kids are there is probably going to send her through the roof. You might do it just to see how that works out.

editorgrl's picture

Of course seeing him in action will always be better. But for now I trust his word and hope that when the day comes to meet his children, that I wasn't duped...

Ommy's picture

Be careful in the beginning, a Disney Dad seems like the best dad because of how much they care...then BAM!!! It hits you a few weeks/months down the line that what they are doing isnt right.

Oh and what are his thoughts on co-sleeping, that is something I highly recommend you talk about before you ever stay over. A lot of Disney Dads say it is a "bonding time" or they are "used to it" how ever it opens SM/girlfriend to a whole can of worms when the kid says they sleep with ____. Not to mention sex life comes to a stop.

editorgrl's picture

He recently said something about his ex starting to have the kids sleep in her bed. He says he does not allow it and thinks it's a bad habit.

hippiegirl's picture

RUN!!!

my.kids.mom's picture

dog person is right!!! My (now ex) bf is an awesome parent...in his head. In reality he coddles, babies, and spoils them, and puts them on an unreachable pedestal. Do NOT meet the kids until you see (or hear) how he parents. He will tell you things he did, things they did, how he handled stuff,etc. in day to day conversations. Even still, once you are in the picture, it might change 100%. This happens when they have guilt about the divorce, and if he does, you will see that you are always the odd man out. Hopefully this does not happen, but look out for the signs!

Orange County Ca's picture

RUN. There are just too many childless men available to get into rearing someone elses kids. Consider if the bio-mother: dies, goes crazy, abandons them plus one of the kids comes down with a disease which takes full time care for 20 years until they die.

It's happened and you're not exempt.

If you must enter into this foolish endeavor then when you are have formally announced as a couple intending to marry you can take that step. Definitely open a door between you and the bio-mother assuring her that you have no intention of trying to replace her as the mother and please tell you her rules for the kids that should be followed when they visit.

Do not have children of your own with this man for two years. That will give you time to decide if you want to stay with him before dragging another child or two into the mix.

Oh and one more thing. RUN - a few hours here should convince.

editorgrl's picture

a lot of you say to run. I understand the reasoning behind it, but really, who is going to date the men/women who have children or "baggage"? Do they not deserve to eventually find someone more compatible? I would hope that if I were in the same situation (with two kids and an ex husband) that I would be able to date and meet someone new and be happy.

seems like a very bitter an negative outlook...

Freedom2005's picture

I agree with some of the advice you are getting editorgrl. Not with the RUN attitude though. This is your relationship, you want it. He wants it. There are a lot of people on here who mean well, even the ones that say RUN. Some of the people here have been through horrible situations with the BM and the Skids. I am among them.

Get a lot of boundaries set and STICK TO THEM! You have no idea how gad I was to see your BF said that he does not believe in co-sleeping. Another boundary is "you are their dad, I am not responsible for them" I cannot stress this enough.

My significant other (SO) and I fight about this all the time. I am responsible for his kids, but have no say in how they are raised. I am much more strict and he is NOT! These are things that couples with out kids in the beginning work out before they have kids (at least that is what the books say Blum 3 )

I think you are on the right track actually. Keeping the communication open and SETTING BOUNDARIES. You are obviously doing that. But STICK TO THEM!

Good luck!

editorgrl's picture

thank you for giving me some advice other than to run. i think every situation is different, and unfortunately for a lot of people on this board, they have had bad experiences. i hope to never have to go through that.

i don't believe that his ex is psychotic or mentally unstable at this point. she seems like a reasonable person... she's a teacher by occupation (so is my guy) and well educated. from what i gather she is also a pretty reserved and quiet person.

my guy and her got married soon after dating when they found out they were pregnant (trying to do the right thing by getting married). they learned that although they were parents, they were not suited for each other and better off as friends... but that didn't stop her from going outside the marriage first.

i definitely know how to set boundaries. and i think i am doing an okay job of it right now. i am a pretty stubborn person so i don't think i will be backing down on them.

ownedbypedro's picture

No, really...RUN! I was where you are once. Eyes wide open (so I thought), full of hope, asking the right questions...

then BAM! The people who said RUN! are correct. Sorry, that's my two cents and of course you may take it or leave it.

Good luck. I know that now I am saying that I should have listened to the people who told me "don't do it."

mama_althea's picture

"believe maybe a quarter of what he says as far as his "parenting style." My FH and I were PERFECTLY on the same page as far as how children should be raised. We literally agreed on everything! Unfortunately, he was completely unable to put his words into action once the children were in his presence. All of his talk was just that - talk! And when I pointed out the disparity between what he said and what he actually did he became VERY defensive - basically because he knew very well that he was being a Disney Dad and taking the lazy way out - and that was when all the fighting started.

Bottom line - it is easy for them to talk about how wonderful a parent they are. Seeing them in action is a real eye-opener."

is exactly what what I would have said, but saved me the typing.

Is a hotel and day visiting with him and the kids out of the question? That might be the way to go for awhile.

SebringLad's picture

I am happy for you and ex but really think about his kids and your future together seriously,far too many people don't and end up stuck,unhappy,etc.,etc.!!!!!!!!

Poodle's picture

i don't agree with the poster who said it was great to hear he didn't agree with co-sleeping and I'll tell you for why. This has nothing to do with co-sleeping as an issue and everything to do with their parental conflict, which is currently underground but is likely to come out into the open in really unexpected ways in the future. I was in a very similar situation to yours at the start of my relationship with DH too. But early on, there were these tiny little digs at BM's parenting style being uttered... and I took them at face value, agreeing that she was in the wrong... what, looking back now on it all 15 years later, was really happening I think was that theirs had been a marriage where there had been some fundamental conflict which was never voiced at the time, but only came out later, in the divorce process. DH did everything BM wanted, everything was pleasant and amicable, he always knuckled under, UNTIL... they were no longer an item. Then it was the time to mount a few tiny attacks on her using me as an audience. They seemed so insignificant. And indeed they were, when compared to the unholy hell that BM unleashed when she realised that the relationship was really over. And I'm not talking about the public scenes, though they did occur. I'm talking about the use of the children as pawns and footsoldiers in a manipulation competition. You've got the start of one in your situation already. A conflict over as serious and fundamental an issue as co-sleeping. Believe me, this is only the tip of the iceberg. He will start to complain of a lot more over time. And though he may do nothing to confront her directly, the little criticisms of each other will fly to and fro... via the children... at the ultimate expense of your happiness as you watch their drama overshadowing your romance.

You have to remember three basic truths in this situation. (1) If they are as civilised, educated and sussed as you say, and I don't disagree that they sound it, then you have to look at the fact that they have had no open conflict as a problem. Stable, reasonable, civilised people do not get divorced unless it is the absolute last straw. Yes, trash marry and divorce easily: but people of the type you describe have to have gone through internal hell and back before they do that to themselves and their children. Bear that in mind. A lot of pain is not being expressed by one party or the other and this may be because it is yet to be expressed - MESSILY.

(2) I think you haven't been married. Until you are, you won't necessarily know that married people's deep (and of course conflicted, no doubt) feelings for each other do not stop immediately on separation and divorce. In particular, this BM may still harbour ideas that what they are having is a trial separation. There will be a big sea change once she sees it is really over.

(3) Never just listen to one side of the story in a divorce. I'm not saying speak to BM, but do please take everything the husband is saying with a pinch of salt. I believed everything my now DH said about it being over, it being amicable, the kids being fine, him being a single parent, and on and on and on. It was much of it wishful thinking on his part. He was not consciously aware of all the shit stored up and still waiting to pour over him, his extended family, and anyone he had a relationship with in the future. This from an intelligent, educated and philosophical woman.

So, in sum, I agree there is no point being a glass-half-empty person and negative, but whilst you take a glass-half-full stand on this situation please remember that water even if plentiful must be conserved. Therefore, preserve your privacy and your separation from him and his kids until many moons hence. Do not move in. Leave him to have visitation or residency arrangements in his home, not yours. Only share property and full emotional goals once the divorce and financial settlement is over and he has done a year of getting used to the new parental regime. If he has the maturity you see in him, he will hack it and you will both live happily ever after. If not, you can get out gracefully and unscathed. Win-win.

editorgrl's picture

I've always approached things in a conservative way. I've never been the one to leap into an uncertain circumstance, especially one like this. I do appreciate most of the constructive feedback I've received on here. I have also taken a lot of advice from my own parents (my father was married before he married my mother, had two kids with his ex. my mother came into the situation and had to make 'nice' with a 9 yr old and a developmentally delayed 8 yr old. it was very hard for her. and then they had me).

As far as your three comments:
(1) they rushed into the marriage because they thought it would be the right thing to do upon learning they were pregnant. the pregnancy was obviously unplanned. they have both admitted to never being in love with each other but being good friends. the ultimate reason for the divorce was that she went outside the marriage and fell in love with another man. my SO and the ex went to counseling but it did not work. he said he had a hard time accepting that she had "fallen in love" not just had sort of casual sex with someone else. so they are reasonable, stable people, that just didn't work.

(2) no, i have never been married. i also come from a home where my parents are still together after many years. i don't claim to know the ins and outs of marriage. but i have been with other men. two relationships i had lasted four years each and i lived with both of them. the last, we shared financial obligations with each other. it may as well have been a marriage. i realize that my now-SO's ex may harbor some sort of feelings for my SO, but this is also why we have not made anything official and we are just progressing slowly. i don't have any delusions of grandeur.

(3) i don't take things with a grain of salt because i've known SO for at least five years. BUT i do know and recognize that there are two sides to every story and it would be interesting to know her take on it. until i meet her of course, i will never know. but i try to scope out his actions and reactions to things she does or says. everything has been positive. and he NEVER says an ill word about her except for the co-sleeping.

editorgrl's picture

i do love him. i loved him when we first dated and i love him now. he is a good provider: very educated, intelligent, has a stable job, has very lofty career aspirations that he's working toward etc. and i hope that he would be a good father to the children that we have discussed having in our future (if we continue to see each other).

stepmisery's picture

You might consider something before you hopelessly lose your heart in this relationship.

Many times, this is so very common, when a couple breaks up, the single person is weary and hurting and fearful of being alone. A natural reaction is to look backward to former relationships to see if they can be rekindled. This is easier than looking forward to having to meet new people, face rejection, etc.

Because this is a rekindled romance, and he is still married, proceed with caution. Uber caution.

editorgrl's picture

i am definitely being cautious! i am in love with him, but i do not place unreal expectations on the relationship. and like i said previously, this is a long distance relationship for right now. we see each other every three weeks or so. i feel like this is the best scenario for right now since he is going through the divorce still and is still getting his children acclimated and used to the idea of BM not being around. i am treading very lightly and have expressly told him that i will not commit to him or expect any monogamy (and he shouldn't expect it from me either) until the divorce has been finalized and some time after that.

Poodle's picture

Ulp! I just saw stepmisery's post talking about your rekindled romance. I had not remembered by the end of your post the point that this was a relationship you had before his marriage. This was exactly my situation too, though our first relationship was 10 years before they married and 20 before he and I rekindled the romance. This is very relevant to the warning I gave. If there is any possibility that she sees him as having held a torch for you throughout their relationship, then first of all she will be deeply insecure about you and secondly it will be fatal to any good resolution because she will not be able to resist passing that idea onto the children and/or making scenes about it. You then get presented as the jezebel who broke up their relationship when you are not even guilty as such. Children do not forgive this kind of stepmother.

Oceanic815's picture

Timing is such an individual decision. My DH and I moved fast: met, engaged a couple weeks later, met skids, married 9 months after we met, pregnant 6 months after marriage. We have been married 7 happy years btw Smile

So timing isn't the issue. Maybe you are subconsciously looking for an issue to delay things?

I love my skids but there have been times I wish I never had skids at all. Then I felt guilty because all of those bad times with them eventually pass. So I have learned to stick it out. Some posters on here have awful skids and I feel for them and don't know how they do it. Mine are in no way perfect and have their moments of hurting our feelings (DH, mines and our son's) but in general, and in spite of their worthless mom, they are good kids. They just don't have the guidance they need. Times are ok for now, but just ok. Both of my skids are in therapy because their mother has done zero parenting and we are afraid that the other has a disability because he is just behind mentally and in life, so we are in a lousy situation but are making the best of it.

And I don't care how nice your boyfriend's soon to be ex is, she will not always be that way. Wait until child support, custody, tax season, school, and every other life event comes around. Our BM is terrible, but if you saw her and I having a conversation you'd think we were BFFs. She is such a phony and had those kids to get child support so she wouldn't have to work (over 30, lives with parents & little sister who has 2 kids, never had a job or even license).

Every situation is different. Things will happen that you will not expect. Things will not always be good as far as the skids are concerned. These are all facts. The people who post on this site care enough about fellow stepparents to answer questions & give advice and what you have here is a culmination of how many different ways your life could go. I know that I see my skids 3 or 4 times a year but what if something happens to BM and DH gets full custody? I am prepared for that (would actually be nice to have them & not deal with BM Smile ).

If you stay with this guy you are in for a life filled with resentment and frustration. Not ALL the time of course, but these feelings will be part of your life. Timing of meeting the children is just the tippy top of the iceberg Smile If this man is worth it, go for it. My DH is Smile

MichelleA's picture

I met my FSDs after 5 months of dating. We wanted to make sure we really wanted this relationship to be 'forever type ' of relationship firsst. My BF is a widower of 3 years so he had to be sure that this is what he wanted first.

I love my two little FSDs - they are a joy. Yes we have had some issues that we have had to resolve, but all in all it has been worth it.

I know that life is't going to be a bed of roses when I move in - in 8 weeks time, I but we have started installing proper routines, boundaries for the girls already which is a good start.

I wish you all the luck in the world... lots of people on here will tell you to run (because of all the heartache that you are bound to suffer like the rest of us) but if you are open and loving, and respect them and they respect you back then you are off to a good start. xx

Luna1234567's picture

Please RUN WHILE YOU CAN> I know this post is old....but run...don't get involved with this man no matter how much you love him. It's not worth it. Your life will become a nightmare and it will get worse and worse as the kids get older. You will also have their Biological mom in your life forever.... If I could go back to 4 years ago when I first met hubby I swear I would run, run, run!

2Tired4Drama's picture

You've been given some very logical, insightful advice. All I can tell you is to please seriously think about it all. So often people are so much in love, and are so hopeful for a successful relationship ("We'll be the ones who will make this work - despite all the odds against it," they say with conviction!) that they come here for opinions and then wind up in a defensive mode if it doesn't meet their subconscious ideas of happily ever after.

You have doubts or you wouldn't be here. That's a good thing. I also agree with the others that your previous relationship with this man is also an important factor and can have impact. Why did the two of you break up? Has something changed that would make your relationship more successful now than it was then?

Remember, this is NOT the same man you dated years ago. He became a husband. And then a father. And fatherhood of these two children (and thus, a potential connection to his Ex, her family, her future children) will last until he is dead and buried. Think carefully about that: Until. He. Dies.

There are billions of men on this planet. You've already been around the block with this one once, why go back? Especially when his life has changed so dramatically.

You need to think about what you may be giving up. One being the unified joy of being first time parents together. Even if it all works out and you have your own children together, it won't be his first experience at pregnancy and parenthood. You will always be second in that regard. That sort of thing may not matter to you but it is something to be aware of.

Second marriages have a high failure rate. And not to be cynical, but although your SO is telling you he wants more children, don't bet on it. Once he sees the financial implication of paying for the two he already has, he may have second thoughts about having more. He may just slow-roll you on the issue at first, until he finally says he doesn't want anymore. By then you may be years into it. And no matter what the financial agreement is for child support, you will certainly be helping to indirectly or directly subsidize the two he already has if you marry, or even cohabit, with him.

One can always hope that they will be the exception to any statistic and some people are. I always comment that those happy people may have no need to post here - but then again, I haven't found a site where all those happy Steps gather, either!

The other advice I always give is to take a look at the postings on the adult discussion forum here. So many people think problems will exist only till the kids become adults. Not true. Think about that when you are wondering about your future together - as I said, these kids will be a part of his life forever unless they become completely estranged.

No matter how much they may appear to "bond" with you, statistically those two kids will never fully accept you. Look and see what happened to some of the folks on the adult forum - after DECADES of caring for their skids, spending their own income and life savings on college, medical or other bills, loving them, caring for them, thinking they've got a good relationship - they are stunned to find out how easily the skids will kick them to the curb.

This, too, could be your future. You will never be a parent to these two children - you will always be dispensible in their eyes. And as much as your SO loves you, it will be a real test when he must make a choice between his kids and you on some sort of issue or event. Whatever you do, I would NOT marry this man for a long, long time.

My SO said he had an "amicable" relationship with his ex and family, too. But after many years into this relationship, I see now there are all kinds of undercurrents and significant and serious problems which were not immediately apparent. In some ways, it was much more destructive than out-and-out hostility.

You could be one of the exceptions where it all does work out fine. No one knows the answer to that at this stage - including you.

The question, however, is are you willing to bet some of the best years of your life on it?

simifan's picture

i don't see a problem meeting the kids. then again, i've never seen the point of why these things have to be such a build up and create such tension. To me, if i can't stand these kids - i want to know in the beginning not six months down the road when "we're serious".

2. it seems as if you've made up your mind, so i fail to see the point of asking our advise. Don't worry, we will welcome you back when your "different" situation starts looking eerily similar to the countless other of this board.