You are here

My Easter

Newimprvmodel's picture

Without going into many personal details, all my life I have celebrated Christian and Jewish holidays and my children are Jewish. My dh is not and in fact comes from a very conservative catholic family. Yesterday we took my 16 year old daughter to brunch with his large family. I might add that they are very welcoming of us, but a few insensitive comments offended me. Dh's also 16 year old niece was there and was hanging out with my daughter. Her parents made a point of telling us that so and so "has a JEWISH boyfriend", so since it was Easter "he was not invited here". And then her father added that so and so really has an interest in the fancier side of things , regarding the Jewish boyfriend. My daughter just listened and stared ahead. When I mentioned it later, she told me she didn't want to discuss it and rolled her eyes.
I mentioned it to my dh on the ride home and his comment was that it was his family's culture. I will let it drop of course.
On another note, dh sent a very brief friendly note to his daughter, who responded back saying she is staying for the summer in the Middle East and working for a non govt agency. I wonder if dh is going to restart the relationship and crazily this was thanks to me. I know that stepaside analyzed it spot on, and I feel better knowing what the enemy camp is up to..
She did mention that she is applying to several grad schools, all Ivy League, but added that she will defer admission and attempt to get a job. Is that her way of saying she is letting her father off the hook for grad school? Crazy that she holds so much power over her father. She likely sees his letter as him crawling back to her.

milldog's picture

So, DH goes on a business trip out of the country last week for 6 days. I told DH that if BM needed me to help watch SDs, that she would have to tell me in advance as I would not be available for last minute drop offs. I thought it was funny that I did not hear from them all week. It was awesome actually! I spent a blissful week hanging with friends, visiting my family, drinking wine while listening to Pandora instead of the TV blasting 24/7. I missed my hubby, but enjoyed my week. I came home from work Friday and was chatting with SD14 & DH who had just arrived home from the airport. SD was complaining that BM would not let them come over to our house. She told them that from now on if their dad was out of town, they would be with her regardless of her work schedule (she is a waitress and works long hours and many nights). She said it was “weird to be with me instead of family”. I really don’t care if they were with her, she is their mother.I prefer it actually . But to imply to them that I was not their family??? Nice job BM! Just wait until you need something from me. As I am not their family, and it is far better that they stay alone for your 12 hour shifts, I will never have a reason to say yes to you. Sad

Newimprvmodel's picture

So you offer to help out and then get told no thank you, but SD not allowed over your home without dh present? Enjoy your pandora and wine!! Lol......