You are here

Practicalities of disengaging

pete1972's picture

I need some help. I have finally decided I need to disengage from my partners daughter. Have been trying to make things work for 6 years and have had enough of being treated like shit.
I want to get my plan right though before I sit my OH down and explain it to her. My main question is how does it work?
I usually make lunches ever other day and dinner most nights. It pains me to make her lunch and dinner when she won't lift a finger to help so how do I get round that? Do I just make my own lunch (and my partners)? I can't really just make my own dinner or dinner for my partner and I can I? How does anyone else manage? I know that if I don't make the daughters lunch or dinner my OH will just do it anyway and it puts me in the bad books with her?!?! Thoughts and suggestions are VERY welcome and much appreciated.
Background info is my partners daughter is 18 and pregnant only comes home to be fed but is planning on living with us when the baby is born (whole other post).
Pete

frustratedstepdad's picture

Yes, I know from first hand experience that once a pregnant SD moves in, it takes an act of God to get her and the kid moved out. I can guarantee you that in addition to cooking meals for SD, you two will also be taking care of her child as well. From one stepdad to another, put your foot down NOW, and make your wife come up with a timetable for when SD will be moving out.

Kes's picture

There is info on the practicalities of disengaging at the following url: http://www.steptogether.org/disengaging.html

Personally, I would cook for my partner and make enough for her, but not consult her on menus at all - and if she doesn't like what you're having, tough, she can make her own. Lunch is just me at our house since my husband is at work, and I make myself a sandwich from stuff in the fridge. I wouldn't make her one, let her make her own.

I wonder what input you had into offering a home for her and baby. This would be a deal breaker for me - I would never agree to it.