You are here

New to the site, need to vent

syleegirl's picture

I am so sick of my step kids. It has become increasingly difficult as the years progressed. Hubby and I have been married 6 years. He has 3 kids; twins boy/girl 17, boy 13. I have one girl 20 and together we have one girl 7.
I am so sick of how they live at my house. They seem to think they are entitled to whatever they want and how much they want. I buy a case of pop (18 cans) on a Friday and by Saturday at noon they're all gone. 2 of his kids drank it all. Yet our child asks for chips in the afternoon as a snack and then wants chips after dinner as a snack and my hubby says 'that's too much salt for you'. Oh? And all the caffeine in the pop is okay for your other kids?
Small amount of ice cream left, his 2 boys take all of it and leave a teaspoon full. Gee thanks. Our kid wants some and they laugh and say 'it's all gone'.
When we blended together, my hubby said he couldn't pay a lot towards the bills. I understood, with him paying child support and I make more than he does. I would have to say the division is 70/30. I told my hubby his kids do not understand moderation and that when I buy things, they are to last the week. I have gone to hiding things so that the rest of the family can have it. I hid a bottle of pop and brought it out at 6pm. By 9pm it was completely gone. They are spoiled little effers and I'm sick of it.
The ex is a winner....NOT. She doesn't work and can barely afford the kids. They say their grandmother has to buy the groceries because their mother couldn't afford it. We're not extravagant, I buy sale items and coupon all the time and we live paycheck to paycheck but crap, if I can do it while paying 70% of the bills then why the hell can't she?? The mortgage is in my name and I pay the mortgage and when they are rude and disrespectful of my house, I lose my top!
I said no eating in the family room, they're slobs and spill everything, yet they continue to do so. I tell them to sit at the table, they do but the next time, back to the family room they go. How many freakin' times do I have to say the same goddam thing??
They will be here for a week holiday, I am working that week and I'm worried about the condition of how this house is going to be left in. My hubby is a slob too so I know that's where they get it from. I have told my hubby just last week that I am stressed beyond belief, they are triggers for my stress and that I am close to calling it quits because I'm going to have a nervous breakdown. All his kids would do is play video games if I let them. How can anybody play a freakin' video game from noon until midnight???? When they were younger it wasn't as bad but now I find there are 2 sets of rules: 1 for his first 3 and 1 for ours. Not fair.
We've been to therapy because I have said our daughter gets the short end of the stick. Things have changed, my hubby is really trying and our child is treated fairly most times (90%).
I am holding out for the fact that I'm hoping when they turn 20 or so, they will not be forced to come to our place and maybe they won't come but I think they know it's better here and will likely hang out more. I truly think when the child support stops, they will want to live here and if so I will say NO!!
His ex seems to be the one that wears the pants, she has custody and when one of the kids are sick, they all stay home from school. In January, the daughter decided she didn't want to go to school so the ex didn't take her. What kind of mother are you that doesn't send your kid to school. She can barely spell properly as it is. So she didn't graduate high school. My hubby used to drive the others to school and return her to her moms. I told him he was crazy for not taking her to school. Let the mother go pick her up. Who does his daughter think she is that she can make that decision? She has been sitting at home playing video games and drinking Coke all day long. Wow. Stupid. She will never amount to anything just like the ex.
I would like to take our daughter to Disneyworld but he said he can't afford to pay for all of his kids. Too bad. Why should my daughter lose out? I haven't told him that I would like to go even if he can't. I am sick and tired of paying the lions share and then I have to sit at home because you can't afford to pay for your kids? I don't think so pal.

Has anyone ever toughed it out and it got better? Or does it just keep getting worse even when their older and out of the house?

TwoOfUs's picture

Amen to this. I don't eat soda and snacks but was spending an extra $30-50 every kid weekend on these items for the three (now only two who visit!) skids. I just quit doing it. I don't change my grocery list or my meal plan one iota for the skids. They are 16 and 18 and they both work. If they want to spend $2 on a soda when water is free, they're welcome to do so.

Rags's picture

Put a lock on the pantry and leave only a bowl of fruit on the counter. They can drink tap water and have some fruit. Do not waver on this. Do not care, do not moderate. If DH has no balls then it is up to you to carry the set in your marriage.

It seems to me that DH does not earn a say in much of anything in your marriage or home. Those who are supposed to be an equity life partner who do not carry their weight get no say IMHO. Like the skids, DH can do what he is told when he is told.

I would put webcams in the living room and use those to nail the Skids asses to the wall over violating the one rule you have mentioned. No food or drinks in the family room. Have DH watch his precious spawn violate the rules and then give him the choice of addressing their crap or you will and neither he nor they will like the results if you have to deal with it.

Good luck. Take care of you and your won children. If DH will not step up.... he can be treated as the Skids are treated.