You are here

Need advice

sadinsd's picture

I was widowed at age 32 in 2009, my children were 16 and 8. I did not date or have any interest in doing so for nearly 4 years. I started dating in 2013, and met my now husband late that year. My daughters handled the news of my dating fairly well at the time. I was encouraged to keep meeting people, etc. Things started to get more serious about 3 months into our relationship, and when we got engaged after 9 montns, everyone was excited and anxious to plan. We were married 18 months after we first met and he moved into my house. My husband has three children who we have every other weekend. It has been quite the adjustment to having younger kids in the house and my youngest daughter has always felt that she needed to 'stake her ground' when they were here. After finding out that things were taken from her room, I felt that she had that right. However, this has resulted in him telling me that his kids do not feel welcome in our home. 

Fast forward to the last year ---- my husband and my two daughters (ages 26 and 18)  have had quite the contentious relationship. I am sad to say that nothing I seem to do makes anyone happy anymore. I try to be there for my girls, and my husband tells me that I am coddling them and not letting them learn about how life really works. I have been accused of being a 'soft serve' mother, because I always give in, according to him. Most issues occur with my 18 year old who lives at home and is a senior in HS. She has had a steady boyfriend for 3 years, and he graduated last spring. He is not the most ambitious, is an only child, and is spoiled rotten (admittedly, and my daughter knows it). I have let things play out and tried not to interfere too much. My daughter has had her future planned for at least a year, and made the first steps this summer -- she joined the Air National Guard and was accepted into a Technical School to pursue nursing after she returns from Basic Training in the fall.  My husband cannot stand her boyfriend and feels he is a lazy SOB. The boyfriend has not had a job since the local pool closed at the end of summer. My daughter is working basically 3 PT jobs. 

Last weekend, my daughter happened to be playing Fortnite on her PS4 that she recieved for Christmas from her grandparents on her dad's side. She has not been a gamer ever before this, but of course now is more interested in it. Well, as she is playing her boyfriend joins the game with her online. My husband comes thru the room that I am sitting in with her and asks if she is playing with her boyfriend. When we answer yes, she is, he loses his cool and says "Tell that little fu**** he should be out looking for a job or working instead of playing games." My daughter tells him to shut up, and he says no. So then he tells her to put her PS4 back in her room and get out of here. My daughter flips a gasket, and tells him to F off, and the fight is on. There was a lot of yelling and such. Then my husband unplugs the game console and brings it to her (while continuing to yell) and my daughter takes it and starts stomping upstairs saying she is going to her boyfriends and isn't coming back. He tells her go ahead, see how that works for ya with out your mommy to protect you, you f***in cu**!!

All this happens as I am sittting there dumbfounded, not knowing what to say or do. There was so much happening that I am sure I don't even remember it all, but those last words are burned in my head. I immeadiately jump up and tell him that I cannot let him talk to her like that and he needs to stop. He tells me no and storms into another room. I am in shock, and can hear my daughter slamming doors as she is getting bags to pack her things. I tell my husband that if that is how he is going to act, I need him to leave. He says no, and starts to say that I am right, and he should not have called her that name. But, he does feel like she needs to realize how lazy and stupid her boyfriend is. 

I did want him to leave because I felt like he had violated my trust. We did start talking about separating and splitting up, but he has no where to go. We spend most of the next 4-6 hours in separate rooms of the house, him watching TV and me crying. During that time, my daughter had gone to her boyfriends with much of her stuff. My husband did finally come and apologize for his blow up, saying that for some reason "the stars and the moon all just aligned into the perfect storm, and I lost it" He said that he thought it was "the sight of her playing a stupid video game with him (her boyfriend) because she has never been that type of kid". I did get her to come home later that night, for him to apologize for calling her that name. She listened, would not talk to him, and then went back to her boyfriends. I did finally convince her to come home later that night. 

However, we have had 4 extremely tense days in our house together. She doesn't want to be in the same room with him, won't talk to him unless she has to, doesn't want anything to do with him, and feels like I have taken his side and don't defend her. I have tried to listen to both of them and figure out what the right thing to do is. I have not forgiven him yet. We have been going to counseling for about 2 months. I feel like the counseling is just a joke with him, because he did it with his exwife and feels like it is an attack on him. I feel like there has been more said to me on what I need to change. 

I don't know what the right answer is --- do we split up? Do I try to find a way to make it work for the next 5 months until she leaves for Basic Training? Hope that it improves? I know I shouldn't let my children dictate my future, and I do love my husband, but I have lost a lot of respect for him this week. 

Can you give me your take on what you would do? I know you don't have the whole story, but from this quick view into my life, I would appreciate your thoughts. 

Sad

sadinsd's picture

lll

CANYOUHELP's picture

My SD has done about everything under the sun she could think of to embarrass me and undermine me and my marriage, but I would never call her names like your DH did; out of basic respect for myself, if nobody else. Even if you are a weakling parent, you could not be any more weak than my DH who listens as they insult he/us, never responding regardless.

I do not like his DD at all because she has given me very good reasons; I did try and never succeeded. I stay away from her to give peace to my DH/me; (who does not deserve it, given he is a wimp).  If you are not parenting your child properly, that is one problem; spouses expect reasonable support, especially in their own homes.  But, on the other hand, if he is flying off the deep end, having these man tantrums, calling your DD abusive names, etc., I would refuse to live with him, period. This is an abusive situation for everybody involved. You and your DD deserve a better, safer emotional environment.  Time apart with counseling might be your first step.

PS... I do fantize about using those awful names in the recesses of my mind, even dreams--- but I always and will always--- keep my mouth shut.  He is my DH, even with his family dysfunction, I realize he loves her...it is the right thing for a spouse to do, I believe.

SteppedOut's picture

Agree.

His outburst was not only directed at her, but at you too. Letting you both know what he thinks of you/about you. 

But remember, his thieving kids are fine, YOU are just blowing things out of purportion in regards to them.  You know, in YOUR house. 

Seriously, a blow up like that out of nowhere because she was playing a video game with her boyfriend? 

Also, why is he so darn worried about if your daughter's boyfriend has a job?

oatsnhoney's picture

His first sentence was crossing a line. “Tell that little F)(:er”. That’s before he lost it. In my world, it’s not ok to speak like that. And it’s shocking that would be his first comment in a convo. The blow up and all he said after, is awful.

maybe you don’t decide immediately about divorce, but I think I would ask him to leave. You need time to think. Even if some day you get back together, he will know that behavior is a no go.

he sounds like a loose canon and a bit scary to me. Has he had flip outs like this before? 

Rags's picture

Why would you continue in a marriage with a profane juvenile non man who would erupt as this asshole did at your daughter.  He ambushed her, she stepped up and defended herself and he lost it.  

He.... is an asshole and a child.

beebeel's picture

Yeah, your DH was out of line, but so was your daughter. Did you tell her she was wrong for telling your husband to "shut up" and "fuck off" and scream at him (all said before he called her a cunt). Did you expect her to apologize? 

You are a "soft serve" mom if you allow her to behave like this with no mention of how unacceptable it is. I can completely see how your husband is at the end of his rope if you immediately threaten to kick him out for reacting badly to your daughter's disgusting display of disrespect.