You are here

I swear...she is engaging in biological warfare!

mom2five's picture

This is the third time in not too many years that this has happened.

Stepkids goes to visit mom for a week and a half. Mom calls to let us know that stepdaughter has developed "a cold". She gets off the plane, and I immediately know it's more than a cold. I take stepdaughter to the doctor....and lo and behold, she has the flu. The real deal lab confirmed H1N1 freakin' flu. Plus, she has developed bronchitis as a secondary infection.

I spend the next three days trying to get the poor kid well. And then BAM...my temperature is 104.

I swear her mother intentionally gets her sick and then tells her to make sure she kisses and hugs all over me for the next few days.

*sigh. This is day 4 of the flu for me. At least I am finally feeling like I might live. I'm telling you it's just like the white settlers giving the Indians the smallpox blankets...biological warfare in my own house!

mom2five's picture

I am a huge believer in flu shots. This year, the pediatric clinic was out of the vaccine when I took the kids in. They told us to come back next week when the new shipment came in. I didn't want to get my flu shot until the kids got theirs. Sounds silly, I know. But I just couldn't do it.

Then the day before our flu shot appointment, my youngest came down with Strep. Uggggg!

Then I got the flu.

It's good y'all got the shot. The doctor at urgent care told me that they are seeing tons of flu already. And lots of nasty complications. I went back in yesterday because my chest was really hurting. I have pleurisy thanks to the flu!

MadeMyBed's picture

My SS10 ALWAYS comes to our house sick- and we only see him about every six weeks! Also he comes with the longest, grossest, diretiest fingernails! Makes me sick to look at them!

T.O.'s picture

eeewww!!! i thought mine was the only one that came with nasty long dirty finger nails .. and when asked how come 'he' hasn't cut them (I don't bad mouth BM in front of him) says BM can't find the nail clippers. I mean who only has 1 set of clippers with 4 people in a house ... and if your spawns nails r looking like freddy kreugers ... go to the $1 store and buy a new one! Biggrin

RaeRae's picture

Skids BM gave us all the gift of the flu a few weeks back. Was a pathetic story, really....

She went to the ER the night the kids came back to us, and texted DH that she was in the ER. He didn't text back. She later emailed him saying she had an upper resperitory infection. He did not reply. Skids called her, and SD9 told her she left her unicorn there. BM took it upon herself to show up at our door the very next day, still sick, "unable to drive" so her boyfriend drove her (yes her boyfriend, not her husband), to bring the girls unicorn. She rang the doorbell, it was totally unexpected. I looked out the peephole and said that it was their mom and went back to sit down. Skids went to open the door, and she stood there, waiting for DH to pet her for being sick... his back was to her (we were all eating our holiday lunch at the table), he glanced at her and went back to his food, not saying a word. Kids all said 'hi', SD got her unicorn, and BM kept standing there. DH finally turned his head and said 'are you TRYING to get the kids sick?' so she left.

SD13 was majorly sick within a couple days. Went to doc, and it was the flu. Which of course had to go through DH and me, and all 8 kids....

DH then emailed her and told her not to show up at our door unannounced again, and told her to never bring her boyfriend here again. We did not want the felon to know our address in the first place.

mom2five's picture

Unbelievable, RaeRae. Why would she come to your house knowing that she had the freakin' flu?

I know that kids get sick. My youngest has had one thing after another this year...Strep, Fifths, Flu, all within weeks of each other. And since the kids live with us, it's inevitable that they are going to share illnesses.

But why...why would she call to tell my that SD is coming home with a "cold" knowing full well she was much sicker than "just a cold"? I didn't take her temperature at the airport, obviously. But I did give her tylenol as soon as she got off the plane because she felt really warm to me. When we got home, I took her temperature...102.3. And that was almost an hour after I gave her the tylenol. Can you imagine what her temperature was while she was on the plane? The child has asthma...that's not even safe. Not to mention all the poor passengers she exposed to the flu. And it's not like she is a very young child...I get that they run high fevers sometimes. She is almost 15 years old.

Her mother is an idiot. She didn't want to have to keep her for another few days. There is no other explaination. Sad since she only sees her kids for a few days twice year at the most.

RaeRae's picture

That's sickening. A mother's instinct is to take care of her ill children. A flight is enough to make anyone sick... to put an already sick child on a plane is terrible. Poor kid.

I could not believe the attention my skids BM was trying to get from my husband! First, she NEVER shows up at our door. She NEVER brings items back to our place, even much-needed items (shoes, for one). To show up sick with a freakin stuffed unicorn?? And to text and email my DH about being in the ER and having an upper respiratory infection, come on... just say 'I have a cold'. Or, 'I have a bad cold.' I'm assuming the ER did not run a flu test on her. My husband and I are not idiots. It was very obvious she was begging for attention. Even to the point of exposing the whole household to her illness by showing up at our door.