You are here

I can't face this...

falaise's picture

I have a DSD7 who spends 50% of her time with us. In addition my DH and I have two younger kids together and I'm pregnant right now.

DH was never married or in a serious relationship with DSD's Mom. The pregnancy wasn't planned, my DH didn’t want a baby and by all accounts, it was a pretty awful time. Bio-Mom resisted contact at the beginning in all the usual ways (levied abuse claims at my DH) and regular contact didn't start until my DSD was 2. This has progressed to a point where my DSD is with us at least 50% of the time. DH and Mom barely speak. DH is a good dad and a good husband but he does work a lot. DSD's Mom is more than happy to leave me to deal with all my DSD's school stuff, haircuts, dental apts, extra-curricular activities etc. I'm not going to lie, this doesn't always sit comfortably with me. I work, I study and I've got little ones of my own so my days are already pretty full. Things came to a bit of a head a couple of years ago and I told DH he needed to step up more with DSD. He has done so and when he’s home, he takes charge of her care but the fact remains; if it’s during (his rather long) ‘work hours’ it’s deemed my job and I if I don’t do it, nobody will. Because my DSD is so close in age to our own kids, we've always done our best to treat her equally. So as I’ll attend my DS's sharing assemblies or whatever at school, I'll attend hers too (because neither parent will go). She fully expects it and rightfully so I guess. I went to parents open afternoons for her on my own twice last year.

She’s a bright kid and does well at school. Her behaviour on the other hand (at school and home) is not so good; she’s attention seeking, scheming, dishonest, selfish and unkind. Every single parents’ meeting we’ve ever been to has centred around her lack of compassion towards other kids, her inability to share and to let others have a turn to speak, her need to be in charge etc. The word ‘bully’ has yet to be used but I don’t think it will be long.

We are supposed to be moving away at the end of this school year - about 4 hours away from where we are at the moment. The move was my idea - I've been offered a good job there and it's nearer my own family. The plan was for my DH to keep a small home here so he could spend extra time with my DSD during school time. My DSD was supposed to be spending the majority of school time here with her Mom and the majority of the school vacations with us. To be brutally honest, I was quite looking forward to the idea of having my DSD when my DH was on holiday too so he could be mostly responsible for her. I was also looking forward to just having my own kids school stuff and activities to deal with each day and being able to spends more time with just them. Actually I think the only way I’ve been able to carry on doing what I do for my DSD for the last couple of years has been because I’ve known there was an end in sight. Let me be clear, I do what I do purely out of a sense of responsibility and duty towards my DSD and out of love for my DH. I do not, I don’t think, love my actual DSD. I’m not proud of myself for it but that’s my truth.

DH is now talking about going for full residency so that my DSD spends school time with us and school breaks with her Mom. He thinks my DSD's quality of life is going to deteriorate once we leave. He may well be right but if he does this, it's going to be a very hostile take-over... Mom isn't guilty of abuse. Her personal life is chaotic (she’s currently pregnant and has just moved in a new boyfriend – not the baby’s Dad) hence I don't think my DSD always gets ‘put first’ but she does love my DSD, far more than I do... DSD isn't outwardly unhappy at her Moms (although there has been a lot of upheaval there recently and some problems are simmering). Whether that will change when we go I don't know. It is true that we do the majority of organizing playdates, taking her to after-school activities, organizing her birthday parties, remembering school cake sales, performances, parents’ meetings etc and a lot of that stuff will fall by the wayside once we’re gone.

Am I wrong for not being more supportive of my DH in this? It's a side issue but I can't bear the thought of the inevitable court battle and the accompanying expense either...especially as the outcome is far from guaranteed. I have told him how I feel but he’s certain this is him ‘doing the best’ for his daughter. I can’t really argue with that or can I?!

Please say I can and tell me how....

herewegoagain's picture

If he finances the deal, he needs to put the same amount of money into an account for your kids together. Not your kid's fault that daddy has decided to do this now. Sorry, it is something he should have thought about BEFORE he had other kids, yes.

Unless the BM gave up full custody, no way that I would spend money battling her in court. Odds are that he would not win and your home would lose lots of money.

svillemomof4's picture

You have been honest with your DH and that is all he can ask of you. Perhaps now is the best time to try and mend that relationship with your SD. Therapy is a huge help. I don't mean to say going to someone who is going to say one person is wrong and the other is right, more like a medeator. Someone who can help you work through why you don't like your SD and why she acts like a brat. I am blessed to have a dad raise me as his own, love me like his own, and now after more than 20 years, he is closer to me than his own. It doesn't always work out for people like for me but it could.
Perhaps your SD feels neglected in some ways. And don't think that she can's sense that you don't love her. Her acting out, being a bully, is not ok for any reason but you need to think of why she acts that way. Perhaps it is because she feels like she has to shove her way into peoples lives to get the attention she craves? It is so hard being a SD but I also know how hard it is to be a SM. I have found that it will get better in time. But if you stand btwn a man and his kids you are risking your marriage. You must find that line you are not willing to cross and stand firm. But he has his line too so be prepared.

falaise's picture

Thanks ladies, for your responses and your honesty.

Deep down I do know that us moving away is going to be awful for my DSD. I've been telling myself her Mom will just have to step up if we're not around and that would be good for everyone but I know the reality is, she may well not step up...

I'm desperate to be nearer my own family. I came here originally on a temporary work placement after coming out of a long-term relationship. My DSD was an infant when I met my DH and he barely saw her. It was me that encouraged him to carry on fighting for decent contact - I didn't want him to one day resent me for taking him away from his child. It was always our plan that we'd stay until he had a good relationship with his daughter and once the bond was strong, we'd move back to where I'd come from. It was a stupid and naive plan made by one new parent and one non parent but it's a plan I've been hanging on to. I also assumed at the time that BM would be a great parent....

I do get that my husband is saying he wants me to be her full time parent...am I flattered? Not really. I've struggled it with 'parenting' my DSD for years; I've done a parenting class alone to help me deal with it and my DH and I attended a step-families workshop together. Both helped me rationalise my feelings towards my DSD but the feelings remain unchanged; occasionally I have a good day with her and we 'click' but mostly I just pretend. Outwardly she has everything my other two children have but I don't check on her before I go to bed or feel my heart do a somersault when she's had a tough day at school. I find it hard to separate the resentment I feel towards her BM and to a lesser degree my DH from my feelings for HER - the resentment seems to get transferred and I need to change that. Therapy could help; I will investigate...

I think Sueu2's suggestion of my DH talking to my DSD's Mom about her coming with us may well be a sensible one for him...it's a long shot but the more I think about it the more I see it's possible BM may actually prefer my DH to have DSD during school time. With a new baby on the way and a new relationship to nurture, it may be more convenient for her. I don't know... If she fights though, I agree, it's unlikely my DH will win and he'll probably burn some delicate bridges along the way.

Which leaves me with the age-old problem of needing to do something about the way I feel about my SD.

Has anyone successfully learned to love their SC? Is it possible?

svillemomof4's picture

I really love my two SD's, 21 & 19. We have been a family more than 5 years. It has been hard at times but we all bonded pretty quickly. I think it was due more to the fact that at the time their BM had never had a real role in their lives and I am either all in or all out. I jumped feet first, school events, doctor appointments, school projects, homework, friends, shopping, advice, etc. They finally had a "real mom" that they could depend on. They were 14 & 16 when we got together, just barely, so they were almost grown. I would've thought people with the younger SK's would not have as hard a time as I once did but I am finding that isn't the case.
All I can say is try and do what you can. But your SD being with you doesn't sound like the best thing for any of you, except the BM. Perhaps moving without her would be a good thing. It wouldn't hurt to have six months without her, then let her spend the summer with you guys, or just a few weeks of it. See how it goes. It will give you a much needed break and may be a good start to fixing that relationship.
Your DH won't win unless she neglects and abuses the child or is a druggie. Unless she just gives her up to him, she may with the baby. But from what you have posted a break would be good for you and DH. I wish you the best!

svillemomof4's picture

So are you saying that a step parent can not love a step child in the "noun" sense of the word? Just trying to wrap my head around it.

svillemomof4's picture

Ok, just thought I would ask instead of jumping to conclusions. Makes sense. Good way to look at it too Smile

Tuff Noogies's picture

yes it is entirely possible, but is not a given and should never be assumed.

"love (noun) them like your own" is not guaranteed, and no one should ever be thought of negatively for not having that feeling

svillemomof4's picture

I agree, it should never be assumed and one should not be judged for not having that feeling. However, I see so many new step parents who don't even try, the OP is NOT included in that observation(or anyone here). I see many people who don't want to try. That is what I have a problem with. If you don't want to be a step parent from the start then don't date a person with kids. I am not applying this to the people who have tried and just can't make it work for whatever reason. They at least tried! And I do agree with some others, some kids really are not loveable to anyone other than their bio parents. Sometimes not even by them.

Tuff Noogies's picture

Absolutely!! getting into a step situation is hard enough, but u have to be willing to try within the limits of your own boundaries.

some DH's that set ultimatums "u MUST love (noun) my child as your own" don't get it.

however i can see where it absolutely could be a deal breaker if the step does not love (verb) the skids, if they dont demonstrate the action of love in their dealings with them. it's similar with respecting authority - "i may not like you as a person but i respect the position u have and will treat u as such". (i'd also require it in reverse, u may not like me but i require respect me as dh's wife). a step parent may not like the skids, they may annoy the shit out of you or piss u off to no end, but they are part of DH.

if the situation is so horribly bad that one can't get over their own feelings of animosity towards skids, then perhaps that's not the place they need to be. it takes strength and humility to admit that.

(hmm, lets see how much flack i get for this comment }:) )

falaise's picture

I spoke to own Mom last night. She's much more relaxed about it than me. She said of course she and my Dad didn't love my DSD like their other grandkids but they had no problem being KIND to her...so they mark her birthday and other holidays in the same way for her as they do for the other grandkids. They don't, she said, put $ aside for her college fund and they haven't included her in their will but they would always be kind to her.

I think the reason I get so wound up about it is because like a lot of us, I went into this wearing rose tinted glasses. I genuinely believed I would love my DSD like my own. Then of course I had my own and realised nothing could ever come close! I'm pretty sure I told my DH I'd love her like my own too or at least gave him that impression. I have a lot of shame around not being able to live up that promise. He knows now that I don't and that I won't. I don't think he holds it against me but I'm not sure he understands why either.

Kindness is a good word; I need to focus on being kind to my DSD. Continuing to love her in the 'verb' and accept that it's OK that I don't love her in the 'noun'.

Funnily enough, I had a much better day with my DSD yesterday after digesting all of your comments... We even managed a cuddle at bedtime..usually something I leave my DH to do..

falaise's picture

Cheri - that was an amazingly helpful post. Love as a verb, love as a noun....my new mantra I think!