You are here

Boyfriend dumped me because I yelled at his son.

Tessellate's picture

A bit of background on my situation: boyfriend and I have been together almost 2 years. We live separately, and he has custody of his boys (9 and 15) every second weekend. We've all gotten very close since I was introduced to the boys a year and a half ago, and I leave the primary parenting and disciplining to my boyfriend. He is not yet divorced, but has been legally separated for 4 years.

About a month ago me, we all went to all weekend long music festival. The weekend was wonderful, with no issues with either of the kids. The children however, were supposed to be with an adult at all times. My boyfriend and his youngest decided to go off to buy a t-shirt.The 15 year old was with me, but was at a cell phone charging station and I was just lying on the grass staying cool and keeping him in my sights.For whatever reason, decided all of a sudden that he needed alone time and just took off without so much as looking at me or saying anything to me.

I took off after him, but he got swallowed up by the crowd. I initially wondered if maybe he had gotten a text from his dad asking him if maybe he wanted a t-shirt or something like that. So, I just went back to where I was because that was our meeting spot. When my boyfriend came back, he shrugged his shoulders and ask me where his eldest was. I said I didn't know comment that he had just taken off, and that I thought maybe he was with him.

I texted his eldest to ask him to please come back, as his dad needed him, and he responded by saying that he needed alone time. My boyfriend is at this point getting very angry and frustrated comment and because I was the only one with a working cell phone, I kept texting him asking him to please come back. He said if my dad's angry, I'm not coming back. I reminded him that the only rule he had for the weekend was that he was not to just take off and be alone. He said I don't want to come back, just leave me alone. He finally texted me back saying that he was back at the campsite and that to leave him alone.

This did not sit well for me for many reasons. One, the ex wife would somehow make it my issue or my boyfriend's issue as she is very protective of the boys. While I was concerned about him, I wasn't concerned about the needing to be alone, I was concerned that he had broken the rule and just taking off as this would mean dire consequences for the next concert that he was supposed to attend. Also, we were having a great weekend, I don't understand why he suddenly needed alone time, and plus I didn't want him to ruin what had been a fantastic weekend up until that point.

I told my boyfriend I was going to get him back, and took off towards the campsite. When I caught up with the kid, he just said to me "Really!? I can't get any alone time here?!'. I told him no, you're not allowed to just take off, you know the rule. I told him his dad was really pissed, and then if you knew what was good for him he come back before his dad arrived. I was yelling.