You are here

uopdate on snotty adult SD visiting for Easter long-weekend

stressing's picture

Well, she is here,  yes indeed. 

Honestly things are going  a whole lot better than I expected and feared. We have been eating out at outdoors places because the weather is decent;  so far no drama there and I have been able to drive to meet them separately so I always can get away if need be. Once, I went early to get a good table;  another time, due to a "prior commitment" (thanks forum) that delayed me, I went late;  another time I Just texted "will meet you there soon" and did. 

I am using ALL your advice and applying it.  So far so good.  I basically say nothing (greyrocking works well so far! Not perfect at it yet though), and I act pleasant as if to a stranger, very polite but no engagement. She liked the gluten free vegan cake with the "Welcome 'Anna'" decoration on it but did not thank me (fine, no worries, just don't criticize and mock it, that's ok ---see the low bar we have to set). She and her dad are right now playing chess (thank goodness it is a long game), and I'm in here on the computer. My friends have kept up the phone calls to me so I have been able to excuse myself several times over the past couple of days, and take an hour out of the room.   

Haven't had to "weed the garden" or "run an errand" yet but the phone calls from friends have really helped me stay out of the way. 

If it continues like this (praying hoping begging the wide universe that it does) I think I can get through it til Tuesday night when she leaves.  But like many of you have expressed, I am on guard the whole time, constantly bracing myself for the worst, which does make it an un-relaxing five days.

No complaints about the food so far (almost all restaurant food, though, as I said I am not cooking for someone who clearly hates and criticizes anything I make, and DH accepted this);  no put downs about the house or my clothes or hair or anything (except one:  that my hair must get frizzy in all this humidity---I said "yes, it sure does!"  I have thick wavy hair and it does frizz badly, and was in fact frizzing at that time, eating outside in Spring humidity.) Oh one putdown about my car: "Why would you buy a car like THAT?!"  I said, "well, my old one finally died, I needed a car, and bought one!" and laughed in an apprently relaxed way (acted like I did not think it was an insult, which it clearly was) and sat down and asked for a menu etc. totally ignoring her/the remark.

Otherwise all is ok. SO FAR.  Just wanted to check in here at the half way point and thank you all again for the great advice you gave me from all your hard wrought experiences, wow.  Thank you for helping others!

Let's see: about 60 hours to go? Maybe less.  I could hang upside down by my toes for that long, eh??

Take care, everyone, and I hope you all have a good long weekend!

JRI's picture

It's a pity we have to use this technique because it's the opposite of developing a close relationship.  But, it works with toxic people.  One person likened it to how we would behave with a troublesome co-worker.  Polite and civil because circumstances dictate we must interact with someone who we would otherwise not have a relationship with.  I use this with my SD60 for DH's sake.  In different circumstances, I would never have anything to do with her.  A superb coping technique.

Survivingstephell's picture

Just looking back at her with dead eyes when she makes another snarky remark , making it awkward for her takes no energy, and could possibly be entertaining.   Glad our advice is working for you.  

Rags's picture

Shake your head, give her a Tssk, and a "Well bless your sweet little heart."  Anytime she pulls her crap.  This should fit well with your greyrock disengagement.  It sends a message that your DH should track readily and at worst will confuse the toxic spawn.

A classic Southern matriarch tactic played to perfection by my own mom and many other confident matriarchal types in the US South when a jack ass pops up in their lives.

Happy Easter!

caninelover's picture

Its almost over and sounds like you are doing a great job at grey-rocking the toxic SD.  Treat yourself to a nice reward when she leaves - a nice bubble bath with a book and glass of vino works well for me.

Good luck with the final day...

stressing's picture

Well, thanks to all of you, I got through it, with a combination of grayrocking, simple flat answers, laughing it off, and vanishing for long periods (and always having my own car for an escape).  Was hoping to have some funny stuff to share but it mainly just fizzled out.  On the last day I also did this thing with my cell phone:  I set timers to send me alarms that had the same ring tone as my phone, so I could excuse myself and take a "phone call" away from them. I set these at irregular intervals, like an hour and 22 minutes;  thirty seven miunutes;  an hour and 48 minutes, so that it wasn't obvious, and I would go into another part of the house and close myself off and rest for a little while, read, just take a break from them. 

I think basically she is a lot better at age 31 than she was as a teen and college girl, because she has been living on her own  for a few years now, and having to live with the consequences of her brattiness. (I am inferring some of this, and she never came out and said this, but she has apparently found it hard to make and keep friends; not at all surprising. She also got fired from a job for "insubordination"!! She was very reluctant to talk about that, hah, though eager to brag about all kinds of other things.) 

She is still an entitled, bossy, spoiled, ungracious, rude, selfish Bxxxx. She hides it a lot better now than she did as a teenager and college kid, but it still comes out.  DH and BioMom created this monster, but thanks to all of you, I have coping skills. And I do have some clear boundaries in place: she does not stay with us, I do not cook when she is here, and I do engage in social time wih them, but I limited it severely.  She is an exhusting presence in the house and even DH said he was relieved she's gone! "She's exhausting" he volunteered, and I said "Yes: why do you think this is? I agree, but I wonder what it is about the visit that made it so exhausting for us both?"  No answer.  Hmm. I am so glad we have a very small house and no guest room or sofabed. Making sure it stays that way.

Anyway, thank you all so much. There's no way I can reciprocate or give back (because I don't have any wisdom on this topic and really struggled even on a short visit like this, which is nothing compared to what many here are going through) but I admire you all for managing everything you do, day after day and week after week; it's pretty awesome to read around on this board and see the strength and cleverness at work. I feel so grateful to have found this forum. Hope you have a good Spring, everyone, wherever you are!

CLove's picture

The feelings of empowerment are shining through in your comments Biggrin