You are here

How can we stop paying stepson's mobile phone bill

Painter21's picture

I haven't posted here for a while, my now 19 year old stepson had to move out due to his aggressive behaviour towards me and my issues instantly cleared up after that.
We have had dire financial problems, and I am supporting the family on my wage, barely making ends meet.
I find out recently that I have been paying my adult stepson's mobile phone bill on a plan that my husband signed up to when he was still in high school. I was furious as he has a job, my husband said he asked him to pay his bill (about $60 a month) but he refused.
The catch is, we have to keep paying the phone bill until the plan runs out later this year but if we say he has to give the phone back he might be motivated to pay it. I said if he refuses to pay for it, tell him to give the phone back and my husband said he won't. Can we get the police to force him to give the phone back? Or at least threaten?
We have two children of our own we have school bills to pay for and I don't see why I am paying for this kid who has never shown me any respect.

neskajy's picture

I think it is too much involving the police over a cell phone and over a $60 bill.

I would threaten to take him out of the contract and contact the phone company to find out how to remove someone from the contract. I am sure it costs money, but your step son doesn't need to know that in reality you are trying to avoid paying money to remove him. Let him think that you will do it.

The only catch is, if he decides to "test" it and to try and not pay, then you might indeed be faced with the situation in which you may need to consider removing him from the contract even if it will cost you something to do that.

Rags's picture

No need to get the phone back. Call your mobile company and drop the line. You will still likely have to pay out the rest of the contract but SS-19 will learn in a hurry that he is now on his own. You can ask if the carrier will split the plan which may get you out of paying SS's share without some kind of contract period penalty. It does not hurt to ask. The phone is probably locked and won't be usable with any other carrier and if SS wants to use it he will have to get his own plan. If he wants his number he will have to roll it to his plan.

End of drama and end of financial responsibility once you pay out the plan period.

kathc's picture

^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Even if you're paying for a termination fee on that line, it's doubtful that it'll be more than paying for the phone until the end of the contract. AND make sure that it's put in your name so your dumbass husband can't go reactivating the line or adding a new one!

Powerfamily's picture

Why are you paying all the bills, why isn't your husband helping.

Cut all bills to the bare minimum, get rid of any pay per view TV. Get rid of his phone line and anything else you can. If your DH doesn't like he can get a job/second job.

Powerfamily's picture

Why are you paying all the bills, why isn't your husband helping.

Cut all bills to the bare minimum, get rid of any pay per view TV. Get rid of his phone line and anything else you can. If your DH doesn't like he can get a job/second job.

Tuff Noogies's picture

call the provider and report the phone as missing. they can suspend the service but keep the account active for a much smaller fee. also ask what the early termination fee is, and do the math to figure out if it's financially better for you to suspend service or just cut the line altogether. think about your household budget too - some people simply cant swing a lump sum payment, and even if it's more expensive may choose the much smaller monthly fee as it will take out less from their monthly expense.

mystical7's picture

If it's Verizon you can log onto the website and shut the service off to it, while still paying out the contract. Let him keep the phone and just shut it off. That would motivate him to pay for sure. I did this many times with my BS when he acted like a little prick.

Aeron's picture

Then suspend service on the line. You don't have to ask for or get the phone back to cut off service if he won't pay. Don't involve the police, don't threaten to take the phone. Tell him he ponies up his portion or he won't have service. You'll still have to pay for it if he doesn't but you're sort of stuck with paying something anyway.

LikeMinded's picture

You are being used.

I agree with the others. Don't say a word, just stop paying it period. Stop paying for cable, internet and other luxuries too.

DH will get the bills and when he does, tell him to get a job.

When DH grows up and gets a job, he can start calling the shots again. Right now he just needs to shut up and say "thank you"for whatever it is your paing.

SS is not the problem here, he's just following DH's lead... and using you.