You are here

20 yrs later - it absolutely does NOT get easier!

Dogma's picture

I have been married for 22 years now (2nd marriage for both). I had 2 daughters (now 29 & 31); he had 1 daughter (30); and we have 2 children (son-20 & daughter-19). But I'll try to make a long story short. First let me say, I met my husband long after his divorce and his first wife is now married to the man she was cheating with. For whatever reason, my MIL seemed to like the ex and my SD better than me, my husband (her only child), or our children. This contributed to problems with my SD. My MIL passed away last summer. My husband inherited everything, but my SD seems to think she should have. We have not heard from my SD since my MIL's death, except once when she called to ask for money. She did actually get $13,000 that was meant to pay for the funeral (another long story - we ended up paying). BUT, we just learned she has gone into my MIL's house after being told clearly not to. I am furious and don't know how to reconcile my feelings. Oh yeah, she was also asked not to bring her mother to the funeral but she was there at calling hours before us and stayed after we left, right up by the casket. My husband wouldn't even go to the front of the room because she was there. Ugh.

Dogma's picture

Thanks! That pretty much sums up my feelings, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one that sees it that way Smile

Dogma's picture

I actually asked my husband that very question and he said "I'm concerned she would break a window to get in." There is something very wrong with this picture, not to mention that she is committing a crime! The problem is that the rules just don't apply to her, or her mother, and never have. I realize I can only deal with my reactions. I have tried to figure out exactly WHY she bothers me so much as we have very little actual interaction. I'm just so angry!

Dogma's picture

The house is in a very rural area about 45 minutes away from where we live - 3 hours away from SD! It is in pretty bad shape and FULL to the gills of "stuff." We have been getting things out little by little but it's a huge undertaking and we both work fulltime and then some. Selling it is the goal but there's no way to make it quick.

Dogma's picture

And, the estate has been settled. The house now belongs to my husband. But for all SD knows, it could have already been sold "as is" and belong to somebody else. It just wouldn't matter to her!

donna123's picture

Make sure the insurance on the property is up to date reflects its actual value including all its contents. I agree change the locks. Inform SD that it is your property and if she breaks and enters again you will be laying criminal charges against her. Then install a motion activated camera. Doesn’t matter why MIL didn’t provide for her granddaughter… she didn’t. Doesn’t matter one iota what SD thinks should be hers. Not one penny or one item belongs to SD. That is just the law. She can stamp her feet forever more, doesn’t change anything and if she doesn’t want to add a criminal record to her list of unsavoury attributes she had best get that through her head and start making amends with you two.

Dogma's picture

I didn't even think about the insurance. That's a good point.

As for g-ma not providing, I think SD got plenty while she was alive. I'm sure that's part of the rub - learning to live without g-ma's money. And it's not like g-ma had a lot. She didn't.

As for making amends, it has been done time and time again but always ends badly when the relationship no longer benefits SD. I think at this point I am just need to be done. Her dad will have to do what is right for him.

And I have to find a way not to be angry or upset, which is much easier said than done.

BTW - I love the quote at the end of your post!