You are here

What rights do I have as an ex step father?

cbrsrfr007's picture

I have a 16 year old step daughter that I have helped raise for 8 years. Her biological father has never been in her life. I am the only father she has ever known. We have a great relationship. Her mom and I have been divorced for 5 months now. She has allowed me visitation on a regular basis. I need to know if I have any rights with her? She wants to come live with me but her mother says "hell no". Does anyone have any advice for me on this situation.

Disneyfan's picture

You didn't adopt her,so you have no rights.

When you move on and remarry, chances are your new wife will not like having your exwife's kid hanging around.

LAMomma's picture

Nope.. You have no rights. My husband raised his ex wife's son as his own for 5 years with no other Dad in the picture and now he's 10. In our case she cut ties so be glad she's still letting you see her at least.

hereiam's picture

Sorry, since she is still a minor, there is nothing you can do.

I would suggest that you not alienate your ex over this so that you can at least continue your regular visitation with your SD because the ex could stop that at any time.

Yosemite's picture

I would check with a lawyer in your state. I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that here in Arizona, former stepparents or anyone who can show they stand in loco parentis (basically means they have acted as a parent) to the child can request visitation with the child and even custody, but for custody you have to prove the natural parents unfit.
However, each state has different rules and obviously some other posters live in states where you have no rights.

cbrsrfr007's picture

Thanks for the replies. I figured as much. I am grateful I get to see her. I plan on keeping good relations with my ex until my SD is 18.

neskajy's picture

It is a creepy though, but I hope she doesn't have any romantic fantasies about the relationship (and possibly more so if there are in fact issues with the mother)

Cocoa's picture

May I make a suggestion. It's wonderful the love you have for your SD but PLEASE don't drag an innocent woman into this relationship. Before you begin a romantic relationship all ties with your ex needs to be cut. If you are willing to put your needs on the back burner until this child ages out I think it's wonderful.

Rags's picture

None. You have no rights. You can however have whatever relationship the kid agrees to have with you and your XW will allow. Until the kid turns 18 then your XW has nothing to say about it legally.