Relocation

etyler's picture
Forums: 

So, I just need some advice.

My BF has a 7 year old daughter who has been split custody for about 3 years now. BM has her Sun-Wed and we get her TH-Sun.

BM also has another kid with another guy and then she decided she was going to move to Georgia to be with her middle school, yes, middle school sweetheart.

Long story short, we agreed to a "trial year" and the arrangement is no support, and we get her all of summer and all Christmas.

My question is, do you think we could have won the custody fight if we tried? We have never been successful with the courts as they always tend to favor the mom but no we just feel lost.

Not sure what to try or do at the end of the year. Has anyone had success in winning court when BM although crazy, was not on drugs.
She just moves between men ALOT.

I do have to say that we talk to SD 3x a week and I have been involved in her life for a long time. Most people tend to think that you can't long distance parent, but I think you can. We are just as involved as BM is.

Anyway, this is my first post.. and I just wanted some ideas/feedback.

Thank you!

happymostly's picture

I think you guys could of had a good shot at winning against relocation, especially being so involved as you were (having split custody) moving away can put a strain on the relationship with the children and I think the judge would of most likely stopped her from moving the child away if you guys would of fought it. If after this 'trial year' goes by and bm is not agreeable anymore, then it will be near impossible at getting the child to live with you guys because it would become the 'status quo' that the child didnt see you guys as often, unless bm screws up royally. I hope it all works out for you guys.

etyler's picture

Yeah. Most people seem to think we had a fighting chance, I was just afraid to go to court and come out worse off.
They say if it is for remarriage that they usually let them go...and we knew they would get married if it came to that.
I don't know. I hate the whole situation and I do not feel as though there is any easy way to deal