You are here

SS11 wants a nook/ipad for Christmas.....Is this age appropiate for him??

swstepmom's picture

I am just not sure if he is mature enough for this responsibility yet? He has a DS and has lost the parts (charger, pen, etc.) for it. Not to mention if he drops it then it would break a 215 dollar gift. I don't mind getting some nice things for him but I just don't think he's ready for this item yet. Any ideas or suggestions?

swstepmom's picture

That would be perfect! I am just worried that much freedom on the internet might lead to some really awful things. Especially since it is not supervised and he doesn't live with us. We only get to see him on the holidays, so I wouldn't be able to help him understand the responsiblitly fully. Thanks so much for the suggestion! Where did you see that one at? I would love to get him just a "reader" because he does enjoy the technology a lot!

swstepmom's picture

Thanks. He is really a good kid but he is just kind of clumsy ya know? Like most kids I'm sure, but I just hate to get something like this if I don't feel it is age appropriate for him. I also want to be able to get a few other things for him but at that price he would only end up getting the one gift. I don't think he is old enough to understand that either.

liks's picture

someone on here wrote once that the big ticket item presents they give the skids stay at the house they come from....i.e.....they dont get taken to the BM home....I think its a great rule....I brought expensive snow gear for one of my skids...the other refused to be with us and didnt want to come to the snow with us, so he missed out....but I told the child, he leaves it all here for when we go up to the snow again, and so it sits in the garage in a bag with all our ski gear.....

hmmm...let me just double check on that....cos if that little shit has taken it to his mothers...Im gunnu be very pissed off... Sad

swstepmom's picture

LOL! That would suck if it got snuck out of the house! That's a great idea but I don't think it would work because my dh would want him to take it with him because we don't see him very often. He would only get to play with it a few times a year if he left it here Sad

alwaysanxious's picture

Ask yourself if you want your SS11 having unlimited and unsupervised access to the internet or games out there?

My answer would be no on the ipad. I don't know the capabilities of a nook. So I'm not sure about that one.

ThatGirl's picture

I don't think he's really old enough to have an Internet connected device with a camera, if he'll be using it unsupervised. So many parents get their kids iPods and iPads without realizing the capabilities. It's pretty scary. You could, like others have suggested, just get him a reader. But that might be a total waste if he isn't going to use it because he really wanted an iPad.

I'd also discuss your purchase with his mother ahead of time (if you have that sort of relationship). I absolutely hate it when BM sends skids over with inappropriate gifts, making me out to be the bad guy for not allowing use in my home.

alwaysanxious's picture

very true. people don't realize what these electronics can really do.

Doubletakex3's picture

You may also want to think through an allowance for the downloads. It's add up fast.

I'd be okay with a reader (and blocking all but books sites on the internet) but not an iPad.

liks's picture

Forget the ipad/nook thing....how about a magazine subscription to something like dinosaurs or other style of age appropriate reading material.....ipod nano might be ok.....Im pretty sure you cant get on the internet with them....

shayj's picture

I actually purchased a NOOK for my 6yo. (well my dh said its for me).

She is able to play games and access Nick Jr on the internet. They aso have an awesome app that will read a word to her if she touches it and she dosent know how to pronounce the word. She has a monthly allowance which she uses to purchase new books and apps each month. I actually like it and it has been a lifesaver on road trips.

StepOnMe101's picture

I would say NO to the iPad. Not only because it costs $700 but also because it is internet equipped which could spell trouble down the road with a boy. Go with a kindle! No harm in reading! I want one myself Smile

Shaman29's picture

Hee...hee....get him the Black and White Nook or Kindle. One that just downloads books, newspapers and magazines in black and white. Assume he wants the Nook/Kindle for reading only.

I actually bought the no frills Nook (B&W) for reading only at work on my breaks and when traveling. I love it. It's light and I'm no longer carrying half the library with me when I travel.

3terriers's picture

iPad no, Kindle or Nook probably OK as long as doenloads are managed as rewards or allowance

stepinit's picture

I have a Kindle and I love it. Just make sure you don't attach a credit card to it that can be used without a password, charges can add up quick. If he has a Kindle you can manage the content on the Amazon cloud reader from a laptop or desktop. You could even read the book along with him and then talk about it later. My cousin who is overseas does this with his daughter and they love it.

swstepmom's picture

These are ALL such wonderful suggestions! Thank you sooo much! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being an "evil stepmom" because it is what he asked for and my dh and I were already looking an ipad type thing for him but after thinking it about it later I realized that it might not be the right thing to get him. He does really like to read so I nook/kindle would be perfect though! Thanks again!

lac925's picture

My SKIDS are the same, they each have the DS and they want iPads (or whatever new electronic device is at the moment). But seeing how "careful" (NOT!) they are with their current toys, we won't be spending that much money on them in the near future. Pretty much everything they get, they break (or they will get mad at each other and break each other's things). This Christmas, we're just getting them new hockey skates (since they're both in hockey) and are putting up a skating rink in the backyard - that way, nothing can be broken! We also follow the rule of: Whatever they get at our house STAYS at our house, and vice versa. We got my SD8 a new MP3 player for her birthday, and foolishly allowed her to take it home to her mother's. Well, within a week, she lost the damn thing! So NOW, nothing goes back, ever!