You are here

New Puppy in the Family

Annoyed_step's picture

I have only had cats my entire adult life. I finally decided I wanted a dog for their companionship and to do more outdoor activities with my DH. I have a SD 14, we have her four days out of the week and I do not have a bios of my own. I let my DH know and he was excited because he has wanted a dog for a while. Since we were splitting the purchase I didn't have any issue letting his daughter come up with a list of names for the dog. I choose a name from the list. That was a mistake. Before we got the dog she was already telling everyone she named the dog. We were able to get a dog more quickly then we expected. I was a little hesitant with getting it this early since it's summer and his daughter would be alone with it Mon-Wed and we had a vacation planned for the end of July. But it was a good opportunity and I agreed to get it. We picked it up for the airport and during the ride home we took turns holding the puppy. But since we have gotten home she basically has hogged the new puppy. Yesterday and today anytime the puppy is in her lap she says look he loves him, look he really likes me, look, look. My MIL and FIL came over and she was saying the same and they humored her but reminded her it was my dog. I trying not to be petty but I'm annoyed that I have to wait my turn for my own dog. And when she gives him up she tries calling him back.

twoviewpoints's picture

You could always take your puppy to doggie daycare Monday-Wednesday this summer. Drop puppy off on your way to work, pick puppy up on your way home.

Annoyed_step's picture

Thanks, good point. We need to make sure it's protective of the entire family. The doggie care would be a great idea for the vacation instead of bothering all our family members.

Alaskan Klee Kai.

ETexasMom's picture

Get her to start potty training it! That will help her get bored of the puppy quick!

kathc's picture

Don't worry about it. Yeah it's annoying but my skid did the same with MY dog years ago. He can barely stand skid, follows me like a shadow. that dog isn't going to turn into hers because she's hogging it right now, animals know who really takes care of them.

Last In Line's picture

I'm having a hard time even understanding why this is a problem...you have a puppy, and a person who wants to spend time with the puppy. When this person leaves, the puppy will still be there. As many times as we hear tales of kids who mistreat animals, I can't understand at all why you are upset that a kid is excited about a puppy and wants to "claim" it. And honestly...the dogs I have had have always made their own decision about who their person is, regardless of who was supposed to be the "owner".

Pick your battles carefully.

notsobad's picture

I agree with this. Dogs pick their person but it's not always the person who is the owner.

We lived with my BFF and her family after the divorce. The family dog, that they'd had for years took to me. He followed me around, I could walk him without a leash, he'd sleep in my room sometimes.

It really upset my BFF. It was her dog and she felt that I must be putting bacon in my pockets or giving him treats when she wasn't around.
Because we were friends we were able to talk about it and it was all okay but if I'd been anyone else, I'm not sure that she would have gotten over it.

When we moved out, the dog was back to being her dog, but he was mine whenever I visited.

Rags's picture

You will ulimately have more days of the week with your dog than the Skid does. This will be YOUR dog.

Don't make this a monumental issue when it is not really one.

Congrats on the new fur baby.

ksmom14's picture

It's great that she likes the puppy, but I can understand it being frustrating that she's hogging him. Try not to let it bother you, as you'll have time alone with the puppy when she's gone.

A couple things to help the pup attach to you more, is to be the one feeding it, and taking it potty! If a dog consistently gets food from you, and only you, they are bound to at least really like you Blum 3

Maxwell09's picture

Don't worry in a few weeks she will be over it. Silver-liniing at least you know she isn't a sociopath that will hurt the poor thing.