You are here

Just have to vent a little

wriggsy's picture

Ok...so last night..we had a full house. Because of some needed extra time at work, BD and I have been staying at DH house (this allows me to get up early and get to work while BD sleeps in), anyhow...we have been at DH's house this week. Skids realized that BM wasn't going to take them shopping for clothes for school (that starts next Monday), so they finally decided to come to dads house so that he will take them shopping (DH and BM have a VERY open schedule..the skids get to choose who's house they want to spend the night at each night). Anyhow..so our combined 3 kids, plus a niece who spent the night in DH small house last night. Since I am getting up at 3:45 in the morning, DH and I head upstairs a little before 8 pm. Before going upstairs, we remind all the kids to keep it quiet because our room is right above the living room. I also put my next day's clothes downstairs, because I get ready in the bathroom down there to keep from waking up DH too early. I exit our room to take my things downstairs and BD is playing in the hallway--which irritates me because we just asked them to be quiet and she's playing right outside our door! Then, I hear SD downstairs telling BD to turn off light in hallway...when BD tells her she's in the hallway and the light will stay on "thank you" and I hear SD saying "Don't cop a fu**ing attitude with me...that's bullsh*t". They are both 13!!! I call SD out on the language, but because it's SD, I go tell DH to take care of it. He goes to her and before I know it, he comes back saying "I'm worried about that girl...she says she hates her life". I can't believe that I just told him that I heard his daughter using words like f*ck and bullsh*t and that's all he had to say. Not a raised voice, no discipline..no anything. I am not naive, I know kids cuss, but it's ridiculous that she wasn't disciplined for it. Then, I get to listen to a couple hours of doors slamming as the 4 kids go to a bedroom or to the bathroom and back. Running up and down the stairs. I had just gotten to sleep when at 11 PM, SS comes running down the hall yelling for dad. He is laughing, so it's obvious that the kids are playing. I get pissed and say "Are you sh*tting me?" and DH shushes ME! Then I say "Dammit" and he shushes me again! He did go get on to the kids (for the second time that night!) but I just can't believe that he shushed me! The bad part is that I am a VERY light sleeper, so most any noise wakes me up. So, now I'm awake again and as soon as his head hits the pillow...he starts snoring again. I'm not quite sure how much sleep I was finally able to get, but this is going to be a crappy day because I am in such a bad mood!!! Then, when I come downstairs to get ready, every single light is on, the TV is on and SS is on the couch asleep. AND the downstairs area is a complete disaster! Cups, glasses, discarded clothes every where! I can't stand a dirty house and I generally try to leave it somewhat clean when I go to bed, and then also clean after myself when I finish getting ready in the morning. This is how it is when skids are at DH house...no respect for anything!!!

stepmasochist's picture

You guys are married and have / live in separate houses?

Your evening sounds like a nightmare. I know it's difficult when you have to go to bed and the kids can't keep it down. In our house, the kids would have gone to bed at 9 like we did. In fact, they're 6, 9 and 11 and we've been sending them to bed no later than 9:30 and waking them up around 8 a.m. trying to get them adjusted toward's their school sleep schedule.

Also, I can't believe the kids don't have a more structured schedule than staying wherever they feel like it that night. That would drive me batty.

Jsmom's picture

You need a set schedule. This coming and going as they please is BS. You can never plan a life around that. Your DH is a fool for allowing it to continue. It will get worse as they are teenagers. Put your foot down on that one. Otherwise, stay at your own house. I do like the idea of two houses. Wish we had done that from the begininng. We are considering it if SD14 decides she wants to live here again.

wriggsy's picture

Well...now that school is about to start back up (Monday), I think we can get back on some kind of schedule. That's what is the funny thing about DH and myself. We are schedule fanatics! He just seems to lose his wonderful brain when it comes to his kids. He has always felt like it was better for the kids if they want to stay with mom one night...ok fine...want to stay with him for a night...good deal. It doesn't help that BM is a nurse that has a differing schedule...could work one day during the day, the next day she could work midnights. She also works in two locations, so one day she could work in town, the next day could be the location 2 hours away. I also think it has to do with the fact that he sees their time with their mom as a break for himself, unfortunately, the older and more demanding they get, the more likely he is to let them go to their moms as often as they want.

During the school year, BD13 is in her room by 9 and lights out by 9:30. SD13 and SSstb12 have the same thing, but they sleep with their TV's on, so no telling when they finally fall asleep!