You are here

income tax interception

colormeblue2013's picture

Well I am new here but I need to vent! Anyone else dealing with your every dime of your tax income refund getting taken for child support? Even though what we were suppose to get back was because of our child?

Oh no! That just sux!!!! Seems so unfair! Especially while everyone else is buying big screen tv's! Lol!

sunbeam0901's picture

If your spouse owes back support, you can file an Injured Spouse form with the IRS. It basically tells the IRS that you aren't responsible for that debt and once they process it, only your spouse's portion of the return will be applied to the debt. It takes longer to get your refund and you can only paper file it, but its worth it. I'm not positive but I think you can still send in the form even after having filed. Its worth calling about.

my ss14 lives with his mom and due to my dh an her never being married he has zero rights but has to pay a lot of money that gets taken from his check weekly... my dh and I have a child together and he is my only child. There are a lot of other underlying issues too due to bm keeping my ss away from my dh for several years....lots of other issues too. I am a stay at home mom and I work from home too, really was excited about that extra cash since so much is already being taken.

Disneyfan's picture

Your husband has rights. Having a child out of wedlock doesn't change that.

Please don't believe that story about BM requesting his refund. He didn't get the check because he owes back support.

herewegoagain's picture

All that needs to be done from now on is make sure you NEVER get a tax refund again. Figure out the taxes with the irs online calculator so that you OWE a couple of bucks...no sense in the IRS keeping your money tax free all year long anyway...

Orange County Ca's picture

Either he honestly owed the money or it's a mistake that can be corrected. It may take a very long time but he can complain to the bureaucracy.

If there are mitigating circumstances a judge will have to agree.