You are here

How many of you have everything seperate, and how does it make you feel?

Butterflykissesandlicks's picture

Sorry to be a blog hog but just thought of something else.

Do you and your DH / DW have everything as seperate or do you have anything that is "joint?" Do you know if everything was pretty much joint with their ex? How does that make you feel inside?

I'll admit, I have been really hurt. Everything is completely seperate with us. There is not one thing with both of our names on it. Nothing.

Yet I have the honor of checking the mail everyday and seeing both DH's and his ex-wife's name on several things still together. Yes, it hurts. This is my 2nd marriage and my ex-H and I had everything together in one pot. Everything, and it made the bond more intense, IMO.

What are your stories and how does it affect you personally, good or bad?

(yes, he knows how hurt I am.)

mashpeebonusmom's picture

We have things completly seperate. I decided this for myself since my last relationship we shared everything and I ended up getting screwed. The house has always been in my name, bought it when I was single. So all my bills were always in my name. Except for one of the cars that was joint. Well guess who got stuck with that when the relationship didnt work out. yup, me. So from now on my stuff will stay my stuff and his will be his. If we do marry, anything new we concur will be ours. You have to protect yourself first. Thats what i've learned

skylarksms's picture

We have the house, a checking account and both cars in both our names.

All other bills except his one credit card are in my name.

He is wanting to get a separate checking account. I was against it. Now I am for it (for him and me both!) and he doesn't seem so eager anymore.

Oh yeah, he was taken to the cleaners. The ex got the house, car, credit cards, C/S , you name it.

I have never given him a reason to not trust me or view me as his ex. Not in years. Every cent I make goes to bills and food.

We don't even have each others names on the damn car titles. Seperate insurance policies, you name it. He gets the new car,(dependable), I get the old car. Both were ours before the marriage but still? He did but his ex-wife a brand new car in 07', right before she filed for divorce...yeah.

DH seems to be in no hurry to include me in anything. Yet he trusted a thief before.

hbell0428's picture

We tried accounts together - no luck; I felt like I had to "ask" for $. I have everything in my name, car, account, bills.........I feel better this way; I guess it's what works for YOU.

Do you know I would not even have any form of access to his account if something happened to him? He has never added me or even gave me the info the access it online? Yet I hand all my money over to him?

It's not so much about money guys, as it is about trust and love.

Bojangles's picture

If you are payiing money in, you should absolutely have access to the account. I think as a minimum you should have a shared account for household expenditure and bills. A lot of divorced Dads seem to be protective of their money having been stung once, and have to be pursuaded to share from a practical and trust point of view. Mine kept his finances hidden for a long time because a. he was used to managing the money in his first marriage and b. he had got into debt and didn't want to let on.

hbell0428's picture

They have insurance that takes "care" of you upon sudden death; you should look into that - as far as handing him your money; I wouldn't do it; unless it is equal; you need some rights too......... Smile

Ugh, sorry~

Since I feel more like a roomie than a wife, I plan to pay only my half of OUR bills. Not his "extras." He actually asked me today to pay the rent so that he could make his "new" car payment. It is a very high payment too.

Ummm. Paying the rent and buying food for 4 all month way weighs out my half of the bills....

hbell0428's picture

I FEEL your pain about the bill thing; I make less than half of my FH and after all is said and done - I am broke (WE have the same bills)

I try to explain to him that yes we have the same bills but when you pay yours - you have a bunch left - I have none. So in a way I think things should be divided; but it would be nice if it was realistic... Good luck

mashpeebonusmom's picture

In my last relationship, everything was in my name, i owned it all as a single gal. We started dating and he handed me all his paychecks. I was better with money and since all the bills were in my name it made sense. Then we got 2 new bills which was fine until he stopped giving me his checks. I've been paying fist over fist for the last 3 years just to stay afloat and he has been out of my life for over a year. Still have 2 more years on both truck payments...lesson learned

ThatGirl's picture

We aren't married, but have lived together almost 3 years. We keep separate accounts. We both work. I pay mortgage and utilities on my house (one of my sons lives there while going to college, he reimburses me for utilities), SO pays rent on the house we live in. I pay electric, phone, internet, TV at our house, he pays natural gas. I pay car insurance for both of us, he pays the motorcycle insurance. We both buy groceries, cover our own car maintenance and gas. We didn't specifically define things as separate and dibby things up, that's just how they fell into place. It works well for us Smile

I hear you guys but I can't be the one who pays the high rent and buys all the food while he pays only on the electric and cable? See? My "share" comes to 650.00 a mth. not 1200.00. I've got to break this to him somehow. It just is not fair. I wish I had the "extra" to make new car payments.

What bothers me worse is that years ago, right before he met me, I found an old email to his mom talking about how he could not afford to live on his own and keep his new car, pay C/S, eat even.
He mentioned "finding" a roomate but was not fond of the idea.

Thanks guys for all the advice. I just wrote down all of the "needed" bills and divided it by half and put it in an envelope, with only my share in it to go along.

Now, he thought that I was going to just hand him over all of my monies to put in "his" account. No.

He is getting half and that is it. I need some of my monies if it is going to be so seperate.

Thanks guys for all the advice. I just wrote down all of the "needed" bills and divided it by half and put it in an envelope, with only my share in it to go along.

Now, he thought that I was going to just hand him over all of my monies to put in "his" account. No.

He is getting half and that is it. I need some of my monies if it is going to be so seperate.

tofurkey's picture

Our insurance and our phones are together I think purely for a discount. Besides that, everything is seperate. We even got a prenup to state that everything remains seperate. We had to do this to prevent ex from ever being able to screw me over. It sucks, but if it protects me oh well.

love for animals's picture

All the bills are in my husbands name. Our house is in both our names. The bank account he had b4 me, his ex was on it to. But taken off when they divorced. My name is not on that one but we have another joint account together! I didnt want my name put on the other one, he had way to many problems with his ex and still writing bad checks.

TexasBelle_80's picture

DH and I have just about everything together. I own a house in another state that bought before we met. DH says he feels like it's not his but I try to keep him involved since it's rented out right now. Everything else is together minus a few credit cards. We are paying those off and then canceling them and opening new accounts together. He is in the military so during deployments for a year I HAVE to have access to everything. I have power of attorney on everything. I'm even on his account with child support so I can handle those things as well. My previous divorce was friendly. We didn't take each other to the cleaners so I guess I don't have a bad experience in my past.

Asher10's picture

Everything is separate and I LOVE it that way.No arguments about money and I don't have to see my cash turned over to SD and biomonster.It's a beautiful thing.I embrace the separate life because then I have no resentment and no bitterness for his past that he pays for in the present.Instead of feeling like a roommate,feel empowered that you are an equal partner literally and figuratively.Mami' be bringing home the bacon e'ryday.that's right Wink

Eyes Wide Open's picture

Separate....and I actually charge him "rent" each month! YES, I do!!!! Rather than argue over who's paying what, etc. etc., we came up with an agreed upon amount. He writes me a check, I deposit it, and use it to pay bills or whatever I want. No problem. He doesn't have to pay individual bills because I take the "rent" money and pay everything.

As far as his exwife on accounts...he still has her on the bank account (after 20+ years of divorce). At first he said she needs to be at the bank with him to close the account (like she's never in town or anything!) and then he said that he's got "ready credit" on that account so he can use it as a "loan" if he needs it. Funny, I have that on my account, too, so I'm pretty sure if he removed her from the account, he'd still have it. Hey, whatever...if he wants to keep psycho whore on his bank account that's fine with me! I did remind him that she has every legal right to clean him out, too. Nonetheless, I'll be expecting the rent each month whether the X wipes him out or not! :0)

iwishyouwould's picture

Mostly seperate. This is both our first marriages, but we have such wildly different ideas about money that we agreed it would be disaster to combine everything. He likes to spend, I like to save (to start with) and seperate is best. I have my checking and savings accounts, he has his and we have one joint that is locked in a CD that neither of us can touch without penalty for another 24 months; when time is up we'll add more money to it and plop it in another joint CD that we cant touch. At the moment, i am a student and do some tutoring and he works; my parents pay my half of the bills as long as i am making good grades and in school. Eventually im sure we will have a different dinamic financially but we will probably still keep seperate accounts. We still argue a lot about money - i get mad cause i think he should have spent his extra money on the three of us going out to dinner and he spent it on more tv channels (150 werent enough???). He gets mad cause i told him i didnt have any money to go to the mall cause i put it in a savings account for xmas presents (so youve got money!!!). Its just the nature of the beast i guess.
BM and DH never had anything in both their names. Actually bm has never had anything in her name, joint or otherwise - she lives off of boyfriends. They lived together for about six months, dh kept all the bills for records and they are all in his name. BM didnt work her entire pregnancy. minivent, sorry: what doctor would tell a perfectly healthy 17 y/o pregnant with her 2nd healthy child that she needs to be on bed rest and not work? minivent over. I get kindof sick to my stomach when i see their names together on legal documents, probably just disgust that he had anything to do with her.

wriggsy's picture

Since my DH had the better bank (credit union), when we got married, I dropped my checking account and put my payroll into his (our) checking account. He deals with all the financial aspects...pays the bills, deposits into our savings account. He's wonderful with it. I did keep my own savings account, though, and have a small amount direct deposited into it every payday. DH knows about it and actually encouraged it. When his ex took off, she left all her credit card bills, hospital bills, etc with him and it took YEARS to get everything paid off. I had my own credit card issues, but I got it cleared up. We both kinda refuse to be under that much debt again. IF we have to charge anything...it's a "no interest for X amount of time" or we don't get it. Of course, vehicles are another matter...

Even though we have joined our finances (and he always makes sure I know where we are on bills, too), we don't share a home. My DD and I continue to live in our own home. There are many factors for this...but the two biggest reasons are the skids and lack of room in his house.