You are here

Enabling

Unhappy's picture

I am so irratated with SO at the moment. Does anybody else have issues with their steps being clingy? It drives me nuts. SO's BS(4) and BD(6) are incapable of doing anything on their own. We put them to bed and their up several times when they know their not supposed to. If they don't get what they want watch out. They follow SO around. We can't go out in the garage for more then 3 seconds without them before their knockig on the door to get his attention. Can SO and I have a conversation out in the living room without them bugging him? Hell no we can't. When it's time for his BD to go to bed all of a sudden she is scared because of some movie she watched 2 weeks ago. What does SO do? My poor baby. What does BD learn? I can do this every night and get daddykins to sit in my room with me. These kids have no idea how to be independent. They are always up his a$$ at all times every other week for 7 days straight. Sometimes I wish he never had kids. Or at the very least taught them how to entertain themselves.

Thanks for letting me vent.

CowGirl's picture

Both my Skids have been or are like that. SS15 stopped being like that in the last year or so and yes SS15 was still holding BF's hand, following him around, cuddling at almost 14 yrs old. SD12 is still like this. IT DRIVES ME NUTS!!!! BF will go to the bathroom and like 10 seconds later SD12 says where is my Daddy? SD12 & sometimes SS15 still call BF "Dada". If my BD12 was like this i would go insane. And yes - my BF enables this and coddles them.

CowGirl's picture

I just say to SD12 ... I think BF is in the bathroom ... you can go check on him if you like? She just gives me a funny look and shakes her head no. If he takes the trash out or goes outside for any reason & i tell her he's outside she stands by the door waiting for him. It's all strange to me. The best is if she text/calls A LOT and he doesn't answer right away ... she's start texting me asking me to tell her Dad to check his phone. Haha.

CowGirl's picture

It's the guilty daddy syndrome and oh poor skids .. the divorce, blah, blah, blah .... UGH!

Auteur's picture

Ok here are the unofficial warning signs and whether or not your SO finds it "oddly flattering" will determine the success of your relationship with him:

1. Does your man allow co-sleeping with his children? (aka the kiddies routinely jump into bed with him at night)

2. Does he have to lie down with them to get them to sleep?

3. Do the children seem somehow "stunted" socially? Do they have poor hygiene habis, eating habits, bedtime habits?

4. Does your man subscribe to the "one big happy family" model? (expects you to love his children as much as or more than him)

5. Does your man have the "inability" to say no to his children?

6. Do his children seem overly "hyperactive" to you?

7. Does your man say "just relax; you worry too much" or "Everything will be just fine" if you bring up a legitimate concern

8. Do the children seem "overly needy" demanding that dad spend 24/7 with them? Do they physically lay all over him and go bonkers when daddy steps out of their peripheral vision?

9. Are they unable to do age appropriate tasks or want dad to do things that could easily be done themselves?

10. Does dad seem overprotective of his children; unwilling to let them try things out on their own?

11. Has dad said things like "I don't want to make waves with the BM b/c it will affect the children" or "we'll take the high road" when faced with blatant BM stepping over boundaries.

Unhappy's picture

I get that all the time from FSS. SO's no where to be seen. You better find him so he can't have a minute to himself. SO was super sick a couple of days ago and that little boy still wouldn't leave him alone. Even after I closed the bedroom door and told him to stay out he just waits for your back to be turned so he can go in and bug SO while he was sleeping.

Does anybody know what makes kids like this?

Auteur's picture

Here are some explanations:

1. PAS from the BM ("don't ever talk to or be around 'that whore' by yourself")

2. Coddling and babying on the part of both bioparents which leads to a constant dependence upon said parent; child is unable to self-entertain, go to the bathroom by himself well beyond potty training years, etc. Must have daddykins watching everything he/she does or "help" with the most mundane, simple tasks.

Auteur's picture

And for the EXTREME babied skid, actually FOLLOWING their parent into the bathroom!!!

All three of GG's kids have done that. When I tried to put a stop to it with Prince Hygiene (when he was almost 7) he turned around, pointed his chubby, filthy from ass mining finger at me and said "YOU get me my ICE CREAM NOW!!!"

Needless to say I dressed him down QUICK about the hierarchy under my roof!

Unhappy's picture

I will say yes to 3, 5 sometimes, 6 is a hell yes, 7, 8 for sure, 9, 10 if you make any comments about his kids, and 11 for sure. This just happended last night when FSD wanted to talk with her mother. When she got on the phone she told the evil ex that daddy wouldn't let her call her last night becuase it was after her bed time when she asked to make the call. And the ex told her that she can call her whenever she wants. I made SO send an email about how she does not have any control over the rules in his house and to stop undermining him. SO b!tched the whole time about how he didn't want to make any waves and how everything is going so good and she is leaving us alone now. I just don't get it. Crossing a boundary is crossing a boundary. It needs to be addressed or it will just get worse.

So what does all this mean?

Auteur's picture

"So what does all this mean?"

Like I say. . .More than ONE? RUNNNNN!!!!

You are headed for a life of sheer hell; believe me!!

Unhappy's picture

1. PAS from the BM ("don't ever talk to or be around 'that whore' by yourself")

How would this make the kids like that? Is it PAS towards me or SO?

Unhappy's picture

How does more then mean a life of hell? I love me SO but his kids drive me nuts. If it's not one thing it's another with them.