You are here

Anyone have skids on meds?

redheaded_stepmom's picture

I'm just wondering if anyone else has problems with their skids/bkids not taking meds like they should. I'm talking about 14 years old and up. My SD is almost 15. She is in weekly therapy and has been on prozac for depression/anxiety for over a year. In the last two months the doctor has also started her on Concerta for her diagnosis of inattentive adhd. SD has recently been caught not taking her meds like she is supposed to. We got her a pill box and we fill it every week for her. All she has to do is remember to take the pills that are in the slot for whatever day it is. Well, she hasn't been taking them for two weeks. We have talked to her about how important it is that she take them as directed. Today I find out that she has been taking twice as much prozac as she is prescribed. I asked her why she would do that and she said she thought it would help her catch back up or work better that way. So now we are going to be handfeeding an almost 15 year old her meds every day like she is an invalid or something. I understand that there should be supervision there, but she should also be able to take some kind of responsibility for this, even her therapist thinks that. The therapist is the one that suggested we get the pill box. I feel like she either doesn't care about being better anymore or she doesn't think the meds are doing her any good so why take them. I asked about how she feels about the meds and why she can't just take them like she is supposed to and she didn't really give me any kind of answer. I don't know what else to do for her.

epgr's picture

SS almost 13 just started concerta for the same reason..he can not even wipe his ass, I certainly dont trust him with the meds. so we, sorry I, hand feed them to him.

starfish's picture

if she is this irresponsible --- hand feeding may be best and safest.... maybe after a month or two of being treated like a two year, she may step up......

Yeah, it'll definitely be me doing all the hand-feeding. God forbid DH have to be bothered with making sure his own kid is taken care of. BLAH!! Soooo irritating!!! Sorry, had to get that off my chest. You're both right, hand-feeding is probably the best option until she pulls her head out of her ass and figures out how to do it for herself.

May those that love us, love us.
And those that don't love us,
May God turn their hearts.
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May He turn their ankles
So we will know them by their limping.
~Irish Blessing

starfish's picture

and don't be holding your breath for her to get that head out of the ass...... could be a while

No worries there...I've been waiting over 6 years for that to happen. I've just about decided it's impossible.

May He turn their ankles
~Irish Blessing

Thank you, Steve. I will talk to DH about him making sure she is taking her meds like she should. I used to work in the medical field, so I know about having to push the meds on uncooperative patients. The ones with Alzheimer's were always the worst. Thank you for your advice. You always have such great feedback to give. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

May He turn their ankles
~Irish Blessing