You are here

Am I being heartless??

fatetitch's picture

My Skids BM this past year has been diagnosed with breast cancer (stage lll). Dh has since then moved this kids Skids: Sd15 and both twin boys (Sss 13) in our home full time. I had to disengage from his kids due to lack of respect from them earlier, but I felt sorry for them with all that they've bee going thorugh, so I decided to re-engage..All three of them are in thereapy to help them process what has been going on with BM. Dh makes sure he spends indiviudal time with each kid, and all three of them together, so that they know that dh loves them and will always support them. For the most part with me, they're poliet, but there a little disant, but I let them know what if they ever need someone to talk to, or what/need anything ,  just  to let me know. Dh doesn't ignore me or our 2 year old daughter either. Somehow he manages to make time for everyone. 

My "issue" is that Dh has become Bm's emotional support thorugh is whole situation. He takes her to her appointments, drops her off at her house, he will take the kids to go see her, spend time with them, and bring them back, will call her everyday to see how's she feeling. I've expressed my concern to him, saying that we should be helping Bm as a COUPLE, i.e taking care of the skids, so she doesn't have to deal with unnecessary stress. He told me that she is the mother of his children, has to be there for her. Bm has other friends and family that are looking out for her- her parents visit her everday, her siblings (older brother and younger sister) also call her on a regular basis and spend the night at her home. I find it inapportate how much Dh and Bm communicate with eachother. It's almost as if, they are married and i'm just a stranger. There is no need for him so involved. 

We've gotten into many fights where I told him, I would like him to not be so invested, and he's called me heartless and cruel. And I always find myself feeling gulity. I've spoken to my own family, and  they all sympathize with BM; saying that she is the mother of his children and it nots werid for him to be so involved. i didn't say I don't feel bad for her. Let's help her as a COUPLE, but I'm made to look like a horrible person by everyone. 

Notup4it's picture

Wow, what an uncomfortable situation for you. I agree that you should help her as a couple if you chose- taking care of kids, maybe even helping her run errands, etc.. And that is very kind and generous. 

DH shouldn’t be her main source of emotional support through this- that is disrespectful to you and your marriage. What would he think if one of your ex boyfriends was ill and you were doing the same? 

The kids is where it stops for me. If one parent is having a more difficult time in life because of any reason I think the other parent(s) should step it up with the kids- but that is as far as it should go. Just because you had a kid with someone doesn’t make you indebted for life to this person. When you think about it.... it would not be acceptable if they had been married for 20 years and had no kids- people would look at that as almost adulterous behaviour but because they have a kid it is all ok (even if they were only together a year or 2).

it just puts you in a horrible spot, either you are forced to tolerate it or you are being viewed as heartless or irrational. 

Let me say for the record... I would not expect nor want my exH to be so involved if I was in that situation (even if I wasn’t married to my DH now)— all I would expect is for him to help more with our DD. 

ldvilen's picture

I guess I'd have to ask what happens after chemo., remission and so on and those appts. are no longer needed; or, what happens if it comes back?  I don't take responding to this lightly, as at one time I worked on breast cancer guidelines and my own mother suffered with breast cancer (Stage III) at an early age.  Thank goodness she survived and is now in her 80s.

This is part of what makes step-parenting so very difficult.  Much like your scenario, imagine if you were on a sinking boat and your DH could either save you/ his wife, or his ex-/ the mother of his children, but he could not save both.  (Let's say you and your DH had no children of your own.)  Who should or would he save?  Even tho. this is your husband, your partner for life, the one you exchanged vows with, I can assure you, there are many people who would say he should save his ex-, the mother of his children, because his children need their mother.  You, Pfft!  And, that is what some would say.

The answer to that question is not so easy as some like to think.  Many people out there just think about mom and dad and the kids and what they are going through.  A lot of people do not realize that SM (or step-dad) gets dragged into the middle of everything and anything the initial family is going through.  Thus, the initial family, usually with a little bit of work or outreach, can get the support they need.  SM or step-dad, well. . .  as usual, they are supposed to suck it up and take it, even though they may be suffering just as much, but in a different sort of way.  And, THAT is what very few realize or want to realize  Most are not lining up to support us; most are lining up to tell us to suck it up.

Thus, as a SM, you need to try to find your own resources, such as an empathetic counselor; or, even coming here to vent can help or at least help you to realize that, no, it is not you or just you.  I'm sure right now you are feeling like you are a stranger in your own marriage, and you are certainly not alone in that feeling.  I'd recommend trying to look at the situation as objectively as possible, because I strongly believe that a SM's instincts on what is right or wrong in her marriage are usually spot on.  Does he really need to call her every day?  Does he really need to take her to all of these appointments?  I do get him taking the kids to see her, tho.  Does it seem excessive to YOU.

As a married couple, you are supposed to be able to approach your spouse with any issue or concern, and sometimes I find alarming how often spouses, our DH's blow these things off by claiming their wife, their joined-at-the-hip partner is out of it or being heartless or cruel.  This is just me, but I'd start out by seeing a counselor myself, and then, because maybe this is just too new for everyone right now, I'd start to focus on and even try to direct some of the discussions with your DH on what is the future going to look like for you and him once these treatments have ended?  Because to me, that is the biggest question.  I mean, is he planning on being by her side for life now, because you never know what is going to happen one day to the next?  Or, is he doing this first and foremost to make things better for his children?

Intent.  That is what you need to try to breakdown and analyze.  You stated he was spending time with you and your child too.  Maybe his main intent is to make things better for his kids as much as possible.  And, even if that it true, what does that mean for you?  These are all complicated questions (with complicated answers) and that is why professional help would be best.  On the other hand, if you get the strong feeling there is a level of inappropriateness to all of this, in the sense that it is too over the top with him focusing on BM (who is another woman, regardless of whether she is the mother of his children or not), and you feel you are being cheated somehow, then you need to ask yourself where do I go from here.

A long post, but you have a very complicated situation here.  No, you are not being heartless.  And, avoid those family members and buddies who have never been SMs or even close.  They'll rarely get it.  But, do see an empathetic counselor (and don't hesitate to change counselors, if you have to) and try to get at the heart of the issue, and one who can recommend ideas, or even bringing your DH into counseling too.  Whatever you do, though, don't forget yourself!

tog redux's picture

This is a very thoughtful post and I agree with much of it.

I do have to say, though, that if my DH's ex and I were on a sinking ship and he could only save one, he would save me and then shoot the boat full of holes so BM sank faster.  My SS would be better off without his toxic mother, he might have a shot at an independent life.  So not every man would have a hard decision - not every mother is worth saving. 

Notup4it's picture

I was thinking about it more... and it seems almost like divorce guilt. Like living the “in sickness and in health” thing. 

I would be livid.  I wouldn’t express that to other people, but DH certainly would be getting an ear full from me. 

If he was single ok.... but I think he is taking it way too far. 

Like would he maybe like for you to step out of the picture so he can devote his time to her care? 

I really feel for you.

ldvilen's picture

Here is what someone said on the subject on another site, which I thought sounded reasonable: "helping out is cool...'taking care of' is NOT.  ..andif she or he is doing it to 'hang onto' the other any way they can, then no." 

So, do you feel his intent is to help out or to take care of?  Helping out = maybe OK.  On the other hand, taking care of means he is assuming responsibility for.  Very few women want to be married to a man taking responsibility for another similarly-aged woman, much less an ex-. In the US, a man (or woman) only has one spouse--at a time.  BM may be the mother of his children, but, again, this doesn't give someone a free pass to do whatever they want or feel like doing.  They divorced, and he is now married to you. 

You are or are supposed to be his #1 spouse.  The term 2nd wife doesn't really exist anywhere in the U.S. other than in print (or a couple of polygamous sects that are left), but if he now has responsibility for two women, then I can very much see where you feel like a 2nd wife, literally.  It's okay for him to help her out, like take the kids to visit her, but things like calling her every day or taking her to appts. someone else could take her to. . . seems to go beyond helping out.  And, if his ex- passes, and you are suddenly expected to somehow fill her shoes w/his children, he has already made it apparent to his 3 that you are his #2 wife, and thus, lesser of the 2, and why should his kids take you or the marriage between you and your husband seriously if he doesn't?  I'm not saying he is doing it on purpose, but if he is running around trying to make his ex- "comfortable" at your expense, this is part of what his children are seeing too.

Rags's picture

While DH is no longer married to BM she did bear his children.  At some level DH probably feels some guilt and obligation.

If I were DH I would limit my personal interface with BM and increase interface with the Skids.  Fortunately I have not had to navigate the death of a parent or a spouse either X or otherwise.

Though BM is likely dying she is no longer DH's wife. You are.  He needs to be at your side and not hers.

IMHO of course.

Lndsy747's picture

I'm a cancer survivor myself (hodgkins stage III) and have several coworkers have survived breast cancer one even went through chemo while pregnant. I think even stage  III has a pretty high survival rate with the current treatments. I will say that going through treatment is hard and I wouldn't wish it on anyone but if she has so much support from family it seems weird that she's really on her ex so much. I worked while going through chemo and drive myself to most appointments.

I think it's fair to help with the kids but I think he's going further than he needs to to help her out.

secret's picture

The fact that she had his kids does not give carte blanche to be taken care of like family. She needs to find someone else to emotionally support her, and your husband needs to make the distinction between what he is doing and what he THINKS he is doing.

If he wouldn't do it for any if his other past exes, he shouldn't do it for her. Babymom doesn't mean responsibility.

fatetitch's picture

For the longest time I felt like I was inthe wrong for not being able to understand as to why dh has to be so involved with Bm.

I have no problem with taking the skids in full time to help Bm, don't have an issue with dh taking the kids to go see her, and helping her out once on a while. 

Boundaries have been crossed and I would want to re-establish them again. Do I feel bad for bm? Yes, of course. I'm not heartless, but DH is MY husband. He does not need to be her emotional support, i don't mind him being a part of social support, that being said I take issue with him acting like her MAIN emotional support. 

How do I bring it up to him without me looking like the bad guy??

ldvilen's picture

Show him this post!?  Ask him at what point does he stop being her rock, and I ask this because when it comes to cancer, there really is no, "We are all in the clear now, so let's call it a day and all move on."  Try to move the discussion away from you don't like or approve of what he is doing.  Even though you have every right to state your opinion, it appears he will whip out the, "You don't understand," or "You are being heartless" card and think that trumps anything in your deck.  Instead, ask him what he sees for your future together, and flat-out ask him, what or when is his stopping point going to come and you get the husband, the man you married back?

If he says the expected response of, "I don't know. . . I just know I have to be there for her. . ."  Then, it lets you know his intent is to do whatever he wants whenever he wants, and your concerns are of little worth to him (doesn't matter if he thinks your concerns are valid or not; he should still at least recognize that they need to be appropriately addressed).  If that is what he indeed does--continues to give a non-answer or a non-response, other than to blame you--it gives more than enough ammo. to see a counselor, on your own, and I'd tell him to his face that you are doing such.  There is no use continuing an argument with someone who is going to whip out the "I can do whatever I want card because my fill-in-the-blank is ill!"  You are right!  There is no way you can compete with that.  But, neither should you be expected to.  No matter what is going on with either of you, you both still have the right to have a spouse who continues to be engaged in your life, one who sees you and your concerns as worthy no matter what is going on.  See a counselor, and find the right one for YOU.

Lndsy747's picture

You have a good point about there not being an end. While I don't have a solution on how to address this I do agree that once chemo is over it's not the end. That part can be even more emotional because going through chemo you can count down days and treatments and try to take things day by day. I don't know how to describe the feeling after treatment is over. You get there and expect to feel great and like you accomplished something but then comes the stress about what if I have to do it again. Follow up visits are every few months after and they can cause a lot of anxiety too. Where would he draw the line . . . would he draw the line.

My point is that you should try to find a solution now rather than hoping that everything will be over soon. Counseling may be a good idea to have a neutral party help with setting up boundaries.

Notup4it's picture

I am also in favour of showing this post.... or go see a therapist together. I fully understand the gravity of this situation, but you also need to have boundaries as well for your marriage which need to be respected. I think a therapist could provide you both with a lot of guidance on how to approach this.

i think that you sound like a very easy going person and I think that maybe that is a taken advantage of. 

Where is the line drawn here? 

ldvilen's picture

Here is the link to the earlier post.  Just placing it here so others can see and learn: https://www.steptalk.org/forum/general-discussion/its-official-dh-leavin...

No OP, you were not heartless, but your DH is and was.  Given that DH has fallen in love with his "suffering" wife all over again while apparently falling out of love with you, and given that there is a high probability she will survive, I just wonder what DH will feel once she (more than likely) goes back to her ol' self again, the one he divorced?  Maybe they have both learned lessons now, I don't know, but, regardless, I think the one who learned the best lesson was you!  You learned to trust your gut, and you learned that the reason DH and BM were so kissy-face wasn't due to your lack of understanding or empathy, but rather due to them letting their hormones get the best of them.  Now you know you are a good person and can raise a good daughter.  Time will tell what happens with DH and his ex-, but I have a funny feeling in some odd way they deserve each other.  You, on the other hand, go on with your daughter and lead a fulfilling life for yourself and her.