You are here

Rant - SO being ungrateful about pending FIL visit

CBCharlotte's picture

RANT WARNING! Very frustrated with my SO. Backstory: Been together 3 years. His father is coming to visit from England tonight. They have a very complicated relationship and hardly speak (father abandoned his family when they were very young, leaving them homeless and broker, and he's generally an ass). FIL emailed us last week and said "FYI I arrive in the US tomorrow, hopefully I can see you". WHO DOES THAT?! He showed up in the US with no plan, no hotels booked, etc. He emailed us from Nashville saying one hotel wanted $500 and he didn't have that much cash on him. Um, you showed up to another country with NO PLANS and NO MONEY!?

We refused to let him come until this weekend (he's been in the US a little over a week now). He arrives later today at some point (no idea when). SO is out of town on business, and pretty much did nothing to prepare for this visit except stress out about it. FIL can be very passive aggressive and seems to take joy out of "embarrassing" SO. He is a very sad and insecure man who doesn't know how to have a meaningful bond with his son, and I actually pity him.

Anyway, I have been busy with work this week and I'm traveling to two different cities the next two weeks for work, so I've been trying to get a lot done. In addition, I've been running around getting ready for a visitor who I've only met once for 2 hours. I've made sure house is cleaned, all laundry is done, spare sheets and towels in the guestroom, food and drinks bought, dry cleaning picked up, etc. I've even coordinated with his ex-wife (who I get along with) to take the girls (11 and 14) shopping for father's day for their dad, pick SD11 up from a sleepover, take SD14 to dance rehearsal etc. Meanwhile, he's just been sitting around complaining about how stressed he is. Every time I ask if he needs me to do anything else, he says no or I don't know.

SO left on a business trip last night at 4pm. A girlfriend won tickets to see one of my favorite comedians at a small comedy club in town, so of course I jumped at the chance to go. I told him the day before I was planning to go. He called me twice and texted me during the show, and I discreetly texted back (didn't want to comedian to rip me). He WENT OFF when I went home about how he couldn't believe I'd gone to a comedy show when there is "so much to be done" Meanwhile HE spent the night at the bar in Delaware watching sports and drinking and eating a burger!!!I was SO ANGRY about how ungrateful he was. I have a full day working today, but still have to make the time to drop off a donation at the library, go back to the grocery store, get a haircut, mop the kitchen floor, pick up and entertain his 14 year old daughter, and entertain his dad if he shows up before 7:30 (assuming SO has no flight delays)!

When I told him how much nerve he had and listed off all of the things I had already done and was doing the next day to prepare for HIS father and HIS kids, he got so pissed. He said "Stop that. You don't do those things for ME. You do those things for us? I thought we were a team". That is his go to insult. "Being a team" is what he lists as the #1 priority in a relationship, and whenever I do something he doesn't like I'm not "acting like we're part of a team". He worked from home yesterday and I made him breakfast and lunch and cleaned up WHILE working! I work from home when not traveling, but I don't have an easy job. I run the healthcare practice for the east coast (21 states) for one of the largest insurance brokers in the world!

Then he uses his other usual insult/way to bring me down: "We just want different things". We have a large age difference (I'm 27 he's 49), and I acknowledge that we are in different places in our lives. However, the key things we want are the same....to be happy with each other, have happy kids, a happy family, be financially secure etc.

I just have a MUCH more balanced life than him. I am VERY social, where he is not. I run a meetup group in my city for women looking to make new girlfriends, have great friends, a great relationship with my family, successful job, volunteer a lot, gym 4-5 times a week. SO has NO friends in our city outside of a few work colleagues. He only works out if I force him. I dragged him with my volunteering (I bring our dogs to nursing homes and rehab facilities) and he grumbled the whole time. He barely speaks to his family, who all live in England.

He eventually calmed down and acknowledged that yes, I do a lot and I deserve a night out to laugh at some comedy. I mean, the comic was a mormon missionary....the comedy was as clean as you can get and I didn't even drink!

I just get so frustrated. I do and do and do for him and I feel SO DEGRADED when he makes me "list out" all of the things I do. I may make less money than him (Still make almost 100k) but I make up for my lower financial contribution by doing A LOT of other things around the house and in our lives.

I'm dreading his father coming because SO's ungrateful behavior will make me resent them both!

OK End Rant!

CBCharlotte's picture

ALSO my 27th bday is on Tuesday. My girlfriends planned a girls night for me saturday night about 2 months ago. Dinner at my favorite restaurant at 7:30pm then drinks after. I told SO months in advance that I am going and I don't want to hear any shit. I NEVER make plans of my own on the weekends we have the girls, as I make them my priority. This is a once a year issue (my birthday) and it was the only date that worked for everyone. He seemed fine with it then, but I KNOW he is going to pressure me to not go. I refuse. I deserve to have some time off (I entertain his kids alone all the time when he is busy) and I'm not missing my own party!!! Besides, I'm sure I will need a drink by tomorrow night Wink

AllySkoo's picture

Oooooo... I would have seen red at that "I thought we were a team" crap!!! Next time, DON'T list all the things you did. Next time say, "I thought we were too, but when *I* do all the work so my supposed 'team mate' can take all the credit, it doesn't feel very much like we're a team! What the hell have YOU been doing while I've been working?" Make HIM list what he's accomplished!!

CBCharlotte's picture

I genuinely like the kids, so that helps! They were very close to their step-mom (exW#2) but when they separated she said screw them and moved to Texas to be with her boyfriend. She didn't come and see them for 2 YEARS. I'm just trying to be a stable person I guess. I like spending time with them, and the vast majority of the time I'd rather be with them and SO doing "family" things then out with my friends (who are mostly single and drinkers and stay out later then I like).

The good news: SO got home from his business trip and KISSED MY A$$ for the last 5 days. Telling me he was wrong, he's very sorry, I do so much for his kids and our family and I deserve to be appreciated, etc. Seriously like 5x a day all week.

Yesterday was my birthday and our 3 year anniversary. He booked us a surprise NO KIDS trip to The Sanctuary in Arizona for August (#1 rated spa in the USA by Conde Nast). He is NOT a planner so I am blown away!

The weekend with his dad went well....he was shockingly well behaved and we got along. SO has not stopped telling me how wonderful I am and how much he loves me, so it looks like me not tolerating his BS worked!

Rags's picture

Young lady, please don't take that title as a slight, I mean it in every positive way possible. You are a very successful dynamic young professional. Why on this beautiful planet would you hitch your very bright and shining star to this shit wagon?

An emotionally abusive notably older man with the baggage of spawn by a previous relationship and a dysfunctional relationship with his family? Not the partner I would pick for you or envision a highly upwardly mobile young professional with.

I do understand some of the age difference challenges you have in your SO relationship. I am 50, my bride is 38 and we will celebrate our 20th anniversary with a vow renewal and celebration next month. SS-nearly 22 will officiate. She is a graduate degree CPA with her own successful career and I am a mid-level executive and work internationally. DW is pushing the 6 figure income level and like your situation I make notably more. That said, income has nothing to do with an equity life partnership. Equity life partnership is about respect, valuing your mate, making them the undisputed priority relationship in your life, addressing life responsibilities together, etc... However, your own career and notable income gives you a whole lot less give a shit margin with his lippy bullshit.

Vitriolic venting and snarky verbal abuse has no place in equity life partnerships. IMHO of course.

I am glad he stepped up with some notable sucking up and ass kissing. The Sanctuary trip was a nice touch. I may borrow that one and use it as my own when I get on my incredible bride's shit list. Wink }:)

Make sure you keep the he needs to keep earning your commitment more than you need to keep earning his picture very clear for him.

The major sucking up must continue!!!

Take care of yourself and remember, you have far more opportunities then he does.

Good luck.