You are here

When people ask how many kids you have....

dledden's picture

do you include your skids when you tell them? I have a habit of saying I have 2 sons and a skid. I don't think my fiancee likes this very much, but I can't "claim" his son as my own because it just doesn't feel right to me. He will always be a skid to me, never a son, it's just how I feel. I feel evil, but can't help it.

planningMyEscape's picture

Hmm...I always just say I have 2. (I have 2 bio kids and I have 2 skids). I don't feel bad about it, because while SO and I have lived together for 6 years, we are not married, so technically, I am not their stepmom. If we were to ever get married, I'd be like you and say 2 kids and 2 skids.

jadedprincess's picture

MY HUSBAND CLAIMS MY DD5 AS HIS DAUGHTER SO YEAH I CLAIM SS1 AS ONE OF MINE. I ALSO HAVE NOTHING BUT HALF AND STEP SIBLINGS FROM 4 MARRIAGES AND MY STEPDAD WHO HAS BEEN DIVORCED FROM MY MOM FOR 8 YEARS STILL CLAIMS ME AS HIS OWN AND LET ME AND MY DAUGHTER LIVE IN ONE OF HIS HOUSES RENT FREE UNTIL I COULD GET ON MY FEET AFTER A BAD RELATIONSHIP.

oneoffour's picture

"Between us, 6"

Simple, to the point and if you are REALLY nosey you will ask how old they all are. I give you the answers and then to be REALLY nosey (because I have a non-American accent) you ask how long have I been here (7 yrs) and where my kids live (Australia x2, USA and where the Army sends him) and who-the-hell would think of leaving their BBAABBIIEESS (now 29/26/23/20 respectively)in another country and marrying someone in the USA? (Me) What does my ex think?(He is very grateful I married a good man who treats my kids like his own) and will I ever move back to my home country? (No idea, the immigration laws out of the USA stink!).

I don't give details about my SSons because I am not their parent and consider it disrespectful as they have a mother who is a law abiding tax paying non druggie non drinking member of society. And considering the sh!t they have got themselves into over the past few years I would rather not lay claim to them. I refer to them all collectively as the kids or the tribe.

Yeah, "Between us, 6" is the best answer.

hippiegirl's picture

You're not evil at all. At least you mention your skids. If I do, it's as an afterthought. It's like "oh yeah, and two steps".

Bubbly1's picture

I say 6. Then Dh will add and two steps. Ifim by myself its just MY 6 I claim. I didn't have them. They're not "mine". So I don't claim them.