You are here

Preparing children to be self sufficient.

MamaFox's picture

Musings and such.

Granted we prepare our children to be self sufficient with things like banking and money management (we try anyway) and doing laundry and cooking.

Do you/we teach them anything beyond "basics" like that? Like how to repair plumbing or canning your own food? And I've noticed a lack of this in men my age, teaching them to properly iron a suit shirt, to crease the sleeves correctly and even how to tie a tie? Or for girls, how to..well pretty much do the same things.

I know FDH doesn't know how to tie a tie. He always had clip ons. I taught him how to do a Windsor knot. I'll teach the boys too.

Mom taught me how to tie a tie when she was Sommelier. I also learned how to darn socks, knit and sew from Granny. I learned canning on my own.

I think I need to make a list...

MamaFox's picture

Oh, and they will learn the PROPER WAY (eg no gotdang parade gloss! Spit and polish!) to shine their shoes and take care of their leather. I can put a full high shine on a pair of jump boots from the base dye up, after cleaning and conditioning them first.

Dizzy's picture

I've always felt that I was ill-prepared for adulthood. It's been a long road to learn some basics in every area of life. As for teaching my oldest, well, she's almost 18 and has lived with her dad for 10 years...I failed her. My little one, though, I still have time with her. I want to make sure she knows how to cook, clean, think,and earn a living for herself. And I sure would like to pick up knitting or quilting or something creative and useful...canning...gardening...just don't know where to start, so I pick up skills and info as different topics grab my attention...

You got skillz. I'm jealous. :/

MamaFox's picture

I honestly think its REALLY important to teach kids these things. I mean I've seen full grown adults throw away perfectly good shirt,s because they lost a button. It's like people dont care about their things anymore! I really don't understand it.

Mom took me to thrift stores when I wanted "name brand" things as a kid. I wanted Doc Martins when I was 15. She took me to a thrift store and found me a pair for $30. She taught me how to clean and condition them and make small repairs, and I had a practically new pair of Docs, that I was EXTREMELY proud of! I still have them! I got them resoled a few times since then. But they still look great!

Another reason I want to get SSstb15 (tomorrow!! *sniffle*) his first real biker jacket from a thrift store. So I can teach him how to take care of it properly.

MamaFox's picture

I might forego the biker jacket for now, since I really dont have any time with him besides supervised visitation, that the BM hasnt even set up yet. (BTW we file enforcement this coming Monday).

I actually think, I'm going to have PapaFox go see the boys one of the days I'm at work, and send him with a sack of age appropriate books, since the used book store is having a big sale Friday!

I feel I/we kind of cheaped out on the 12ss. We bought him a super soaker water gun (his b-day was the 26th). So, PF and I will be buying the oldest a special boxed set of books and then how ever many I can find that they might like in the bargain bin. Might even throw in some cool comic books too if they strike my fancy.

It's kind of cool I know how excited they will be to be given a huge bag of books for their birthdays.

MamaFox's picture

Wow. :jawdrop:

Orange County Ca's picture

My step-daughter off to college called her mother angrily and complained that mother never told her BBQ sauce came in a jar. It was always homemade at home. She was embarrassed, we were quite the opposite.

christag's picture

Honestly, my SD was similar and needed a dose of the real world. I was a working mom and she used to make snide remarks anytime I didn't make something from scratch that her BM would make. It wasn't even a concealed insult. It was directly insulting someone cooked her dinner that I was inferior to her mother.

MamaFox's picture

Pift. BBQ sauce is generally nothing but spiced ketchup anyway.

I dont understand people who cant cook. How can you not taste something and say "Hey this tastes a lot like such and such, I wonder...."

I mean thats how I learned to cook mostly. I tasted something, got a craving for it and wandered off to the kitchen to try and make something similar. Granted, I had some SPECTACULAR failures. I also managed to be the only person in my family under 30 who could replicate great grandma's pumpkin pie (One of the secret ingredients was buttered rum, or as I used, butter rum flavoring).

MamaFox's picture

dup

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

I don't get not trying to teach your child everything you know, earlier than you were taught it. I mean, isn't that how progress works? Once they know everything you know, hopefully at a much younger age than you are, they can dedicate the rest of their life to learning new stuff you didn't know so that their knowledge is more vast.

MamaFox's picture

I actually like to iron. I like the way the warm fabrics smell.

yeah. I'm weird. But I can correctly Iron the pleats into a traditional school girl skirt, and no not talking about the ones with sew in pleats either!

Dizzy's picture

I can understand that...same way I am with folding laundry...I LOVE the smell of clean laundry and sniff the clothes whilst folding like I'm in a damn commercial. Lol

AllySkoo's picture

Nah, I'll show my kids (and the skids, for that matter) something if they want to learn it. But I'm not really making a list of things to teach them. Actually, the only thing I REALLY plan on teaching my kids is how to find things out and learn for themselves - once you've got that, you can learn anything. Smile It's surprisingly uncommon, or at least 2 out of my 3 SD's don't know how to learn on their own. They have to have someone standing over them and giving them step by step instructions, or they just won't do things. My youngest SD (maybe I got to her early enough? *lol*), she's more willing to teach herself things, to try to figure things out for herself. Just like your cooking, you get some spectacular failures that way, and that's OK. You also completely master what it is you're trying to learn. Smile

Drac0's picture

I was lucky. My Dad went to a boarding school and learned...well pretty much everything....from how to fight to how to sew on a button. He taught me the basics at a young age. So by the time I was 12, I could cook, iron, pump gas in the car, babysit, do basic yoga (yes you read that right).

And yes, I learned how to make a tie.

If you Google "What every man should know" you will get a slew of hits but most of the "basic" skills seem to fall into these categories:

1) How to treat a lady
2) How to dress appropriately for an occassion
3) How to introduce yourself (handshake, smile, etc.)
4) How to operate and maintain tools/cars
5) How to manage your money
6) (and this I consider most important) How to cook!

ETA: Basic survival skills should be in the list too, but there is a large disparity here. Some sites seem to suggest that ALL MEN should know how to hunt and skin game while others suggest knowing how to tell which way is north without the use of a compass is enough...

Calypso1977's picture

sadly, we have entered an era where people pay others to do everything for them. no longer do "we" (as a society) do the following:

1. cut our kids hair
2. do our own nails/hair
3. cook meals
4. clean our own homes
5. mow our own lawns
6. teach our kids how to swim
7. entertain our kids in the summer
8. iron (that's what dry cleaners do) and many farm out laundry to wash/dry/fold service

people spend good, hard earned money to do these things.

SecondGeneration's picture

My SD is soon to be 4 and being English I've taught her one of the important things; how to make a good cup of tea!
Naturally she needs assistance but hey Blum 3

Ill post back in 10 years and see how we did lol