You are here

Overcoming Divorce, Adultry and SKIDS

StepMat789's picture

My husband I have been married for four years and we have only been happy on and off again. A giant roller coaster of emotions. So did I grab you in my headline?

I divorced my first husband because of abuse. I quickly married my second husband because well, because I was really, really stupid and my second husband was everything my first was not. I did not give myself time to heal and honestly neither did my second husband. His wife had cheated on him.

We have a "blended family." We are not a family other than we all live under the same roof. My husband has four kids. I have two. At one point in time we had five kids in our home as the oldest daughter of my husband was an adult. When I say we are not a family, it is because there is no feeling of family, no respect and no authority. I have authority over my children. My husband has none over his and I am not allowed to say or do anything with his kids as I am the mobile target of distress.

So his kids pretty much hate me for breathing and my kids too. There are times of happiness, but there is more dysfunction than happiness. A year ago I learned my husband cheated on me with his ex wife. Oh yes, the woman who cheated on him is the woman he cheated on me with. That issue is a story in itself. I stayed. Why? Because my first marriage failed and I didn't want to make my second one fail. What am I learning from all this? That I need to get my shit together and move on. It isn't just the cheating...in some whacked way I understand what happened. I do not approve of it, but I understand. The stresses of a blended family, so many kids, unresolved issues with divorce all cause issues. I should not have ever married my second husband. I know this. But, I have and now I live with the choice I made until I am in a position where I can make a better choice.

My skids are a train wrecks. Lie, cheat, steal and disrespect. Yes, they had good examples from their parents.

I can not caution people enough who are thinking of getting remarried to really look before they leap. Do you really know what you are getting yourself into. Do you really know the person you are marrying. Because the issues with the kids only get worse when you marry. Your honeymoon with the kids is the premarriage behaviors. Marriage is hard enough, the skids, kids and behaviors do not just change because you are all forced to live together. It isn't always this way, but it take two people who are strong enough to have open conversations and make decisions for the betterment of the family. There needs to be expectations, boundries and consequence.

StepMat789's picture

Thank you for the uplifting words! I really feel like I need a sign which reads...I am dumber than I look.

HungryEyes's picture

Girl. You're putting yourself and your kids through hell by staying. Get out. You don't deserve this. Marriage isn't a punishment for making that decision. He sounds awful. You have no respect for him and vice versa. Save yourself some years and get out now.

Evil stepmonster's picture

Don't let a stigma of two divorces keep you stuck some where with people you don't want to be with. You've taken the first step, now the other steps will be easier as you go along.
Step.tococis said it best...you can do this, we believe in you and would love to hear about all the happy moments you have in your future. Good luck.

Ninji's picture

You are a stronger woman than I am. If that had happened to me, I would be writing this from prison.

SugarSpice's picture

i dont understand. he cheats with the woman who cheated on HIM? that is pathetic. i will bet she was laughing to herself all the while she was doing it to him, just to have the satisfaction of having him cheat on his new wife with her.

in my case, the bm cheated on who is now my dh and left to marry her lover, who left his wife for her. 20 years down the road, the second husband cheats on her with another woman. looks like the karma train ran her over in that one.

it just so happened that the couple splitting was dividing up the property and one sd wanted to keep the silver utensils at OUR house to keep them out of the hands of the stepfather so that her mother could have them. dh was willing to go along with this. i was like, "what?! you are wishing to help the woman who cheated on you and took the kids by harboring the community property awa

not under my roof.

anyway you are right not to make a rash decision. you will decide when to leave and when it is to your advantage.