You are here

OT/ Inheritance

amber3902's picture

This is pretty off topic, but I don’t know anywhere else to look to for advice, and I'm afraid to trust anyone in "real life" with this information.

Several years ago my grandparents passed away and left behind a farm and some land. After their death, my father and his two sisters managed the subleasing of the farm. Eventually, it got to be too much for them to handle, what with their own lives, houses and families, so they decided to sell it.

The farm was sold and after paying the 15% capital gains tax, the remaining amount was divided into three parts for the three children, my two aunts and my father.
My father kept half of his portion for himself and his wife, (my stepmom), and the other half he divided up amongst his wife's four children, (my stepsiblings) and me, my brother, and my sister.

Of the children, my sister and I got the largest amounts.
My inheritance from my grandfather's farm is $22,256.00.
This is half of what I make in a year.

So far I have only told one person, someone that has been my friend for almost ten years now. She has advised me not to tell my BF.

My BF and I have been dating for nine months now. He is planning on buying a house this spring, and has asked me and my two girls to move in with him. He has told me that he will pay all the bills, that I will just need to take care of me and my girl’s needs and buy groceries for the household. Currently, we each have our own apartments with furniture in them, so we both are supposed to be saving up money right now, he for the down payment and me to pay movers to move my stuff into the new house.

There are a few things that I want to get for myself and my girls, and it will look suspicious to my BF if he sees me buying things when I am supposed to be saving my money.

I’m considering “fudging the truth”. I could tell him I inherited some money, but tell him it was a couple thousand dollars. But a part of me feels that it is wrong to hide this from my BF. My friend said I should not tell him anything, that while he seems like a nice enough guy, people act funny when money is involved. While I’ve been dating this guy for nine months and feel that I know him, (I've met his family and friends) but at the same time, I don’t want to be naïve about the situation. I don’t know, he could now expect, since I have all this money now, for me to contribute something towards the purchase of the house, and if I refuse it could cause all kinds of problems.

So I’m torn. Should I tell my BF the whole truth, the “fudge” truth, or nothing at all? Any advice is welcome.

amber3902's picture

"How would YOU feel if he lied to you ?" That's exactly what I'm thinking, Echo. Which is why I feel guilty about keeping this information from him.

My plans for the money - $10K to pay off student loan debt,
$3k to buy my D14 braces.
The rest of the money, invest.

Oh yeah, I'd like to spend a little, (like $100) on a few wants and needs for me and my girls, like clothes for my D14, and getting highlights for my hair.

smdh's picture

Depends on who your bf is. Does he consider your money to be his? Will he expect you to use it for your "joint" life? Will it make him change his mind about taking care of you or paying the bills? Frankly, these are the kinds of questions you should want the answers to even if you didn't inherit money. It is important to understand the full financial expectations of the person with whom you are sharing a life.

I had a substantial savings and a tract of land when I met dh simply because I am very conscious of saving and not buying shit I don't need. He, on the other hand, had nothing.

We did use some of my savings to pay for infertility treatments, but that is it. It is my money. It is my land. It was mine before he met me and it is mine now. And it is willed to our son. My dh never expected me to use it for anything related to our relationship.

Willow2010's picture

I am not a fan of lying at all. So I would just tell him..”Hey…I inherited this money and this is what I am doing with this money. I am buying my kids and I some stuff and the rest is going into my savings for me and my kids when needed.” Then leave it at that.
You have only been dating for 9 months…I think it would be absurd for him to think he should have some of your money.

And JMHO…I also don’t think it is a good idea to be talking about living together after dating for only 9 months either. If you knew him better, you would know how he would react to this money situation. If you don’t’ know how he will react to this kind of situation, then you really don’t know how he will react to other, bigger, situations. Not judging, just warning from experience.

amber3902's picture

You are right I would not be helping out with the bills, however, he will not be supporting my girls in that I will pay for everything they need. And I do plan on purchasing the groceries, and things for the house when needed, like lamps, curtains, stuff like that.

We have a pretty clear idea of who is going to pay for what: he'll pay the bills, food and drinks when we go out, I'll pay for me and my girl's needs, like clothes, extra curriculars, after school care, etc.

And I did offer to pay something towards the bills, but he insisted that he wants to pay for everything. He told me he just wants me to take care of what my girls need and to put the rest of my money towards paying off my debt.

amber3902's picture

I'm leaning towards your advice, Cheri.

Like you say, money does do funny things to people, and I wonder like you say, since I now have all this money, he'll think I can afford to put something towards the downpayment, etc.

There is quite a gap between our incomes, I make $43K a year, he makes $125K, and I don't doubt that is why he is so willing to foot the bill for everything.

And it's true, I've only known him for nine months. While I've met his family and a lot of his friends, you just never know - how many times have we read on here about a woman who thought she knew her husband, until they started living together...

amber3902's picture

Yes, I think I remember that post. After she moved in, her guy wanted her to contribute $60,000 towards the house, I think it was.

Yeah, while I "know" this guy, you just never know. He is offering to pay all the bills, all I have to do is take care of my girls and pay for groceries. So it seems like he's a decent fellow. He's often said that he doesn't feel like a man if he's depending on a woman to take care of him.

I agree with you that two years does seem to be the bench mark. The last relationship I had lasted two years. That one I wound up breaking up with him because of issues with his son.

But basically, I do want to have a "plan B", so just in case BF turns crazy on me I have an easy escape route.

goincrazy.com's picture

I would wait to tell him, if you do tell him, I think you $ would be gone quick "bc you can afford this and that". IMO I would act like I don't have it. When you have been together a few years or get engaged or married or whatever I would say " I have a little nest egg saved up that I inherited a long time ago that I don't touch"

Or

You never know what the future holds, after people get screwed sometimes they keep a savings for themselves that no one knows about just in case they need to get out and get out quick.........I'm sure you will do the right thing. Just don't feel guilty about not telling him. It's your's and even though you are in love ou haven't been together tha long and $ changes people.

amber3902's picture

"after people get screwed sometimes they keep a savings for themselves that no one knows about just in case they need to get out and get out quick"

that's another thought I had, if I move in with him and things don't work out, I will need money to move out and get my own place.

Disneyfan's picture

Due to the way the new home will be set up, I say don't tell him. You and your girls are moving into his home. He will be the only paying all household bills. He's the only one investing in the home.

If things don't work out, he can bounce the three of you out of his home.

I think you should keep the info about the money to yourself until he takes steps to make his home OUR home.

oldone's picture

Hell I am happily married to DH and he has no clue how much money I have, what it is invested in or even where the accounts are.

It is not lying to him not to bare all of your financial details. Assuming that he really is a good guy and that you have a long-term future with him it will be to your benefit as a couple if you pay off your student loans.

kathc's picture

I'd stick most of it in the bank or invest it somewhere safe, as most of the others have suggested.

Take a bit of it and get your highlights, buy your daughter some clothes, etc.

Don't say anything about the money.

If he asks about you spending a few hundred of "mad money" just tell him your dad gave you some cash out of his share (which he did) and do NOT discuss any amounts. Keep it as your "safe fund" in case you ever need it.

2Tired4Drama's picture

My advise: Get financial advice FIRST!

I know you may want to pay off your loans but that may not be the wisest thing in the long run. Especially if your loans are low-interest and you have more time to pay them back. You may be much better off investing the whole lump sump in an account that will grow.

You may aslo want to look into putting this money into a revokable trust - go to your local bank and ask if they have a trust department who you can work with.

In any case, this money is yours and your family's. Of course you can choose to do what you want with it and that means spending it however you want to. But I certainly wouldn't let BF or your pending co-havitation situation have any influence over that.

I would merely say to him that I had inherited a modest amount of money (he doesn't need to know how much) and I was looking into investing it long-term for my kids' future.

nothinforya's picture

You are not marrying him. You will be cohabitating in HIS house. That money is your safety net for yourself and your children, should this short-term relationship fail to progress. If the interest on your student loans is tax deductible, you might want to leave them alone, especially if they are low interest, and simply keep the money safe and sound, available if you need it. Money is freedom. If he turns into a jerk when you move in together, you can leave. Today, you think that it isn't possible that he could change, but as many of us have seen, it takes more than nine months of dating to really know someone. He will be revealed over time, and he may not be who you think he is. I don't understand the comments that you would be lying to him if you don't tell him every detail of your financial situation. Maybe if you had been married for a long time, but in this new situation, it is none of his business what resources you choose to use and how you use them, as long as you are not taking advantage of him. Especially as an unmarried couple.

amber3902's picture

Thanks everyone for your input. I went to the bank today and deposited the money. My hand was shaking when I signed the check, I've never had this much money in my life.

I just finished my last semester of school this past fall, so I don't have to start paying the loans back right away. It's just in my nature, whenever I get an extra bit of money to use it to pay down any debt. But in this case I agree it's better to put the money in some kind of investment and make that money earn some interest.

Now that I've had more time to think, there are several things that I'd like to get done. Both me and my girls have cavities that need to be filled. I've been spacing out the visits, so I wouldn't have to pay too much at one time, now I'll be able to get the cavities filled at a faster rate. And there are some car repairs that I've been putting off as well. I'm also going to put some money into an education fund for my girls, my D14 already has one started, I'll add to that one and start one for my D7.

Also, I think holding onto the money JUST in case things don't work out with my BF is the best bet. I've always believed in having a back up plan. From the get go, I have been concerned what would happen if my BF should suddenly die while me and my girls are living with him. He's fairly healthy, but you never know. There is no way I would be able to afford the mortgage on my own, plus the house is going to be in his name only. I talked to him about what would happen should something happen to him and he mentioned setting up a trust fund to cover the cost of the mortgage should something happen. But we haven't even moved in yet, so we'll see if that happens.

I completely agree that while I do trust him, at the same time I've seen it happen too many times to women that the man they thought they knew changed, or the blinders came off, or the "real" man came out. Heck, that happened to me in my first marriage.

I haven't exactly figured out yet if I'll tell him I got a few thousand or not, but I am certainly not going to tell him the total figure. This money is my safety net should anything bad happen.

While I am so glad to be getting this money, it's a bittersweet moment for me. The reason I have this money is because my grandparents are no longer here. I miss them so!! I'd give up every dollar if it meant I could have them back. I would like to talk to my BF about how much I miss them, but can't because then I'd have to explain about the money. Thanks for listening.